PDA

View Full Version : Why an ultrasound scan?

Deep Blue
06-06-18, 20:30
Hi. After finally getting an appointment with my GP, hoped to reassured that symptoms of fullness, belching, vague discomfort & occasional indigestion was just anxiety.
I thought I'd just swapped usual bm troubles for upper gastric distress but GP was instantly concerned & ordered ultrasound scan & blood tests without delay.
He refused to say why. 2st weight loss really rang alarm.bells.
To say I'm scared silly is putting it mildly.

AnxiousinCali
06-06-18, 21:08
I'm so sorry you're going through this right now. I read some of your previous posts, and you had noted that the weight loss might be from stopping medication, and that might still be correct. Best to do the U.S. so you can have picture-proof you're all clear.

When are you having it?

Bigboyuk
06-06-18, 21:28
Hi Deepblue tbh with you I would say there is nothing to be worried about your dr cant know everything and has ordered simple ultra sound scan he could have ordered various blood tests etc too but didn't I would say you will fine :) When are you having the scan? Keep us posted on the out come. ATB

Deep Blue
06-06-18, 21:46
Thanks for your replies, it does help having someone to listen! I am having blood tests too. Dr ssid ssid that just because I have anxiety doesn"the mean Ican't have 2 things wrong! Scan & bloods should be next week. Waiting for the scan appointment..Husband has cancelled cruise contract due Monday so I can get tested earlier.
Will let you know how I get on. Thanks again.

Scass
06-06-18, 22:18
I think that they have a procedure to follow to diagnose gastric disorders and an ultrasound is one of them. I had one too recently and it was fine in an out within about 5-10 minutes.
It doesn’t mean your doctor is concerned, it just means they’re showing concern for your symptoms. Did you get any medication?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deep Blue
07-06-18, 08:47
Not for stomach issues. Gave me Sertaline for anxiety. But I read the info sheet. Very common side effects include all kinds of nasty symptoms I already have. I know I might not get them & they can fade over time but right now I don't even want to try coping with them.
It bothered me the Dr wouldn't discuss what the tests were for. If he suspects somethingin or, why not say? It must be something awful he didn't want to scare me with. This is how my mind works. Think worry panic repeat. Sometimes I can laugh at myself!
Thanks for responding.

Bigboyuk
07-06-18, 09:21
Not for stomach issues. Gave me Sertaline for anxiety. But I read the info sheet. Very common side effects include all kinds of nasty symptoms I already have. I know I might not get them & they can fade over time but right now I don't even want to try coping with them.
It bothered me the Dr wouldn't discuss what the tests were for. If he suspects somethingin or, why not say? It must be something awful he didn't want to scare me with. This is how my mind works. Think worry panic repeat. Sometimes I can laugh at myself!
Thanks for responding. Hi Deep Blue ahh the SSRI's not a keen lover of meds myself (Some are, some aren't) There's been a 2 part doc on BBC 1 The Doctor That Gave Up Drugs it's a must see and is now available on the BBC I-Player(30 days) your eyes will be opened when you have watched it. Re side effects what I will say is this, not everyone will get them and it will vary greatly from person to person. Have you thought of exploring the therapy route, via your Dr? He probably did want to make you more anxious than you are especially if he knows you are anxious. :) Keep us updated too. ATB

Deep Blue
07-06-18, 20:06
Tried counselling once..After 5 minutes the counsellor said she thought I didn't want to get better. I didn't go back
Just got a copy of my referral. It's for abdominal ultrasound and also pelvic scan, which my Dr didn't mention. So, ovarian cancer? As usual it''s Think Worry Panic! I hope I get an appointment soon. The waiting is awful & I don't know how to cope with this much anxiety.
I try all the tricks, breathing, relaxation & meditation.
I should be so laid back I fall over.

Bigboyuk
07-06-18, 20:45
Tried counselling once..After 5 minutes the counsellor said she thought I didn't want to get better. I didn't go back
Just got a copy of my referral. It's for abdominal ultrasound and also pelvic scan, which my Dr didn't mention. So, ovarian cancer? As usual it''s Think Worry Panic! I hope I get an appointment soon. The waiting is awful & I don't know how to cope with this much anxiety.
I try all the tricks, breathing, relaxation & meditation.
I should be so laid back I fall over. that's not a nice experience, did you ask why she said that? Either way should a counsellor ever say that? Not every counsellor is like that ;) I would seriously go back(under a different counsellor) especially if it was your first session and only 5 mins in. Like you say you are thinking the worst
which is again due to your HA playing tricks with your mind. and is often made worse because of Dr google :eek: When these results come back clear then what move on to the next health worry and so on, it's a vicious cycle that needs to be broken, you need to tell your dr what the counsellor said as I personally think it shouldn't have been said. I do hope you get some help for your HA ATB

Deep Blue
07-06-18, 21:01
Thank you. That is such good advice. It has never occurred to me I have HA. Social yes. Life in general yes. Going out on my own, yes. But what you are saying makes so much sense. I am not being totally rational am I?

Bigboyuk
08-06-18, 11:37
Thank you. That is such good advice. It has never occurred to me I have HA. Social yes. Life in general yes. Going out on my own, yes. But what you are saying makes so much sense. I am not being totally rational am I? You are very welcome Deep Blue :) Some times this is the case you have other MH conditions you don't always specifically realise that you have another one. No you aren't but then that's part of HA. We are all here for each other on the rough seas of life ATVB

Deep Blue
08-06-18, 12:38
Update; ultrasound scan on Tuesday 12th
Nervous but glad it's soon.

Deep Blue
12-06-18, 11:52
Just had ultrasound scan. Nothing found on scan except some gallstones which don't explain my symptoms ( weight loss, feeling full,.very frequent burping). So, so far, so good. Next, blood tests & probably the dreaded 'oscopies.

Deep Blue
20-06-18, 16:03
Blood tests came back OK. Don't know what they are all for but 1 has ruled out diabetes which I hadn't thought to worry about, and another rules out ovarian cancer, which I was really concerned about.
So now another week to wait before seeing GP & finding out what happens next. More tests? Gallstones op?
The waiting is horrible.
Everyone says You must be so relieved. Yes, I am , but it's only so far, so good.
Just wish I could stop being so very pessimistic all the time.

Sleepy
20-06-18, 17:52
I changed meds and have lost over two stone over 4 months. I also had bloods done and an ultrasound for abdominal pain which discovered gallstones. They were nothing to do with my original symptoms which just disappeared. My gallstones had been asymptomatic, but I started to get some slight pain two years later and had my gallbladder out. It was wrecked and full of massive stones. Don't worry if you do need the op, it's keyhole surgery and very routine.

Deep Blue
20-06-18, 22:21
Thanks for the reassurance Sleepy. I've had 3 or 4 bouts of nasty pain on upper right side which I believe are due to the gallstones but my other symptoms don't seem to be. Hoping they just fade away like other anxiety symptoms have.

Capercrohnj
21-06-18, 01:19
Ever have a gastric emptying study?