PDA

View Full Version : Slimming

mezzaninedoor
31-05-18, 13:08
I hope this isnt a triggery subject as I know people can have big body issues.

However with the Quetiapine I take I have seen my weight bounce up by 20kg in the last 18 months and I need to lose weight. So I have joined Slimming World in an effort to discipline myself, first week loss is 4.5 ibs on 18.75 stone weight. Hopefully I can see this through but I'd welcome any tips that people who have achieved sensible weight losses.

MyNameIsTerry
01-06-18, 03:00
Nice to hear from you, Tony. How is your wife now? Has her leg sorted itself out?

Those antipsychotics are known for weight gain, especially at higher doses. They tend to slow metabolism.

Great to hear you are having success though. :yesyes::yahoo: If you can lose some then it makes sense that whilst the drug piled it on through increased appetite you have the ability to address reducing in perhaps the same way as if you weren't on it?

Are you doing any exercise with this plan? You might find some weight based exercise helps too (even if it's bodyweight work) as it will prevent muscle loss due to dieting.

We tend to lose body water first but you will see the scales being progressively in your favour and you will see the changes in your body too.

I'm having to make some changes myself as I went for one of those >40 free NHS health checks where they found my cholesterol was raised (hardly surprising as I had slipped on healthier foods) and I now have Hypertension. So, got to change the sugar & salt a bit. I've lost a few pounds with some minor changes but I doubt I would need to lose more than a stone anyway as I'm only a bit overweight (always been thin).

Just a matter of getting older in my case though and listening to the body when it gives a wake up call.

Good luck!

Also, you might have seen hanshan talk about weight loss? He is on Mirt which is known for appetite stimulation and has talked about losing quite a lot over a year and he's a mature man to my knowledge which is also a good sign as the metabolism isn't quite what it was when we 20 and gives us hope!

mezzaninedoor
01-06-18, 12:45
Yes Im trying for fitness as well as a secondary thing alongside Slimming World. Im well aware the first week weight loss is normally always larger than subsequent losses.

Fitness wise Im going on lunchtime walks at work & walking the dog twice a day at the moment, trying to get that as a routine to help alongside the food optimisation.

I was warned about the Quetiapine affects but didnt expect it to be quite so pronounced and when in depression I have been very sedentary.

Wifeys ankle is much much better but will never be perfect.
Im quite quiet online as we have lots going on family wise at the moment and generally dont get online as much as I used to.

Always good to hear the latest banter on 'Misc'

Noivous
07-06-18, 01:47
One thing Mezz is that any weight loss plan has to start in the mind. Once one becomes determined and enthused in the mind the plan isn't hard to stick with. A few weeks ago I cut out anything baked (except a potato that is). But no bread muffins bagels ect...absolutely no baked goods. That definitely helps alot. Not only with the weight but how you feel physically overall.

Good luck.

mezzaninedoor
12-06-18, 08:15
Yeah Noivous, I had completely cut out chocolate, biscuits, baked goods but am eating rice & pasta with portion control as part of meals

We are cooking all our meals from scatch, no pre processed foods or ready meals

mezzaninedoor
03-07-18, 13:07
Wow. Im so pleased with my June efforts.
I got Slimmer of the Month losing 8kg
Down from 118.5 to 110.5kg

Have completely cut out Chocolate & Biscuits
Have mainly been preparing all meals from scratch

MyNameIsTerry
04-07-18, 01:59
Brilliant news, Tony!!! :yesyes::yahoo:

Well done!!!

Noivous
05-07-18, 12:17
Ah the power of cutting carbs...especially crappy carbs. Good for you Mezz. It's amazing how much weight one can lose just by altering the diet. Then through in some exercise and you're really moving.

It's pretty simple really. Eat less walk more.

Lucylee
05-07-18, 12:33
slimming world is amazing however if youre like me and binge it its not very good as i noticied i wasnt eating anything really because i was afrad to put weight on, i was afraid to look at the numbers on the scale and i was also weighing myself everyday. however eating more healtier but tasteir foods i would say slimming world. try not to cut meals out just to rop more pounds try do a bit of walking. it truely helps you beig out in nature and thinking positive things

ServerError
05-07-18, 22:47
Exercise is incredibly good for body and mind, but its importance in weight loss can be overstated. It helps yes, but nothing is more significant than eating right. I would argue intermittent fasting is more important than exercise specifically when weight loss is the aim. But strength training and cardio dobhave their place.

I would say don't be afraid to eat fat. Everything we've been told about fat from natural unprocessed sources was based on a mistake. The dietary world is starting to wake up to this. The first thing to do is cut out sugar and go easy on carbs in general. Attempting to go low fat just makes you miserable and is harder to stick to. It's also unnecessary.

Noivous
06-07-18, 00:14
Yes very true about fats. Fats won't make one fat. Fats have zero carbs and don't get stored in the body. But fats can affect the heart. Everything in moderation really. I'm for fasting but I place more emphasis on exercise than you do. Though I do feel diet is paramount to good health and proper weight.

MyNameIsTerry
06-07-18, 01:36
It's about calories too. Fats have more calories than proteins, carbs have even more. Whilst fats are mostly healthy it's always about being sensible and slathering 500g of peanut butter on your toast each day will result in you...getting overweight.

Fasting is useful but I'm conscious that it's being hijacked by the celebrity world therefore will be prone to a lot of BS getting adding just as it does with a lot of things they go nuts about.

Exercise is about so much more than weight. You can eat healthy and still be unhealthy because you don't do what your body was created to do. It's always about healthy living and I doubt that part has changed over the years, simply we've overcomplicated it all and are now turning back to the simple. It was the same with the bodybuilding world, advanced machines that turned out to be far les useful than a good old fashioned kettlebell.

Noivous
06-07-18, 14:02
Funny you should mention celebs and fasting, Terry. I just heard yesterday that a couple of famous lefties, Martin Sheen and Alec Baldwin are going on a hunger strike to protest...I don't know...something to do with Trump I guess...but get this - FOR 24 HOURS! Oh the dedication of these celebs. Instead of being famous celebrities they'll be famished celebrities! :D

MyNameIsTerry
06-07-18, 15:47
:roflmao: we used to do that at school.

To be honest, Baldwin could do with a few weeks of fasting anyway :winks: Can you "ego fast"? If so, a few years :yesyes:

What's their equivalent of fasting anyway? A day without their lobsters flown in by helicopter.

mezzaninedoor
10-07-18, 08:15
Thanks server and lucy
Im trying really hard but with the football at the moment Im wanting to drink those cold beers !!!

Noivous
11-07-18, 04:49
Thanks server and lucy
Im trying really hard but with the football at the moment Im wanting to drink those cold beers !!!

I thought you drank your beer warm over there? :D

---------- Post added at 03:49 ---------- Previous post was at 03:48 ----------

Btw some lite beers have only 5 carbs a bottle (12oz.)

MyNameIsTerry
30-07-18, 09:47
Tony,

There was a study out recently from John Hopkins about the effects of nitrates in processed foods on mania & hyperactivity. You seem to be feeling better on your new diet and it made me wonder about this (in general for us all really).

WiseMonkey
30-07-18, 11:03
As we age protein actually becomes more important, good diet is lean protein and low density carbs ie mostly vegetable with 1 piece of fruit per day. A hundred years ago people only ate seasonal fruit available to them, but these days most types are available all year round. Also drinking lots of water 1.5 litres per day (5-6 glasses) helps.

Team that up with 1 hours walking per day and that should keep you at a stable weight.

Noivous
30-07-18, 14:39
As we age protein actually becomes more important, good diet is lean protein and low density carbs ie mostly vegetable with 1 piece of fruit per day. A hundred years ago people only ate seasonal fruit available to them, but these days most types are available all year round. Also drinking lots of water 1.5 litres per day (5-6 glasses) helps.

Team that up with 1 hours walking per day and that should keep you at a stable weight.

WiseMonkey indeed! Great advice. I would also add some weight training in there too. I don't know if anything burns calories/carbs faster. And though we do lose muscle mass as we age it is absolutely possible to build it through weight training - at any age.

N.

mezzaninedoor
31-07-18, 08:53
Tony,

There was a study out recently from John Hopkins about the effects of nitrates in processed foods on mania & hyperactivity. You seem to be feeling better on your new diet and it made me wonder about this (in general for us all really).

Yes.
i've not had a manic period for a while.
I feel good at the moment.

I was a bit blue the other week though, picked up as the week progressed.

MyNameIsTerry
12-08-18, 05:16
Hopefully it will continue to bring you good health both physical and mental.

What do they advise about weighing yourself? I've found I can fluctuate up to 4 lbs over the day :ohmy: I log the times but it seems a bit erratic and I've not pinned down the best time yet.

I know I've lost some though. Body fat % has reduced too. I use calipers & 3-fold method with an average over 3 readings for this (online calc does the overall though) and I've lost a couple of % so far. Weight wise I'm between 4-8 lbs, my highest weight across the day puts it at a 4lb loss which is not bad with small dietary adjustments and still not getting the exercise side sorted out so it's slower than it could be but around 1lb per month. Nowhere near your slimmer of the month achievement!