PDA

View Full Version : Fear of gallstones leading to complications

BlueMoon24
04-06-18, 03:05
Hi,

Health anxiety is back in full force lately!

I'm going to my GP next week. Basically, since I was 11 I've had random episodes maybe once or twice a month, where I get this horrible pain in my right-side, below the rib cage. As a teenager, my GP blew it off as constipation and told me to drink more water.

I've become increasingly convinced this may in fact have been gallstones the whole time. Googling it (bad I know) revealed that there's a risk that if left untreated, it can lead to cancer. Immediately after reading this, I felt physically sick and have seemingly convinced myself that this is happening to me.

Does anybody have tips for coping until I get to see my doctor? The suspected gallbladder attacks themselves feel completely random, but the anxiety has now become constant and is perhaps the worse I've ever had it.

Scass
04-06-18, 07:19
This is one of those anxieties that is completely hypothetical. It’s a “what if” worry. There is no substance to it, so you need to tell it to go away.
I know that sounds flippant, but it’s very basic CBT.

Relaxation methods will help you here. Please start or continue using them.

My partner has gallstones and his pain lasts for hours & is horrible when he gets it. My friend was the same.
I don’t have it, so I can’t diagnose you, but you could ask for an ultrasound if your doctor fobs you off. Also, keep a food diary, and list when these attacks happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlueMoon24
04-06-18, 07:35
Thank you for your reply.

When I was on SSRIs I had 2 years with no major health anxiety but since coming off months ago, I've gone back the same, if not worse, than before.

The pain definitely lasts hours, and always at night. I will definitely be asking for an ultrasound, but my big concern is that this has gone on for years and could turn in to something much more serious.

BlueMoon24
04-06-18, 15:19
Update... I had a telephone consultation with my GP today who then referred me for an appointment this afternoon. At the appointment the Sister(?) asked a few questions, poked around at my abdomen and asked me to provide a stool sample and I also have a blood test booked for tomorrow.

The GP mentioned an ultrasound scan on the phone but I guess that one is going to be dependent on the outcome of the stool & blood samples.

Scass
04-06-18, 17:29
That’s great news that you got an appointment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silver_shoes
05-06-18, 02:26
To the best of my knowledge (as someone who has previously had gallbladder issues), gallstones don't lead to cancer. If they become lodged in the bile ducts then they can give you pancreatitis however you'd be extremely poorly if you had this. Not trying to scare you even further, just being realistic :) Do you find that the pain becomes worse after you eat, especially fatty foods? as that can be a sign that you have a gallbladder/gallstone. Hope the appointment goes ok when you see your doctor and if you do have the stones then they will know what to do get it sorted out.

BlueMoon24
05-06-18, 03:59
Thanks!

I did look in to pancreatitis and don't think it's that, I generally feel fine the next day when the pain has subsided. I think it's mostly when I have dairy, red meat and especially fatty foods that triggers the pain.

The doctor didn't seem convinced it is gallstones as I'm a 24 year old healthy-weight male, suffering these condition since before I was even a teenager. They said it can happen though and thus referred me for the additional tests.

I know at the back of my mind somewhere that there's no chance that it's magically become something much more serious just because I've suddenly become aware that other conditions exist. Escaping the spiral of anxiety is proving a lot harder than usual though. I only wish the CBT waiting lists weren't so long.

BlueMoon24
06-06-18, 09:34
I had my bloods taken yesterday, provided a stool sample and was told the results will be available by Friday afternoon.

Last night/this morning however I had a major episode of anxiety, stemming from feeling a little bit of dull pain in the usual place. Anxiety so bad infact that I called NHS 111 who advised I go to the local walk-in centre, where I was checked over by a nurse. After several checks including listening to my abdomen and taking a urine sample, she said I appeared absolutely fine and that I could be suffering IBS. I doubt the pain is related to IBS, but it was good to hear nothing 'acute' was going on and she said to continue with the GPs investigations so they can decide on the next course of action.

On a more productive take on this, I was able to get in to see a GP (based in the same building conveniently) about my recent struggles with anxiety and depression relapse. He's put me back on Sertraline and also given me Promethazine Hydrochloride to help keep the anxiety more under control/get some sleep. I feel like I've taken a step back by needing to go back on to the Sertraline, but hopefully it puts me back on to the road to recovery from health anxiety.

BlueMoon24
09-06-18, 12:36
Blood test results came back Wednesday afternoon, they said I had an elevated bilirubin level. I also had this three years ago, but it went back to normal levels on a second blood test and so no further investigation was done. The doctor said she still isn't convinced it's gallstones but has referred me for an ultrasound scan to rule it out.

I'm now booked for an abdominal ultrasound scan a week on Monday.

childofgaia
16-11-18, 15:16
Hey there, wondering how your ultrasound went?

Fishmanpa
16-11-18, 15:37
When I was on SSRIs I had 2 years with no major health anxiety but since coming off months ago, I've gone back the same, if not worse, than before.... I will definitely be asking for an ultrasound

That's a pretty easy connection if you ask me. Instead of an expensive medical test for reassurance, why not ask to go back on meds? :shrug:

Positive thoughts