PDA

View Full Version : Changing mole? Eyes please?

Limeslime
31-05-18, 13:00
This is the infamous mole that I’ve posted about many times! It started as a regular looking, fleshy, raised mole. I scratched it off while trying to retrieve an ingrown hair from inside of it back in January! It grow back looking like this!
I was referred to the melanoma clinic for it whilst it looked like the top pic. After 4 weeks of it not changing, they told me they weren’t concerned and discharged me. That was in April.
Since then I think it has changed...but the changes are quite subtle. The line of pigment on top of the mole has almost diasappeared, and the ‘legs’ seem different in width. There are also two hairs growing through it. And other small changes.
I just wondered if people think it’s worth going back to the doctor over this? I’m trying to not run to the doctor so much, and sometimes my HA makes me see things as more dramatic than they really are. (A mountain out of a MOLE hill!)
Anyway, any opinions would be much appreciated.
Top pic is from March, bottom pic is today

hanshan
31-05-18, 14:21
Diagnosing melanomas from moles requires a medical degree, and then some specialization in that area. This means that I imagine that nobody here can give you an expert opinion.

If a doctor experienced in diagnosing moles told you it was okay, I would tend to believe them. The alternative is to find another skin cancer clinic, and have another check. In Australia, there are many skin cancer clinics in major cities, as Aussies have routinely fried their skins in the past, but I don't know how the situation is where you are.

Elen
31-05-18, 14:27
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?p=1760556#post1760556

Please read the below post from Admin. You are posting about a lot of different things frequently. Perhaps start a thread where you can keep all of your worries in one place.

Can posters, especially those who are posting a lot about a variety of fears please confine their posts to one thread.

This helps others to build up a clear picture of what is happening and makes it easier to offer suitable advice.

You may not see the pattern but usually it is there, especially if you are posting frequently about different things.

Your co-operation with this would be greatly appreciated.

Elen

Limeslime
31-05-18, 14:56
Thank you. I’m not asking for a diagnosis, just an opinion on whether or not others would go back to the GP over such subtle changes?

---------- Post added at 14:45 ---------- Previous post was at 14:44 ----------

Or are they even subtle? I don’t believe my own eyes these days...

---------- Post added at 14:56 ---------- Previous post was at 14:45 ----------

but I don't know how the situation is where you are.

In the UK we see our GP (general practitioner) who will decide whether or not it justifies a referral to the melanoma clinic where we can have access to a dermatologist. I believe each referral costs the NHS £500 (just for the referral...not even including treatment costs!) and cos of this, they have strict referral criteria.

hanshan
31-05-18, 16:09
It's obviously not so easy for skin cancer referrals as it is in Australia, but the good news is that skin cancer is much less likely in Australia than it is in the UK. In Australia, most white Australians over 50 get some form of skin cancer - an unfortunate legacy of a life in the sun. It's just treated as normal, though there are many warnings to cover up.

You could always take your holiday in Australia , and arrange a self-funded trip to one of the many skin cancer clinics, which would cost somewhere in the order of around 50 UKP for a visit.

But the main issue is health anxiety. If multiple doctors tell you that there is no underlying illness, then it is the health anxiety that you should be focusing on.