PDA

View Full Version : Mole worries

Nicole78
07-06-18, 01:12
Cancer has made a large impact on my family ever since I can remember. Because of this it has always been a large cause of anxiety for me, but skin cancer was never really on my radar. Here recently I was doing a skin exam and spent time looking at a mole that I never thought much about. Near my elbow on my left arm there is a mole about the size of the tip of my pinky finger that is oddly shaped. The closest way to describe it is that it looks almost like a rectangle with a tail, however, if I’m honest It has no clear border and therefore no real shape. The base is a very light brown (can barley tell it isn’t my skin) , but about 50% is covered with much darker spots. I know the ABCD’s are important to look out for, and it freaks me out that it is asymmetrical, multiple colors, and has no clear border. I made an appointment with the dermatologist, but settling my anxiety until then seems impossible. I am trying to think logically about this, but even that doesn’t seem to be doing the trick. I am trying to think logically about this, but even that doesn’t seem to be doing the trick. I’m only 20, I’ve had this mole for at least 6 years, it grows long black hairs, and while I can’t be sure because I only checked it briefly before I don’t believe it has gone through any changes. I know this is a bit of a rant, but I needed to let off some steam to people who won’t think I’m an absolute nut for being this worried. Hope everyone is having a good day.

MOchp
07-06-18, 02:04
Hello, I can tell you from years of reading various fears like yours from people that were convinced they had skin cancer because of some completely abnormal looking mole, that just because it doesn't look "normal" doesn't mean it is something bad. It is good to go to your derm and get it checked but try to stay grounded and not go off into what if land, even though I know that is much easier said than done. Wishing you well!

Andrash
07-06-18, 06:40
Cancer has made a large impact on my family ever since I can remember. Because of this it has always been a large cause of anxiety for me, but skin cancer was never really on my radar. Here recently I was doing a skin exam and spent time looking at a mole that I never thought much about. Near my elbow on my left arm there is a mole about the size of the tip of my pinky finger that is oddly shaped. The closest way to describe it is that it looks almost like a rectangle with a tail, however, if I’m honest It has no clear border and therefore no real shape. The base is a very light brown (can barley tell it isn’t my skin) , but about 50% is covered with much darker spots. I know the ABCD’s are important to look out for, and it freaks me out that it is asymmetrical, multiple colors, and has no clear border. I made an appointment with the dermatologist, but settling my anxiety until then seems impossible. I am trying to think logically about this, but even that doesn’t seem to be doing the trick. I am trying to think logically about this, but even that doesn’t seem to be doing the trick. I’m only 20, I’ve had this mole for at least 6 years, it grows long black hairs, and while I can’t be sure because I only checked it briefly before I don’t believe it has gone through any changes. I know this is a bit of a rant, but I needed to let off some steam to people who won’t think I’m an absolute nut for being this worried. Hope everyone is having a good day.

Skin cancer is one of the most common worries around here. For you I think it is simple - if you had untreated melanoma for 6 years, you would have been long gone by now. Therefore, I am really really sure it is nothing sinister.

Littleshaker
07-06-18, 11:16
No need to be so worried. It’s more than likely nothing :) oddly enough I just recently had the same fear because of an irregular shaped mole on my back. Had it removed and biopsied and it was nothing :) irregularl moles are common, try and remember that

Bluebird123
07-06-18, 11:46
Hey, I've read multiple times now that if there's a hair growing out of the mole then it can't be cancerous... Not sure why, but it was the only thing that made me calm down about a mole I was worrying about!