PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody suffer with diarrhoea via anxiety?

reddevil
24-07-07, 07:39
Hi all,

( Crude subject, I apologize )

I was wondering if anybody has diarrhoea or there stools come out all slushy because of anxiety?

This is my latest symtom and according to the NHS and BUPA website, diarrhoea can be cause via anxiety but I would like to hear from experiance anxiety sufferers please.

I have had it for several weeks but I must admit that I have been concentrating on it and worring about it.
A few weeks back, my doctor put me on LOPERAMIDE, which did work but I have been off them for a week and it has come back but I have been worring the same week about moving jobs.

Thank you all for your time,

Red

Jo Jo
24-07-07, 08:16
Hi Red

Bless you, I have the same and it is awful!! Each time I start to get worked up my tummy goes. I also suffer with IBS and it doesnt help me at all.

As your moving jobs this is no doubt adding to the issue, plus you focusing so much and worring it is adding to the problem.

Have you tried any relaxation techniques?? I know it might sound pants but it does tend to help me, you need to clear you mind and focus on something positive, breath calmly. Try this each night before you go to bed and in the morning.

Hope it helps!!!

Jo Jo :flowers:

happyone
24-07-07, 08:50
Oh lord yes!

red, if a situation comes about that makes me anxious, I have to go instantly or I am doubled up in pain.

I got it explained to me that the reason for this is that the blood is going to the vital organs when you are in a 'flight or fight' situation, therefore blood is taken away from the digestive organs. In some people, that could make them more prone to being constipated as the gut just slows right down, but generally it means the water than is in your bowel, that would ordinarily be absorbed by your body as it moves along the digestive tract, is still there. Thus you get watery poos!
Another side effect of this blood going to the vital organs, is that you can feel nauseous, or actually sick as the food sitting in your stomach is just sitting there and not being digested.

it helps me to know it is a normal reaction to anx, even if not a very pleasant one (well, there aren't many pleasant ones eh?:wacko: )

happyone
xx

jo61
24-07-07, 10:27
Yes, you're truely not alone. With me it comes and goes. Some medications can cause it at the start. I just take imodium which keeps it under control when it hits.

Piglet
24-07-07, 12:09
Oh goodness me yes - I can clear myself out for days (how nice Piglet) when I have something stressful to face like the dentist or something.

I've been the same way for years even before I started with panic attacks - a trip to the hospital or dentist and whoosh quite a few times, and then I probably won't need to go again for weeks, such is the thoroughness of the clearout (again how charming Piglet)!! :blush: :yesyes:

Colonic irrigation - nah that's for cissies.

Love Piglet :flowers:

Southern_Belle
26-07-07, 00:12
LOL @ Piglet. Yes I have these wonderful "episodes" too. I have tons of food allergies so I never know if it is my IBS, stress, anxiety or a food allergy. Honestly I don't care I just want out of the water closet. :shrug:

Laura :blush:

happyone
26-07-07, 07:44
I love how on this site we can have such a laugh at ourselves!

Piglet

Colonic irrigation - nah that's for cissies.
The amount of times I have thought....nah there CAN't be any more to come!!!

Laura

Honestly I don't care I just want out of the water closet. :shrug: LOL! Snap! So do my family want me out! thankfully we have just had an en suite fitted and this one is going to have a lock fitted, cos the family bathroom is open house!

Happyone
xx

Nibbles
26-07-07, 14:18
LMAO Piglet (excuse the pun) :roflmao:

When I get nervous I can feel the need to go to the toilet sometimes and yes what comes out does 'whoosh' as Piglet so elegantly put it! I read somewhere that its to do with our ancestors? We automatically empty ourselves so we can run away from sabre toothed cats really fast or something? :shrug:

debera
26-07-07, 14:20
yes i get it too with anxiety ever morning. so you are not alone on that one
debera

Piglet
26-07-07, 14:26
When I am that empty I feel so light that I could run like a gazelle!!

It's quite useful really and my skin always looks well bright and clear afterwards - better than a facial and a whole lot cheaper!!:yesyes:

You see there are upsides to all this anxiety malarky you know!!

Love Piglet :flowers:

samc100
26-07-07, 15:39
I'm another one who suffers from this! I find taking fibregel helps regulateme to ensure I am not constipated (as this apparently makes things worse ?) but when the tummy starts churning there is no stopping it!

looking4answers
02-08-07, 07:26
I think anxiety could do this but found out that most of mine comes from being lactose intollarant that I didnt know for a long time.I grant you that can achieve a high state of anxiety and have to use the bathroom but well check and see if you have this reaction with milk or cheese and especailly ice cream..Michael

sfee
27-11-07, 08:21
Hi - I have exactly the same reaction too, and take an Imodium when it happens but my therapist has said that you shouldn't take imodium for a long period of time. But what else can I do? I can't make the half hour travel to work if I haven't taken the Imodium!

shoegal
27-11-07, 08:53
Yes I have the same problem too. It's definately the anxiety in my case. If my Dad comes round and says he's taking me to the Dentist... well lets just say within minutes the toilet is my new best friend! :wacko:

I heard that (in terms of fight or flight) our bodies expel the waste as quickly as possible so that we can run faster!

Not a very nice symptom, but yes, deffo anxiety. :blush:

Love and hugs from shoegal xxx

peach
28-11-07, 08:59
and think of all the quality 'me' time we get in the bathroom....hehehe....

ive got ibs, so ive resorted to a good magazine and book stack in the cupboard next to the toilet.

i was thinking of buying that toilet paper i saw once that has cross word puzzles printed on it...hehe.....

mirry
01-12-07, 15:52
count me in on this one ,:blush:

infact Ive had it very severe lately so much so 12 times a day was possible.

I never got pain just a sudden need.

The doctor wouldnt just give me pills , NO he wanted more blood:ohmy: ,
am awaiting the results but Im sure mine is stress related.
Something else I wondered was this ........

years ago I used to just get stomach pains and cramps with anxiety,
then it changed to getting dizziness only,
then it was difficulty breathing and palpatations,
now its mainly, needing the loo and dizziness :shrug:

maybe our anxiety comes out in different ways over time , so if we are experiancing a new symptoms maybe that means we are gonna drop a old symptom :yesyes: .

take care :hugs: and remember there is always a loo nearby some where.

cindy2004
25-05-10, 16:50
Hi, reply to last posted blog from Red. I had diarrhoea for about 8 months, had all tests - all negative. I have recently been off work for 7 weeks due to broken foot - no problems with diarrhoea during this time. I am now back at work and it has started again (no different eating habits!). I am sure this is stress related as have suffered from anxiety since early teens, so yes this may definitely be the cause. BUT, what is the answer? Who knows - something I will have to live with in the present time of high unemployment! Anxiety is a very ambiguous diagnosis as effects everyone in different ways and to different degrees. Learning to live with anxiety is difficult, to wake up every morning with a knotted stomach is torture. Hey ho!

LittleMissPanicky
25-05-10, 16:58
definately hunny xx

LadySpatula
12-01-13, 22:58
Thank you for this thread as I was so worried about my toilet related anxiety that I think it may have caused some but now I know I am not alone in it I know it was a long time ago that anybody posted in the thread

stulee09
02-03-17, 23:07
I take lanprozole for stomach related anxiety issues as I get diarrhea from when I suffer with panic attacks

paranoid-viking
03-03-17, 19:06
Happens a llot. It is one of the most common anxiety symptoms there is. Ever heard the expression"he was so scared he was sh*tting his pants"? Such expressions have meanings.