PDA

View Full Version : Tonsil Lump/Bulge

mcohen
03-06-18, 23:46
Hello, I am a 23 year old male.

My tonsils have always been somewhat assymetrical for as long as I can remember. I went to the doctor in December having noticed a white lump on my right tonsil (the bigger of the two tonsils). He checked both tonsils and my neck, and confirmed there was nothing wrong at all.

Since then, towards the end of January, I noticed that there looks to be a sort of bulge behind the left tonsil, flesh coloured like the rest of the mouth, not protruding very far from behind the tonsil. There is also what I would describe as a bulge/lump above the left tonsil. It is the same colour as the other bulge, it has the texture of general tonsil tissue (with the almost hole like appearance) and basically just looks as if it is inflated tonsil tissue.

I have no pain, no discomfort, no difficulty swallowing, no neck lumps (well none that I havent had for years anyway and have been checked by a doctor) and no weight loss. I am sure that the lump and bulge weren't there when the doctor checked my tonsils in December but also recognise that he would (hopefully) have noticed the start of anything untoward. I also recognise that I lack many of the typical symptoms of tonsil cancer. However, given my posting here, you have probably guessed that I am also a longterm hypochondriac of increasing severity, and until I get to the doctor (soon) I can't get the worst out of my mind.

I guess my question is, if it was something sinister either primarily or as a secondary, after 6 months since January would it be likely that it would be more obvious that there is something wrong/more symptoms etc?

Thanks

mcohen
04-06-18, 20:59
Hello, I am a 23 year old male. I am reposting this as the post last night didn't receive a response.

My tonsils have always been somewhat assymetrical for as long as I can remember. I went to the doctor in December having noticed a white lump on my right tonsil (the bigger of the two tonsils). He checked both tonsils and my neck, and confirmed there was nothing wrong at all.

Since then, towards the end of January, I noticed that there looks to be a sort of bulge behind the left tonsil, flesh coloured like the rest of the mouth, not protruding very far from behind the tonsil. There is also what I would describe as a bulge/lump above the left tonsil. It is the same colour as the other bulge, it has the texture of general tonsil tissue (with the almost hole like appearance) and basically just looks as if it is inflated tonsil tissue.

I have no pain, no discomfort, no difficulty swallowing, no neck lumps (well none that I havent had for years anyway and have been checked by a doctor) and no weight loss. I am sure that the lump and bulge weren't there when the doctor checked my tonsils in December but also recognise that he would (hopefully) have noticed the start of anything untoward. I also recognise that I lack many of the typical symptoms of tonsil cancer. However, given my posting here, you have probably guessed that I am also a longterm hypochondriac of increasing severity, and until I get to the doctor (soon) I can't get the worst out of my mind.

I guess my question is, if it was something sinister either primarily or as a secondary, after 6 months since January would it be likely that it would be more obvious that there is something wrong/more symptoms etc?

Thanks

Fishmanpa
04-06-18, 21:03

You could have just bumped your other thread :shrug:

At any rate, as an oral cancer survivor, I can unequivocally say that it would have gotten considerably worse in 6 months.

Positive thoughts

Lollymandy
04-06-18, 21:13
You would definitely have symptoms after 6 months. Hope this helps :-)

nomorepanic
05-06-18, 00:02
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

neuroticcat
05-06-18, 16:39
I also have a flesh colored lump above my right tonsil for about an year now, or maybe even longer but i didn't notice it. Since then, i had an urgent care doctor and an ENT look at my throat and they didn't say anything about it so i guess it's harmless.

mcohen
24-06-18, 22:12
Thank you all for the very reassuring answers. I do apologise for not responding sooner I have had a hectic few weeks finishing university and have been trying to push health worries to the back of my mind, but I really am grateful for the advice. It has gone some way to squash my fears, I have not yet had the opportunity to visit a doctor but intend to do very soon to get a 100% diagnosis.

I have had a look today for the first time in ages and nothing looks any worse, the bulges and spots are all still there but don't look any worse/different, it is apparent that the bulge above the tonsil is in front of the 'fold' near the tonsil, whilst the bulge behind the tonsil is behind the 'fold'. It looks clear to me that the two bulges are separate, and don't look to be part of any mass within the tonsil, though I cannot say for certain. I can definitively say no weight loss whatsoever having properly checked with scales.