PDA

View Full Version : Rabies: This site has helped!

M@tt
08-06-18, 02:34
Sorry for any graphic detail, I'll try to keep it civilized.

So, almost two weeks ago I was at my tattoo artist's shop, and we were discussing skulls. I mentioned I could get him a few different skulls, since I'm a predator and varmint hunter. He'd have to clean them or get a taxidermist to clean them, but they'd be whole, and entact.

When I got home from the shop, I was sitting on my back deck, and saw a groundhog I've been trying to eliminate come out into the open. I stood up and the groundhog started to run (she was 100 yards from me), but stopped at the woodline. Not wanting to spook her I crawled in, and crawled back out with my rifle and humanely eliminated her with a heart shot.

After confirming the groundhog was dead, I sent my artist a text, asking if he wanted the skull for sure. He said YES! So, twenty minutes have passed, and I walk out with my work gloves, and a machete. The plan was to simply press down on the neck to remove it cleanly. That didn't happen. I ended up laying it on a stump and chopping it off. Now, NOTHING got on my face or arms, and I didn't feel anything hit my eyes. I picked the head up, double bagged it, and tossed it in the skull and fur freezer.

It wasn't until a day later that I started thinking about rabies, since we had a suspected rabid groundhog on the property last year. Then I started thinking about my mouth, nose, and eyes being exposed! Then, Tuesday this week, a sinus issue and headache started. Last night everything piqued as I started panicking like crazy while trying to get to sleep. Needless to say, I woke up better, and only have a slightly sore throat as I type this.

Anyways, I just wanted to thank this site for helping me get over the fear of this virus. While I handle a lot of dead animals, I know it would take the planets aligning and god's hand to guide a drop or two of cerebrospinal fluid into my eye, nose, or mouth,AND that animal would have to be infected from the word go.

While some on this site get annoyed at all the rabies posts, the stories help. A lot. My situation is a little more unique, but I bothered the county health department and was told I'll be fine. Anyways, cheers! :yesyes:

EDIT: Luckily I know a lot of local trappers and hunters, and none of them have caught anything but Lymes disease, and have handled far more animals than me!

---------- Post added at 21:34 ---------- Previous post was at 18:26 ----------

Well, there's still some second guessing, but still no tingling, fever, chills, etcetera. I hate anxiety.

M@tt
08-06-18, 16:13
Oh my...so, my temples are feeling some pressure lately, and it feels like I have a sinus infection. However, I stupidly Googled early rabies symptoms again, and I'm FREAKING OUT right now. I swear the left side of my face is feeling numb and tingly.

Does anyone think I should be concerned?!

EDIT: If I plan on continuing with this hunting/skull collecting hobby, I really need to get over this fear. But right now it's crippling, and all I can think about. It literally feels like this weekend I'm going to plummet into neurological symptoms and die next week.

Also, for what it's worth I live in western Pennsylvania. Each year we have roughly 500 animals test positive for rabies. So...

Fishmanpa
08-06-18, 16:27
Now, NOTHING got on my face or arms, and I didn't feel anything hit my eyes.

It wasn't until a day later that I started thinking about rabies, since we had a suspected rabid groundhog on the property last year. Then I started thinking about my mouth, nose, and eyes being exposed!

That's just it... an irrational thought took hold and here you are :shrug: What you're proposing is like a rabid bat drooling from a tree and getting a drop of saliva into your mouth (from an actual thread here). Future common sense would dictate that you were gloves and goggles anyway while handling dead game.

Positive thoughts

M@tt
08-06-18, 16:30
That's just it... an irrational thought took hold and here you are :shrug: What you're proposing is like a rabid bat drooling from a tree and getting a drop of saliva into your mouth (from an actual thread here). Future common sense would dictate that you were gloves and goggles anyway while handling dead game.

Positive thoughts

I was hoping you would comment, since your screenname leads me to believe you're a PA outdoorsman as well.

This is so ludicrous and embarrassing, but I can't shake it. I KNOW the chance of exposure is 0.00000000000000000000000000000000001%. But this sinus issue is making me second guess myself. It's like, maybe that groundhog was one of those animals who doesn't show symptoms, MAYBE a single drop of cerebrospinal fluid hit my eye and I didn't feel it. It sounds so stupid, I know.

NervUs
08-06-18, 17:40
The rabies incubation period is long. Getting symptoms within two weeks is NOT the norm, and especially not from a nonbite exposure.

Your body is going to keep churning, keep having allergic reactions, you will get headaches, and your muscles will hurt, you will sneeze, and get a sore throat, and you will interpret all of this as rabies. I know, because I have been there.

I don't have an easy answer for how to break that association, but you have got to try because getting into a rabies panic with every minor illness is no way to live.

M@tt
08-06-18, 17:48
The rabies incubation period is long. Getting symptoms within two weeks is NOT the norm, and especially not from a nonbite exposure.

Your body is going to keep churning, keep having allergic reactions, you will get headaches, and your muscles will hurt, you will sneeze, and get a sore throat, and you will interpret all of this as rabies. I know, because I have been there.

I don't have an easy answer for how to break that association, but you have got to try because getting into a rabies panic with every minor illness is no way to live.

Thanks for the response. I just need to find something to keep my mind occupied.

As far as incubation period, I keep telling myself, "The animal has to have rabies in the first place!"

NervUs
08-06-18, 18:35
Well, sure...the chances the animal had rabies is very, very low, infinitesimal.
My point is, you need to find a way with dealing sick because you are now going to ascribe rabies to everything that happens to you.

M@tt
08-06-18, 18:45
Well, sure...the chances the animal had rabies is very, very low, infinitesimal.
My point is, you need to find a way with dealing sick because you are now going to ascribe rabies to everything that happens to you.

Well, this isn't my first scare. The first scare was after I dragged two raccoons out of a cornfield with my gloves on, then a little bit later I popped a diaphragm call into my mouth with the gloves on. Then I started thinking about it the next day. My mind immediately went to rabies...never mind raccoon roundworm, which was much more likely!

What's funny is that last summer I beheaded a raccoon the same way I did this groundhog, and it didn't bother me at all. I think once I researched groundhogs and rabies, and found how likely they are to get it, I started to panic.

Anyways, once this month passes, I'll forget about it, until the next run in with a dead animal. Ha-ha!

AMomentofClarity
08-06-18, 18:53
I’d say either learn to cope with the extremely low risks that come with your hobbies or give them up. Continuing to do them while worrying about every little thing is the worst option.

M@tt
09-06-18, 00:49
I’d say either learn to cope with the extremely low risks that come with your hobbies or give them up. Continuing to do them while worrying about every little thing is the worst option.

I just came across this quote from Aldo Leopold that I totally forgot.

“It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear.”

Fear, adrenaline, the unknown is what drives me to do what I do, like sit in a field at night squeaking with my lips, watching the red, burning eyes of a predator coming in for a meal.

I need to buck up, be aware, and quit being a sissy.