PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety or Medical condition?

LyftIt997
28-05-18, 06:48
Just like the title says, I'm lately being worried a lot whether I'm just facing anxiety physical symptoms or I might be having a medical condition going on.

I'm 21 years old and I started facing these symptoms after I had a very stressful moment in my life, my dad being rushed to the hospital in very critical situation.

Well that is now over with and he's getting better for the good but, since then I have been facing the following symptoms:

-Pretty much non-stop pulsating abdomen/stomach not too strong, and I don't seem to notice it unless I focus on it, or lay down and watch my stomach
-Chest pains in both left and right side but mostly in my left side as sharp pain which doesn't last long or a tightness that last a bit longer maybe 10minutes~
-Pain under the left and right rib which is stabbing and doesn't last long also
-Pain in the upper back which is tight or sort of stabbing not like the chest tho
-Muscle twitches in many parts of the body, mostly calves,legs,finger,neck,abdomen etc.
-Sometimes I can feel my heart beat everywhere and like my heart is pounding so loud

NOTES:
-I'm not taking any medication
-I'm a little overweight but physically active too
-I smoke a pack a day
-I don't drink alcohol, beer once a month doesn't count tho :D
-I don't have social anxiety tho, I go out, meet people etc.

I'm hoping to hear your opinion whether what's going on with me, I would never think something like this would be stronger than me as I consider myself a really strong person in my mind but well...

Should I be taking B6, Magnesium supplements? Does any of that help?

Any reply is appreciated.

cattia
28-05-18, 08:39
Having anxiety doesn't mean you're not a strong person and if you're telling yourself that then you're putting unnecessary pressure on yourself which will only make things worse. You said you've been through a hard time and perhaps (like me) you perceive yourself as someone who is able to just get on with things when stress hit and cope. I've learned over the years (I'm 41 now!) that this can be an unhelpful way of thinking because by not allowing yourself to really feel and process negative feelings and being upset, it comes out in other ways, i.e.health anxiety. Maybe none of this is true for you, I'm just explaining how things have worked for me.
As for whether you're physically ill or not, that's the million dollar question that we all struggle with and what keeps us in this cycle. All you can do in the end is work on trusting your doctor and believing that they would find something wrong if there actually was a physical problem. This isn't as easy as it sounds and this is the main struggle for me. There are certainly people who've had a physical illness that was passed off as anxiety but they are a small minority compared with those of us who have anxiety that we pass off as a physical illness. The symptoms of anxiety ARE very physical indeed and it makes you feel physical pain, so it's unsurprising that it's hard to distinguish from other things, but the fact that you're posting here is proof that you acknowledge anxiety as at least part of the problem.