PDA

View Full Version : Panic over everything

flappergirl
27-05-18, 23:44
I am totally failing to get a grip on my HA. I am undergoing CBT for GAD which manifests at times as HA. Now is one of these times. In the last week, I have been convinced that I have:

Ovarian cancer
Breast cancer
Bowel cancer
Pancreatic cancer

....and now I am fretting over a large freckle which I am convinced is skin cancer. It does not fit any of the danger signs that I have seen on the internet (not trying to google but have done a couple of searches). It just looks weird. I know it was there last year and I don’t think it is much different but now I am obsessed with it. I will take it to the GP as I have fair skin and tonnes of moles/freckles so I guess i need to be careful. There is another freckle of a similar size and colour about 2 inches away but apart from those, my other freckles are smaller. I am trying to calm myself by telling myself that it might be an age spot. (I am nearly 40 eek).

I am so sad that this HA gets me when I am low and I am struggling to climb back out of it. Any advice please people? Xx

Fishmanpa
27-05-18, 23:55
I am undergoing CBT for GAD which manifests at times as HA..... Any advice please people? Xx

My advice would be to use some of the tools and techniques, you've learned or are learning in therapy. What exercise do you think would help you here?

Positive thoughts

flappergirl
28-05-18, 00:05
I’m not sure about the exercises.... maybe I have not done enough sessions...I have 5 sessions left. I have been told to focus on the here and now, and not to listen to my panic, but that is hard to do at the moment. I don’t know any other exercises. 🤔 In my sessions I’ve just been looking at perceptions of worry, and model of worry - ie scenario, behaviours, outcomes etc. I’m stuck at the moment as my anxiety has different foci and my homework is not on HA, so I am struggling to do any of the behavioural experiments.

I am currently telling myself of the ABC check for skin cancer and reassuring myself that I don’t meet any of these, and trying to get myself to stop.

protein
28-05-18, 00:10
Hi there, what I do when faced with panic attacks is instead of being afraid of them just say to yourself, "bring it on, is that the best you have", panic attacks are like a bully in the playground, the more you react to them the worse they get, ignore them and they go away, try it?

flappergirl
28-05-18, 00:20
I have worked through an ABCD thing for the anxiety, and am trying to now challenge my worst case thinking!! I will try ignoring it and not let it bully me! Thanks xx

Fishmanpa
28-05-18, 00:20
There are great resources right here! (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=211324)

Action works better than words :winks:

Positive thoughts

flappergirl
28-05-18, 00:24
Thank you! I have been looking online for stuff also but this look great! Thanks x