PDA

View Full Version : Very low heart rate?

Liv7117
06-06-18, 15:26
Hi, my health anxiety has been much better in the past couple years but recently it’s gotten much worse and I’m very concerned about my heart. My resting heart rate will drop as low as 34 bpm when sitting in the couch. I’ve been to aa cardiologist who did EKGs as well as an ultrasound of my heart and says I’m fine and healthy and that this is normal because I’m a cross country runner. However, I’ve heard that only Olympic athletes have levels this low and I’m nowhere near Olympic level. I got the sense that my cardiologist was just brushing me off because of my history with HA. I’m so scared I’m going to die. Any advice? Should I seek a second opinion?

RadioGaGa
06-06-18, 18:36
That's called bradycardia, which is where the HR (resting) is below 60bpm.

Although there's no denying it - 34bpm is low - there's nothing overly worrying about this, especially as you've had the ECG & echocardiogram, and presumably, you have no symptoms from it.

If it helps, my mother (who is 57) has been a horse rider / gym-goer her entire life. She has a resting pulse of 47bpm... And that is incredible for a 57 year old. She's healthier than I am!

The both of you are just in good health!

Good luck

Liv7117
06-06-18, 19:24
Thanks for your reply! So you don’t think I should seek a second opinion about this? I don’t think I have any symptoms, although I have been very tired.

Pkstracy
06-06-18, 20:00
How often do you run, you are a cross country runner, if you are very active and in shape that is normal, if your tests from your first visit came out clear then you are fine that is just your anxiety seeking a second opinion, are you getting dizzy upon standing, feeling faint? If not then no don't go to a second doctor.

Liv7117
06-06-18, 23:15
I only get dizzy if I stand up too fast. I run for my college so it varies from anywhere between 30-50 miles a week, but lately about 30 miles per week. I feel like that isn’t enough running to really affect my heart that much

AMomentofClarity
06-06-18, 23:19
30 miles per week. I feel like that isn’t enough running to really affect my heart that much

You're kidding right? 30 miles a week is more than 4 miles per day on average.....you're running more than probably 99% of American adults. The fact that you're able to do that in and of itself suggests your heart is fine. Add on the good tests and I wouldn't worry about it.

vincy
07-06-18, 08:00
Wow thats super low! Trust your docs. If they say nothing is wrong, most probably nothing is wrong.

Low heart rate runs in my family. Since my anxiety and ocd has gotten worse, I'm much less active and much chubbier than I used to be, and I still clock my resting heart rate in at between 41 and 44 bpm most of the time.

low bpm gang!

Kramze
07-06-18, 09:06
Hi, my health anxiety has been much better in the past couple years but recently it’s gotten much worse and I’m very concerned about my heart. My resting heart rate will drop as low as 34 bpm when sitting in the couch. I’ve been to aa cardiologist who did EKGs as well as an ultrasound of my heart and says I’m fine and healthy and that this is normal because I’m a cross country runner. However, I’ve heard that only Olympic athletes have levels this low and I’m nowhere near Olympic level. I got the sense that my cardiologist was just brushing me off because of my history with HA. I’m so scared I’m going to die. Any advice? Should I seek a second opinion?

You must be a very healthy person. This means that your blood flood is perfect and your heart is strong! If your doctor has ruled out any cardiovascular disease, you should be grateful and continue running! :D

Liv7117
07-06-18, 14:58
Thank you everyone for the kind replies and reassurance. I just fear that my heart will slow to the point that it stops, and I know that heart rate drops lower at night so I’m worri d it will drop even slower as I sleep and I will go into cardiac arrest. I’m so scared to even sleep at night. I feel fine otherwise, so I guess I should accept my doctor’s words and try not to worry

lofwyr
07-06-18, 16:13
Can I ask if you are counting with a pulse, or using a fitness tracker. Because fitness trackers can be VERY fidgety. My tracker regularly reads I am getting my heart rate up to 197 beats per minute when I walk the dogs. It rarely actually breaks 80 beats per minute, so I guess I am saying if you are using tech to check, do it manually.

I also suffer from bradychardia, though mine is medically induced via a betablocker.

Liv7117
07-06-18, 17:54
I first noticed it when I looked at my fitness tracker, and then took it manually and it matched up. Now I have a bad habit of regularly CPI ting it manually and it always matches my fitness tracker

RadioGaGa
07-06-18, 19:37
Liv7117

If I were you, I would not seek a second opinion at all. The faintness when standing sounds more like low blood pressure. This is generally nothing to worry about either (unless you're old, when it can cause falls).

You're 100% fine and in very good shape by the sounds of things!

Good luck

Daedalus
07-06-18, 20:08
Hey Liv7117

I'm a runner, and my heart rate is similarly low. Not quite as low as yours, more like 40bpm, though I did once see 28bpm, after taking a beta blocker, which was a bit disconcerting!

A friend of mine, also a runner, not Olympic standard, training load about the same as yours, was at about 34bpm. He's still going strong (in his 70s).

Miguel Indurain, the cyclist, was at 28bpm.

If you've been checked out by a cardiologist, and you've never had blackouts, no family history, all that stuff... you should be absolutely fine.

ankietyjoe
07-06-18, 20:55
I only get dizzy if I stand up too fast. I run for my college so it varies from anywhere between 30-50 miles a week, but lately about 30 miles per week. I feel like that isn’t enough running to really affect my heart that much

That's more running than I've done since 1995.

Cumulatively.

M@tt
07-06-18, 23:36
Sounds like you're well conditioned! I try to walk 10,000-20,000 steps a day, and typically hit my target. My BPM has been as low as 50, but I'm 34 and not THAT healthy. If you feel good, I wouldn't worry.

Liv7117
08-06-18, 18:19
Thank you all for the kind responses! I’m working on ignoring it and trying to stop obsessively checking my heart rate, but it’s easier said then done