PDA

View Full Version : Rabies. So irrational yet here I am!

Littleshaker
05-06-18, 09:30
It all started with my friends dog getting bit at a kennel.
I’m staying with her. The dog a week later after the bite got kennel cough which completely triggered me into my rabies fear (I’ve had it maybe 3 times before in the past years). I was so convinced he had rabies I suddenly wouldn’t let the dog near me am now at a hotel because it was giving me so much anxiety. I even called the place she boarded him and they said “dogs have to be vaccinated to stay here there’s no way”.
You’d think I’d be fine.
Nope.
That spiraled into.. “well I’ve been having weird pressure in my ears... etc etc” Blah blah blah you know the deal. Suddenly I have a bunch of “symptoms” I want to associate with rabies. Sitting here thinking I must have somehow gotten bit by a bat somewhere. Though I’ve never noticed any bite or any bat.
The dreaded invisible bat!
Now im at a beautiful hotel, with a date tomorrow.. yet finding it impossible to enjoy myself. *sigh*
I had zero rabie worries before the dog got bit so that should tell me something I suppose.

nomorepanic
05-06-18, 14:23
You don't have rabies but you do have anxiety - maybe get that under control and the irrational thoughts will lessen.

Fishmanpa
05-06-18, 15:30
At least it wasn't an invisible bat :huh:

Positive thoughts

paranoid-viking
05-06-18, 16:45
At least it wasn't an invisible bat :huh:

Positive thoughts

I have not done statistic but it looks like June, July and August is peak months for rabies threads? Am I right?
Lots of brain eating amoeabas threads around too.

---------- Post added at 17:45 ---------- Previous post was at 17:44 ----------

It all started with my friends dog getting bit at a kennel.
I’m staying with her. The dog a week later after the bite got kennel cough which completely triggered me into my rabies fear (I’ve had it maybe 3 times before in the past years). I was so convinced he had rabies I suddenly wouldn’t let the dog near me am now at a hotel because it was giving me so much anxiety. I even called the place she boarded him and they said “dogs have to be vaccinated to stay here there’s no way”.
You’d think I’d be fine.
Nope.
That spiraled into.. “well I’ve been having weird pressure in my ears... etc etc” Blah blah blah you know the deal. Suddenly I have a bunch of “symptoms” I want to associate with rabies. Sitting here thinking I must have somehow gotten bit by a bat somewhere. Though I’ve never noticed any bite or any bat.
The dreaded invisible bat!
Now im at a beautiful hotel, with a handsome date tomorrow.. yet finding it impossible to enjoy myself. *sigh*
I had zero rabie worries before the dog got bit so that should tell me something I suppose.

I have to ask you; what do you really want us to answer here? Why are you posting this?

Littleshaker
05-06-18, 16:51
It helps to post and say how I’m feeling.
Is that not the point of this thread..
Health anxiety?

Fishmanpa
05-06-18, 16:59
It helps to post and say how I’m feeling.
Is that not the point of this thread..
Health anxiety?

For some, this is a sounding board only and the OPs have no intention of changing or getting better. Many in that category have been here for many, many years. For most it seems to be reassurance seeking which only quells the fear for a short time until it comes back or they move onto another irrational fear and for a few, it's to have their thoughts challenged and move forward toward healing from their illness. Many who've replied are veterans of the board, will challenge your thoughts and rightly so.

While it's comforting to know you're not alone and cathartic to write out your fears, it invites challenging them, especially rabies fears. It is an open forum after all.

Deep down you know this is totally irrational. Hope you feel better soon!

Positive thoughts

hope_girl
05-06-18, 17:12
Your fear is JUST LIKE everyone else's fear who comes to this site. It's irrational and extremely unlikely. What might sound ridiculous to my friends feels very scary and real to me. So I understand how this fear of rabies feels very scary and real to you, even though it sounds irrational to me. I get it. My fear of X causes extreme panic. I fear different diseases so X can be anything, depending on the symptom of the moment! It helps me to call my current fear "X" because it reminds me that it's not real, and it's a pattern I have to assume and fear the absolute worst in terms of health. Maybe this can help you. It's also hard KNOWING it's irrational. Sometimes I think if I didn't know my fear was irrational, it would be easier. But then, I think I would likely be very mentally ill because that would be a delusion. Regardless, it feels helpless to know your fear is irrational, yet to still be controlled by it. HAve you seen a therapist? I highly recommend one who practices CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy). You do know for sure you have Anxiety, so why not treat what is real as soon as possible! We can't just give up on the obsession - another has to take it's place - but why not try and shift gears to the obsession with overcoming health anxiety? It's a win-win - obsession replaced with a healthier obsession & you start to decrease the anxiety. Therapists are a-plenty and CBT is an awesome strategy that WORKS for this type of mind issue. Yes, it's expensive but isn't it worth it? I would rather eat noodles from a package happily than dine in finery miserable.

I wanted to see where all the bat fears came from and I found online under the mayo clinic website CRAZY information about bats. I can see how what they say fuels this irrational bat bite fear. It's sad because they are causing so much fear from that terrible comment. Don't read that stuff. Stay away from looking online. Tell yourself "I've already googled. I dont' need to again". You want to do it again because you want to find that special article that tells you there's no way you have rabies. But you won't find that article. Because there is never an article about why you don't have X that will fill your need of reassurance.

It's hard work to overcome anxiety, so my encouragement is to make that your focus. If you must google, google "Overcoming Anxiety" or "CBT therapists near me". Anything productive that will replace that negative cycle.

I know how you feel. I don't fear rabies. But I do fear X.

2 weeks ago I was running on a trail and a dog nipped my upper thigh. It was a big dog and while it wasn't a bite in it's truest form, it definitely scratched me and left big red whelps. I found the owner and merely asked "is your dog up to date on shots?" Which she said he was. I haven't thought once since then that I could have rabies. This isn't meant to make you feel stupid - just to help you imagine the inner workings of someone who doesn't have your specific fear. It helps me to get inside my husband's head and see how he would handle symptom X. Then I sort of pretend to be in his head when I am scared and it gives me comfort.

Hang in there!

Littleshaker
05-06-18, 17:42
Thank you so much for your reply.
I did this morning just get a book called overcoming health anxiety.
I will definitely look into therapy.
I really appreciate the sound advice. I think my reason for posting is it’s really great sometimes to hear from people who understand what you’re going through. No one I know has health anxiety and when I bring anything up they just roll their eyes or laugh. It makes me go straight to google usually.
Again thanks so much for replies.

Fishmanpa
05-06-18, 18:32
There is a difference though. Your fully aware of the irrationality yet your mind won't let you shake it. In many ways, your post is a "How do I stop this BS?" That's a step ahead of many who are totally stuck and lost in the rabbit hole. One read around the forum and you'll see what I mean.

Reading up on HA, getting therapy, meds if needed is the traditional and still most effective way to deal with it. Kudos for recognizing and accepting that :yesyes:

Positive thoughts