PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help me? Lump in a breast

Boosh
30-05-18, 23:01
Wow, it's like third thread I start at this forum in the last month or two. My HA is getting out of control. But this time, it's kind of more real.

I found a lump in my breast. It's oval, hard, and moves pretty freely around the breast. I've also had myriad of other symptoms, some I suppose from HA. I went to the doctor today and he told me that at my age (25) there are really low chances it's actually cancer (~10%) and that I should do the ultrasound nd biopsy of the mass, which of course I will do, but I have to wait another 2 weeks for that.

It's a long time for me, and I'm obviously panicking. I've had problems with my spine for half a year now and when I've started googling breast cancer (I know it was a mistake) I found that it's the most likely place to metastasize to. Sigh.

And 10% seems really high for me. I mean I know, odds could be worse, but since not so long ago, even though I was terrified of getting cancer, at some level I KNEW the chances are microscopial. And now it's 10%. I'm really scared, have you had any similar experience?

Fishmanpa
30-05-18, 23:04
And 10% seems really high for me.

90% benign seems really high to me :shrug:

Positive thoughts

Boosh
30-05-18, 23:07
90% benign seems really high to me :shrug:

Positive thoughts

Thank you :)

I guess it depends how you look at it. 90% sounds fine, but it went very quickly for me from ~0,01 (I guess normal, healthy, young person?) to 0,1, and it terrified me.

Limeslime
30-05-18, 23:21
Where did you get 10% from?! I think what you mean is 90% of breast lumps are benign. However, in your 20s your risk of breast cancer is 1 in 1700!!! I’m not sure what that is in percent, but it’s a lot less than 10%!!!
Also, do you have family history of BC? Do you smoke? Do you drink? Are you obese? All of these affect your risk too. So the less of them you can relate to, the more reassuring!
Aaaaaand, a lump that moves is almost always a good sign! A breast tumour often feels like a hard piece of coral or bone, and is fixed in one place!
I know it’s scary, but from an outsiders point of view, I’m sure you’ll be fine!

Boosh
30-05-18, 23:26
Yeah, but this 1 in 1700 is for all women, including those without masses in their breasts, it goes down pretty fast once you discover the lump.

Anyhow, I do smoke, and I do drink regularly :( I'm not obese though, and I do not have history of BC in my family.
It's good to know though about breast tumors fixed in one place, it's reassuring. Thank you for your answer :)

Limeslime
30-05-18, 23:32
Sounds a lot like a cyst. But you’re in the right hands now! I know two weeks feels horrendous...I had to wait 4 weeks for the melanoma clinic, and the waiting was so gut wrenching! But nothing can compare to the exhilaration you feel when they reassure you that everything is fine! And I’m sure this will be the case for you!
Best of luck!

Leslie735
31-05-18, 02:51
Sounds like a fibroadenoma (breast mouse) completely 100% benign.

Andrash
31-05-18, 18:15
Yeah, but this 1 in 1700 is for all women, including those without masses in their breasts, it goes down pretty fast once you discover the lump.

Anyhow, I do smoke, and I do drink regularly :( I'm not obese though, and I do not have history of BC in my family.
It's good to know though about breast tumors fixed in one place, it's reassuring. Thank you for your answer :)

My mother in law has recently had breast cancer (she is in remission now). Anyway, she had a lump, but hers was completely different from what you are describing: it was hard, firm, couldn't be moved and irregularly shaped.

Of course I am no expert, but from what you're describing it doesn't sound like cancer at all. Not to mention that your age works strongly in your favour. Therefore I am completely convinced that, two weeks from now, you will receive good news.

Here is a similar thread to yours where a forum member also discovered lumps in breasts which turned out completely benign.

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=148898

Chin up and keep it up! :)

Boosh
02-06-18, 10:29
Thank you all for your replies. I hope you're right and it will all be ok. I'll update in two weeks for anyone struggling with similar issues in the future.

LoveyHowell
02-06-18, 22:32
I don’t have much to add to the great responses you’ve already gotten. I think it’s most likely something totally benign. My doctor once had me feel a model of what breast cancer feels like and it was very hard and non-moveable. I just wanted to wish you well while you wait. I know it’s so hard! Hang in there!

StephA
02-06-18, 22:56
Chances that it’s cancer are low, but it is smart of you to get it checked out. My breast tumor felt like a peach pit. That’s the best way I can describe it. Good luck and keep us posted!

Boosh
04-06-18, 05:50
Thanks for your kind words.
Mine felt like an eyeball I guess, but hard. Now I don't feel it anymore, for some reason it got me scared even more. My breasts are generally big and always felt lumpy (one doctor told me that some women have breasts constisting mostly of fat, while mine are really dense, that's why they feel that way). So now I'm checking my breasts several times a day and some of this tissue kind of feels weird and I'm not sure, maybe it's breast tissue, maybe those are small lumps, I don't know, I'm panicking.
I also have other symptoms so now I'm scared it has metasized. My spine feels sore and lumpy (spine tumors from breast cancer?), I have mild, but constant pain under my ribs (bowel cancer? lung tumors?), my heart is constantly fluttering (I know it's probably anxiety, but it scares me). Uh, I just want this ultrasound so badly, but I have to wait another week.

Boosh
15-06-18, 19:12
A little update...

It turns out I have two lumps :( On in each breast, similar size, density and so on. Doctor said I should control them for couple of months to see if they grow bigger or get a biopsy if I'm anxious. I will get biopsy of course ;) But I have to wait another month :/

I'm not panicking right now, just feeling generally anxious it might be cancer. Doctor told me it's 98% benign. I guess I should be happy. But that means my chances of cancer are 2%. It seems a lot.

I will update the thread in a month.

Leslie735
15-06-18, 19:28
Take reassurance your Dr doesn't think it's anything bad. I understand the anxiety completely though. I'll be praying for you!! *Hugs*

Boosh
03-07-18, 21:00
i finally got to see the gynecologist... He told me he can't help me in any way and I should see the oncologist.

I really feel down since yesterday. It's another month of waiting. According to gynecologist, the oncologist will decide if and what kind of biopsy should be made. So I assume another month or more waiting for the biopsy, and then another X weeks waiting for results. I'm exhausted and very scared. I'm 25 and I didn't expect to hear at this age "uhm, yeah, you should definitely see an oncologist with that".

I asked the doctor if this is serious, and he told me "how would I know, I told you, go see the oncologist". He didn't even touch my breasts to feel the lumps. In the meantime, my back hurts more than ever, I'm afraid it's from lung cancer/spine cancer from breast cancer. I'm scared :/