PDA

View Full Version : Lyme Disease Fear

vincy
07-06-18, 07:45
Hi all, I'm gonna try to not make this too long but it might be so I'm sorry ahead of time

If anybody happens to remember me, I was petrified of having ALS for over a year. I wouldn't even say I'm over it now, I'm just at peace with it. The same thoughts only bother me for so long. ALS thoughts bothered me for longer than anything else ever has, but I can only be truly distressed for so long.

Back when I used to research ALS nonstop, I saw a lot about how lyme could mimic it, it was misdiagnosed as als sometimes and turned out to be lyme, and even a bunch of online theorys on how als IS lyme.

Well, I saw a post about lyme in a health anxiety facebook group that I am a part of, and decided to read up on it a bit. In the middle of reading about it, I looked at my leg and there was a mark on my upper calf that looked a LOT like what a tick bite looks like.

As you probably could have guessed, that is where the panic set in.

I discovered it two days ago, meaning today would be at LEAST the 2nd day that it was there.

There is no rash or anything, but I am having some worries.

First, this morning when I woke up, it was a bit itchy. The itchiness comes and goes, but overall I'd say its a decently itchy bite.

Now this is where I don't know if things are in my mind or if they are real symptoms.

I am taking summer classes right now and am SUPER busy with them, and I only slept 2 hours last night studying for a quiz. I woke up at 10 am, and didn't really eat anything up until 6 pm, because I had a quiz at 2 pm and I studied for that from when I woke until it happened. After that, I'd already been reading more and more about lyme and was in an extremely anxious state, and refused to eat. I've had very little to eat since waking up at 10 am after 2 hours of sleep (it is 3 am currently). I had some duck, some ice cream, and some ramen (small amounts of all of them)

After the bite started feeling itchy, I started feeling itchy EVERYWHERE. Since then, on and off all day I've been itching all over the place. But I KNOW this happens every time I think about it/worry about something. Kind of like how I hate bugs, and if a bug is on me and I brush it off, I suddenly feel bugs on me all over the place that aren't even there.

Also, I was having some pain in my ankle, an overall achy feeling in my left calf (where the bite is) and somewhat in my right one, but much less so.

I've also had headaches today.

I really don't know what might be considered a "symptom" and what might just be a result of what I've done throughout the day.

And then I get to the problem of, ARE all those people on online forums talking about how lyme can cause als/cause basically the same symptoms as als (muscle wasting, weakness, etc) RIGHT?
Seems like almost any actual medical site I go to, it says antibiotics should clear you right up. I've read HUNDREDS of posts saying that is absolute bs.
Am I supposed to just completely discount that?

Anybody have any experience with lyme? :\ would appreciate to hear more, as this is my first time feeling like I am completely breaking down in a while

thanks

Andrash
07-06-18, 08:07
Hi all, I'm gonna try to not make this too long but it might be so I'm sorry ahead of time

If anybody happens to remember me, I was petrified of having ALS for over a year. I wouldn't even say I'm over it now, I'm just at peace with it. The same thoughts only bother me for so long. ALS thoughts bothered me for longer than anything else ever has, but I can only be truly distressed for so long.

Back when I used to research ALS nonstop, I saw a lot about how lyme could mimic it, it was misdiagnosed as als sometimes and turned out to be lyme, and even a bunch of online theorys on how als IS lyme.

Well, I saw a post about lyme in a health anxiety facebook group that I am a part of, and decided to read up on it a bit. In the middle of reading about it, I looked at my leg and there was a mark on my upper calf that looked a LOT like what a tick bite looks like.

I discovered it two days ago, meaning today would be at LEAST the 2nd day that it was there.

First, this morning when I woke up, it was a bit itchy. The itchiness comes and goes, but overall I'd say its a decently itchy bite.

Now this is where I don't know if things are in my mind or if they are real symptoms.

I am taking summer classes right now and am SUPER busy with them, and I only slept 2 hours last night studying for a quiz. I woke up at 10 am, and didn't really eat anything up until 6 pm, because I had a quiz at 2 pm and I studied for that from when I woke until it happened. After that, I'd already been reading more and more about lyme and was in an extremely anxious state, and refused to eat. I've had very little to eat since waking up at 10 am after 2 hours of sleep (it is 3 am currently). I had some duck, some ice cream, and some ramen (small amounts of all of them)

After the bite started feeling itchy, I started feeling itchy EVERYWHERE. Since then, on and off all day I've been itching all over the place. But I KNOW this happens every time I think about it/worry about something. Kind of like how I hate bugs, and if a bug is on me and I brush it off, I suddenly feel bugs on me all over the place that aren't even there.

Also, I was having some pain in my ankle, an overall achy feeling in my left calf (where the bite is) and somewhat in my right one, but much less so.

I really don't know what might be considered a "symptom" and what might just be a result of what I've done throughout the day.

And then I get to the problem of, ARE all those people on online forums talking about how lyme can cause als/cause basically the same symptoms as als (muscle wasting, weakness, etc) RIGHT?
Seems like almost any actual medical site I go to, it says antibiotics should clear you right up. I've read HUNDREDS of posts saying that is absolute bs.

Anybody have any experience with lyme? :\ would appreciate to hear more, as this is my first time feeling like I am completely breaking down in a while

thanks

I put what I considered important in bold.

Firstly, you worried about ALS for a year, you found out that Lyme could mimic ALS ages ago and you noticed the bite TWO DAYS AGO. It is a big enough clue that your previous symptoms/worries couldn't possibly have had anything with Lyme.

Everything else - increased itchiness, weird pains, headaches...is classic anxiety, trying to convince you that you have some rare disease when in fact you were bitten by a some mosquito or other and your anxious mind did the rest. You do not have any symptoms common with lime or als - like clinical weakness, atrophy and so on...just a collection of weird aches, pains and sensations that unmistakably point towards anxiety.

Kramze
07-06-18, 09:02

thanks

Around 2 years ago, I was bitten and contracted Borreliosis. It started out as itching on my calves and then it turned into a big red spot which triggered me to see the doctor right away. He instantly said: "that's a Borreliosis infection" and prescribed me 10 days worth of penicillin. I started taking the pills and the spot eventually morphed into the common 'bullseye mark'.

Anyway it's all good now. So don't panic and see the doctor right away! It can turn serious if left untreated!