PDA

View Full Version : Phantom smells - are they always the same?

Mostu
03-06-18, 14:27
Hey, just a quick question. Today I was shopping, and when a customer in front of me was talking with a cashier, I smelt a really strong rotten tooth odour. After the customer went away, it was gone, so I only smelt it for like 2-3 seconds. Then after walking into my flat, I felt feces odour for a couple seconds. Nobody was home today and I wasn't using the toilet today yet. Now I started reading about phantom smells and I'm a little worried. I do realize that the lady customer could've had a dental problem, and that my flat may just smell bad after walking into it from fresh air, but now I recall certain occasions like I felt feces for a couple seconds when sitting in my room with my girlfriend, but she said that she didn't fart when I asked her about it. I also sometimes smell sweat when I'm at work but that could be me/other people. The smells differ, so does that mean that phantosmia is impossible here and those smells are real?

Mostu
04-06-18, 08:56
Anyone please? I found that "the smell is unique to a person(in phantosmia)". Does that mean that it doesn't change? I'm hypervigilant about my smelling now and I constantly smell air to see if I feel anything off.

Gary A
04-06-18, 09:14
If the smells were being caused by an olfactory hallucination, which originate from the brain, then yes, the smells would be the same every time. They would also be overwhelming to the point that you would be unable to smell, and at times taste, anything else while experiencing these smells.

Chances are that you’re simply overly sensitive to certain odours due to the fact that you are focusing intently on what you can and can’t smell.

Mostu
04-06-18, 09:22
Thank you, you've calmed me down a little. Are you talking from experience/knowledge, or are you just blind guessing?

Fishmanpa
04-06-18, 12:34
I felt feces for a couple seconds when sitting in my room with my girlfriend, but she said that she didn't fart when I asked her about it.

Depending on how long you've been together, a woman will NEVER admit to a fart! ~lol~

Positive thoughts