PDA

View Full Version : Afraid i have sporadic familiar insomnia

Arthur1842
01-06-18, 16:12
First of all sorry If my english is not clear because english is not my First language.
Well,I'm 17 and often go to the gym, and High school, in dec,2017 i started having some troubles to sleep(before i was so good at sleeping i could Just lay down and sleep any time i wanted) but suddenly (5-6 months Ago) i Just stop beeing good at it. in the beggining It Just happened sometimes, like 2 or 3 times a week and the other days i could sleep 7-8 hours normally ,even so, i went to a psychatric she Gave me some medicine but it worked Just for like 10 days than i couldnt sleep nothing even with It. I Just passed to a collapse i started crying because i always think i have sporadic familiar insomnia. Not even medicines are making me sleep fully, these days im only sleeping 3-4 hours a day taking alprazolam, and i stay all day long thinking that im going to die because of sfi.
I spend my day searching Symtoms and i think ALL of them fits, but i dont have halucinations.
Now every day i Go to sleep at 11pm normally and about 3-4am i woke up and couldnt sleep anymore,than i start thinking about this terrible desease and be in panic.
If someome could say something to Help me with that please. Or There is any other Symtom that appears after 6 months.

I Just dont want to die that way

Fishmanpa
01-06-18, 17:19
I Just dont want to die that way

Despite what your anxiety is telling you, you're not going to die from this illness as I can assuredly say you don't have it. There have been many threads about this insanely rare condition and not one person actually had it nor do you :shades:

Positive thoughts

AMomentofClarity
01-06-18, 17:31
One of the NMP classics.....fewer than 10 recorded cases in human history.

Arthur1842
01-06-18, 17:47
Despite what your anxiety is telling you, you're not going to die from this illness as I can assuredly say you don't have it. There have been many threads about this insanely rare condition and not one person actually had it nor do you :shades:

Positive thoughts

I know that i may not have It But it s a kind of my insomnia is getting even worse and o dont know more what to do. I'm taking medicines i usually did exercices, i tried sleeping in diferent times, and ALL thats happening Just suddenly appears with no reason

Fishmanpa
01-06-18, 18:15
I know that i may not have It

No, you don't have it. I can say that with 100% confidence. The fact you're posting on an anxiety forum alone affirms that.

Positive thoughts

ServerError
01-06-18, 18:29
Here's the problem. We can tell you why you don't have it, but only you can actually use those reasons to help you with your fear.

Sporadic fatal insomnia has been recorded nine times in human history. Yes, it's sporadic, meaning theoretically any of us could get it. But it's so rare it barely even exists. It's not even properly studied. Chances are those handful of people who had it were ticking genetic time bombs with some random underlying DNA error that none of us have. Who knows?

The point is, if you're going to worry about SFI, you may as well worry about every other thing that could potentially kill you. Vastly more people have been killed taking their trousers off or putting them on than have ever had SFI. Are you gonna panic whenever you have to put your jeans on? It's carnage on the roads, especially in Brazil. Do you worry about that?

Ultimately, nobody can tell you with 100% certainty that you don't have SFI because there are no certainties in life. But I am certain you have regular old insomnia. As always, what you really need to do is start treating your anxiety.

Arthur1842
01-06-18, 21:50
Here's the problem. We can tell you why you don't have it, but only you can actually use those reasons to help you with your fear.

Sporadic fatal insomnia has been recorded nine times in human history. Yes, it's sporadic, meaning theoretically any of us could get it. But it's so rare it barely even exists. It's not even properly studied. Chances are those handful of people who had it were ticking genetic time bombs with some random underlying DNA error that none of us have. Who knows?

The point is, if you're going to worry about SFI, you may as well worry about every other thing that could potentially kill you. Vastly more people have been killed taking their trousers off or putting them on than have ever had SFI. Are you gonna panic whenever you have to put your jeans on? It's carnage on the roads, especially in Brazil. Do you worry about that?

Ultimately, nobody can tell you with 100% certainty that you don't have SFI because there are no certainties in life. But I am certain you have regular old insomnia. As always, what you really need to do is start treating your anxiety.
I know It, But im really trying my best to solve It and It seems It is just getting even worse. Like i dont know How to sleep anymore, i start being in panic and afraid of death because of the lack of sleep. When i Go to bed my heart starts beating fastly. And every day i remember and think i have sfi because i cant solve this issue.

ServerError
01-06-18, 22:34
You can't solve the issue. So stop trying. You can't fight insomnia and you can't force yourself to sleep. Insomnia is a much less unpleasant experience if you just let it be. My attitude towards is "if I don't sleep, so what".

That's not to say that you can't get better. Your anxiety can improve and your sleeping can improve. Start with the things you can control. Make your sleep environment relaxing and tidy. Have a routine and stick to it. Go to bed at the same time and get up at the same time. If you can't sleep, just accept it. If the worries about SFI surface, just let them be there. Remind yourself that it's a disease that has been recorded nine times in history. If you can't sleep, do something else. If you wake up early, get up.

colonelkurtz
02-06-18, 00:22
OMG I hate ths worry. Using the logic posed by ServerError I tend not to ever worry about this anymore. Like the brain eating amoeba posts, this is one of those HA worries that is extremely unlikely.

I too suffer from extended bouts of insomnia, or what I like to call sleep anxiety. Sleeping is always an ordeal with me. I worry about not falling asleep nearly every night, but guess what? No matter how late I stay up my body ends up falling asleep. I think there was only 1 or 2 times where I stayed up 24 hours (not counting purposeful all-nighters in grad school or undergraduate) due to insmonia. And by I hit the 25-30 hour mark I blinked and realized I had fallen asleep without even trying!

Ignoring the SFI worries, I truly understand the misery that comes with sleep anxiety... it is outright horrible and frustrating especially if I am also gonig through a hyperventilation/extended panic attack at the same time, because then I can't even just use the extra time staying awake to read a book or watch a show.

CK