PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram Withdrawal

Shell3201
25-07-07, 13:09
Hi

I have been on Citalopram 20mgs for approximately 18 months now due to Post Natal Depression. I have been great on them, but have suffered extreme tiredness and no sex drive whilst on them. As I felt much better I spoke to my GP about coming off them. She reduced me to 10mgs for 2 months and told me if I was going to dip I would dip on the 10mgs. But I have been fine.

I went back at the end of the two months to be reduced further and have been taking 10mg every other day for about 10 days and my god - I feel as though my world has been turned upside down. I cannot describe how bad I feel, I am getting severe headaches which I did expect, but I feel so low, I am crying all the time, I feel like my stomach and chest are knotted. It has knocked me for 6 the symptoms I am having.

I have been back to my GP today in tears and she has told me to go back on full dose, but surely if I am struggling to come off now, it won't be any different when I come in in another year or so.

I really want to come off them especially now, I want to be the happy go lucky girl that I have always been. I am in a complete quandry as to what to do. If I knew these symptoms would go away eventually I would stick it out, but don't know how long I can tolerate feeling like this.

What is the worst is that nobody understands, even the GP gave me a look as thought to pull myself together.

What do I do?

Thanks

Shell

mucky
25-07-07, 13:34
Hi Shell,
Its simple you came off them too quickly. I did a very similar thing. In the end I took 12 months to come off them.

I think your Dr is right get back on them and reduce them very very slowly.
3mths =20mg-3mths=15mg-3mths=10mg. daily then 10mg every other day this will take a while to do.

The symptoms you had were bad but avoidable if you withdraw very very slowly, plan on another 10mths. Sorry but its the only way.
Im no Dr so I suggest you talk again to yours or request to see a different one.

Good Luck its a long long road, but there is light at the end honestly !!!
Providing there is no other issues you will be fine believe it and set your self a date. Draw up a calendar clearly show the dates you change to different amounts you can do this, and your real self will return honestly it will !!!.
Muck

samc100
26-07-07, 16:04
Hi Shell

I was on 20mg and then onto 10mg. Then onto every other day. Then every 2 days. Now on 2 a week. I think for most people the slower the better. I have noticed I am teary again and ratty.

I think if I were you I'd try to level myself back on the 10mg a day and then wait several months before you lower again to the every other day stage. Perhaps the drop from 20mg to 10mg every other day was too short.

You will get there and obviously doing really well xxx This is just a little blip.