PDA

View Full Version : Still worried about ALS

2anxious4this
22-05-18, 18:51
Some background: I am a 21 year old white male. Ive dealt with health anxiety, generalized anxiety, and depression for years.

Im worried about ALS because 2 weeks ago I got a cramp/ sharp pain in my calf which lasted about 10-15 minutes until I ate something at which it seemed to have gone away for the most part. I panicked and remembered cramping is a sign of ALS. Since then, my right leg has felt tight. It feels worse when Im extremely anxious as well. To make matters worse, my toes on my right foot twitch. The ones on my left foot twitch, but it seems as if my right one twitches more.

I went to the doctor a week ago and he put me back on lexapro, which I had been off for two months. He told me its stress and anxiety related. He said if its still an issue after 3 weeks, that he will order bloodwork and an EMG. Its been a week since that doctors visit and my leg hasn't gotten much better, and so I am extremely worried.

Sometimes I get little aches in my right leg, but nothing too painful. Most of the twitching and weird feelings seems to be in the right foot/calf/thigh. I don't have any weakness, I ran 3 miles yesterday.

Any advice or help is appreciated.

Fishmanpa
22-05-18, 22:32
Read this (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=196071) as often as you have to.

Positive thoughts

nomorepanic
22-05-18, 23:17
If you ran 3 miles yesterday then it is nothing serious at all.

HelloPanda23
23-05-18, 02:11
Okay so, about two months ago, my health anxiety started and it scared me to death. It was after I had my first redbull, and so I had my first panic attack in the process. I was completely short of breath, and so I got scared and assumed I was dying. The day after, I found myself concentrating on my breathing no matter how hard I tried to get distracted. I'd have to consciously breath instead of my body automatically doing it for me. I wanted to go to the doctor, but realized that it was a problem that came from me, and that it got resolved every time I was distracted or focused on something else. After this fear was resolved, my fear switched to me having heart issues. I felt as if my heart was skipping beats and so I went a whole day in complete and utter fear. I eventually got over that, and so then I was focused on the way I would feel when I'd get home from school. I'd worry whether my day would feel terrible, and that I would be sad and upset at home. This is because the anxiety was bothering me a lot, and sometimes causing me panic attacks. That left me thinking that my home was an uncomfortable place to be at. A week passes like that, and then my breathing issue is back. This time, my anxiety made me think I wasn't getting enough air and that my breathing wasn't good. I got scared, but got over that as well. Then, when I was talking to a friend, I was concentrated onto something else in my mind, and so when I tried to talk to him, my speech sounded like ,"jaklsjaslk." I realized this was due to anxiety, but I still made the mistake of searching up, "slurred speech." This is when my life took a huge turn for the worse. ALS pops up, and at first, I freaked out, but then I was able to calm down and understand it was just anxiety. Just to make sure, I decided to read up on ALS and see if my other symptoms matched it. Clumsiness was another symptom, and that reminded me of that one time I slipped my glass water while drinking it in bed. I immediately freaked out even more, and panicked a lot. Throughout doing research about this scary disease, though, I realized that the clumsiness came from weak muscles, not from an actual mess up. As a result, the fear of clumsiness went away. Same thing with the slurred speech, if some pronunciation was messed up once, it'd permanently be messed up. Obviously, that isn't the case for me because I can speak completely normally. Now, all that stayed in me was complete and utter fear of actually getting this disease. I knew I had no symptoms and yet I poked at my fears. I started to have constant panic attacks, barely ate, and had terrible days. After a week of this, I had a lot of nausea, loss of appetite, stomach aches, vomiting, dizziness, and etc. Then I started to get better and better after I realized it was simply anxiety scaring me to death. Sadly, this got bad because I made the stupid mistake of focusing on my right leg. By focusing on my right leg, I obviously made it uncomfortable for me while walking, because it makes the mind think I need to put effort in order to walk, otherwise known as perceived weakness. This didn't freak me out at all, but just 2 days ago, I ended up having weird pains in my right leg. Like a stabbing pain, and more perceived weakness. As a result, I kept testing my legs and did everything to make sure that this pain wasn't from ALS taking its toll on my body. I passed every single test I took, including the foot drop test. These new found pains obviously didn't in anyway affect the function of my right leg though. I can walk just as much as I could last year, last month, last week, and overall before this pain occurred. No problem at all, but the pain is still there until I get my legs moving for a bit. When I do, the pain subsides and my legs feel better. For this reason, I'm somewhat scared this may be super early symptoms of ALS because I read that some people who have ALS previously had muscle pains and cramps 2 years prior to their diagnosis. That scared me a crap load, and so I just want to know if what I'm feeling are symptoms of ALS, or if it's just anxiety. Btw, I turned 16 last month, and none of my family members have had ALS in their lives. I read that most people who got ALS before the age of 30 usually were familial, but there were also those who were sporadic. My fears are subsiding a lot as of right now, but I just want a peace of mind at this point. I know it's completely in my ability to stop myself from fearing this disease, and I know I can stop as long as I know it's right to take on that step. If anything, the fear that I had went away a lot after I kept myself busy with friends, school, and games for 2 weeks. The leg pain was there, but it would only occur when I would first stand up after sitting for maybe an hour or so, afterwards, once I'd keep walking, the pain would fade away. As a last reminder, I never had any muscle issues with my legs until I read about ALS. Please help.

Fishmanpa
23-05-18, 02:50
What help do you really need? :shrug: You know you don't have it and you know it's your anxiety. Your entire post was affirmation. The help you need is real life help managing the irrational thoughts of anxiety... Especially at your age. Frankly, again, your post was not unlike a CBT worksheet. Symptom/fear/reality. Get help now and nip this in the bud. You don't want it controlling your life.

I'm not going to reassure you because you can reassure yourself. You also know that Googling just feeds your dragon so stop it! :lac: If you have some weak moments, read this (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=196071) as many times as you need to.

Positive thoughts

HelloPanda23
23-05-18, 02:51
Some background: I am a 21 year old white male. Ive dealt with health anxiety, generalized anxiety, and depression for years.

Im worried about ALS because 2 weeks ago I got a cramp/ sharp pain in my calf which lasted about 10-15 minutes until I ate something at which it seemed to have gone away for the most part. I panicked and remembered cramping is a sign of ALS. Since then, my right leg has felt tight. It feels worse when Im extremely anxious as well. To make matters worse, my toes on my right foot twitch. The ones on my left foot twitch, but it seems as if my right one twitches more.

I went to the doctor a week ago and he put me back on lexapro, which I had been off for two months. He told me its stress and anxiety related. He said if its still an issue after 3 weeks, that he will order bloodwork and an EMG. Its been a week since that doctors visit and my leg hasn't gotten much better, and so I am extremely worried.

Sometimes I get little aches in my right leg, but nothing too painful. Most of the twitching and weird feelings seems to be in the right foot/calf/thigh. I don't have any weakness, I ran 3 miles yesterday.

I'm just as worried. I sometimes get aches on my leg as well and sharp pains as well. I can walk normally like I used to, with no weakness at all. Just a bit of pain, and not much else. It's only on my right leg, and I'm scared if it's anything serious. Hopefully, it isn't.

HelloPanda23
23-05-18, 05:29
What help do you really need? :shrug: You know you don't have it and you know it's your anxiety. Your entire post was affirmation. The help you need is real life help managing the irrational thoughts of anxiety... Especially at your age. Frankly, again, your post was not unlike a CBT worksheet. Symptom/fear/reality. Get help now and nip this in the bud. You don't want it controlling your life.

Positive thoughts

If you truly think I have nothing to fear, I'll try and get rid of this fear as best as I can. Everything was getting better for me until last week, because something occurred that caused me a lot of stress and anxiety. Also, I never google my symptoms without putting, "anxiety" next to it. It's just a way to ensure that I don't find myself fearing a deadly disease, I just made that mistake once. Thank you for the help.

---------- Post added at 04:29 ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 ----------

Anyone else have input on whether I should be worried or not?

Fishmanpa
23-05-18, 11:46

You're sixteen... sixteen! That alone is enough to discount your fear. Did you read that link I put in my reply? Any questions?

Positive thoughts

HelloPanda23
23-05-18, 14:13
You're sixteen... sixteen! That alone is enough to discount your fear. Did you read that link I put in my reply? Any questions?

Positive thoughts

I know, but people my age have gotten it before.

Andrash
23-05-18, 22:05

ALS is motor neuron disease, not sensory. That means pains, aches, tightness, numbness...are not symptoms. It is totally normal to have cramps during/after exercises.

Andrash
23-05-18, 22:14
I know, but people my age have gotten it before.

ALS at 16? Only, perhaps, in movies and soap operas. As for your case, it is not ALS, it is anxietitis.

Sluggy
24-05-18, 12:53
If you truly think I have nothing to fear, I'll try and get rid of this fear as best as I can. Everything was getting better for me until last week, because something occurred that caused me a lot of stress and anxiety. Also, I never google my symptoms without putting, "anxiety" next to it. It's just a way to ensure that I don't find myself fearing a deadly disease, I just made that mistake once. Thank you for the help.

---------- Post added at 04:29 ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 ----------

Reading your post sounds like a carbon copy of what I've been through with ALS fears. While I'm in another bout of HA at the moment, I initially started this journey of HA riding a wave of fear surrounding ALS.

Where you talk about walking is exactly to the letter how I was feeling. I would think I was walking funny, and then felt I was walking funny, and then couldn't stop focussing on it. I convinced myself I was breathing oddly, that I couldn't swallow properly, that I was slurring my speech (so much so I was recording my own voice over and over again), that my tongue was twitching.

The list goes on and on, but the fact that I'm still effectively the same as I was then physically goes to show just how much anxiety can physically affect you.

I'm not a medical professional, but you just simply don't have anything physical to be concerned about. Time more than anything else got rid of my ALS fears, but with hindsight I realise just how crazy a ride it all was.

A quote that rang true on another forum was 'ALS is about failing, not feeling'.

HelloPanda23
24-05-18, 14:04
Reading your post sounds like a carbon copy of what I've been through with ALS fears. While I'm in another bout of HA at the moment, I initially started this journey of HA riding a wave of fear surrounding ALS.

Where you talk about walking is exactly to the letter how I was feeling. I would think I was walking funny, and then felt I was walking funny, and then couldn't stop focussing on it. I convinced myself I was breathing oddly, that I couldn't swallow properly, that I was slurring my speech (so much so I was recording my own voice over and over again), that my tongue was twitching.

The list goes on and on, but the fact that I'm still effectively the same as I was then physically goes to show just how much anxiety can physically affect you.

I'm not a medical professional, but you just simply don't have anything physical to be concerned about. Time more than anything else got rid of my ALS fears, but with hindsight I realise just how crazy a ride it all was.

A quote that rang true on another forum was 'ALS is about failing, not feeling'.

I've read that post as well, I have a question though, did your leg hurt or did it just feel funny? Sometimes I get leg aches and focus completely on them, and I feel like that causes more pains. While I'm walking, sometimes I may get tiny bits of sharp pains but it usually goes away. Also, only reason I'm scared this may be a sign of ALS is because I read that some people started off with ALS after they had body pains, generally leg pains.

Sluggy
24-05-18, 15:18
I've read that post as well, I have a question though, did your leg hurt or did it just feel funny? Sometimes I get leg aches and focus completely on them, and I feel like that causes more pains. While I'm walking, sometimes I may get tiny bits of sharp pains but it usually goes away. Also, only reason I'm scared this may be a sign of ALS is because I read that some people started off with ALS after they had body pains, generally leg pains.

Had aches, pains, cramps, the lot. I just put it down to me being so anxious that all my receptors and nerve endings were firing when they weren't supposed to be.

At 16 the chances are unfathomably slim to have this, and for it to present itself as just random muscle pain makes it even moreso unlikely. Again, all about the failing and not how anything actually feels :)

2anxious4this
24-05-18, 16:09
I'm just as worried. I sometimes get aches on my leg as well and sharp pains as well. I can walk normally like I used to, with no weakness at all. Just a bit of pain, and not much else. It's only on my right leg, and I'm scared if it's anything serious. Hopefully, it isn't.

Does yours seem to be constant or do they come and go? Mine seem to come and go.

HelloPanda23
25-05-18, 02:08
Does yours seem to be constant or do they come and go? Mine seem to come and go.

Same. I’ve just blamed them all on anxiety and they seem to be fading away, so I don’t think I have an issue. In ALS, the progession doesn’t stop or get better, and so if your muscles have times where they don’t get pains and feel better than usual, then ALS isn’t the culprit and anxiety is instead.

2anxious4this
25-05-18, 14:18
Same. I’ve just blamed them all on anxiety and they seem to be fading away, so I don’t think I have an issue. In ALS, the progession doesn’t stop or get better, and so if your muscles have times where they don’t get pains and feel better than usual, then ALS isn’t the culprit and anxiety is instead.

Seems similar to what Im dealing with. Is it true ALS symptoms dont come and go?

Fishmanpa
25-05-18, 20:28
Is it true ALS symptoms dont come and go?

Read this (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=196071) as often as you have to.

Positive thoughts

HelloPanda23
25-05-18, 21:38
Seems similar to what Im dealing with. Is it true ALS symptoms dont come and go?

Yes it is, if your sumptoms aren't always there and there are times in which they don't bother you, then I completely doubt you have ALS and that it's anxiety. I'm in your same shoes and it's super hard, I understand your struggles completey.

HelloPanda23
28-05-18, 00:36
Okay, at this point, I know for a fact that I don’t have ALS and that I’m not going to die, and yet the fear of getting ALS has now come. I know I won’t get the illness, but the fear of getting is still there and it bothers me to a fairly decent extent. I just want to get rid of this fear and continue on with my life, because I know I’m safe and that nothing will happen to me. Can anyone please help me out with the changes I need to make in order to get rid of this useless fear? I’ve already made many steps. For one, I’m never searching up about ALS again. I already know enough to tell that I don’t have a single symptom of the disease, and that if I get a symptom that scares me, I can simply check to see if the muscle works just like it always has. If it does, I’ll pass it off as anxiety. I also have been listening to subliminal messages for hypochondria daily. I don’t know if they’ve been helping or not, but I think they might be. I also have accepted that my thoughts are simply fears and nothing else, everytime I get a panic attack, I take it in as feeling of fear caused by my irrational thoughts. At this point, I don’t know what other change is necessary to stop these thoughts once and for all. I don’t want to take medication and I never will, I have lavender oil at home and can use the scent to relax myself, but barely ever do. I just want to be free again, I know I have nothing to fear, especially at my age of 16. All help is appreciated, thank you so much.

Fishmanpa
28-05-18, 00:47
There is help here (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=211324) but no one can make it happen but you. This is just an internet forum with sufferers like yourself. Truly, real life professional help that you're made accountable for and would be regular ongoing would be the best advice.

Positive thoughts

venusbluejeans
28-05-18, 01:43
This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Emmz

HopeI'mWrong:P
28-05-18, 01:55
Don't know whether this will help, but about 6 years ago I was terrified that I had some kind of neurological condition. I had twitches and cramps daily. My doctors told me it was nothing to worry about. Even so, I was obsessed. It was all I could think about. Then I actually developed a twitch in my thumb (it would twitch randomly every few seconds). This twitch lasted 2 weeks! Seriously, it was all day every day -
it stopped me from falling to sleep. I was in bits and convinced I was dying.

But then it went. One day it just stopped. Still no idea why it happened. Now, when I get a twitch, I think back to the time it went away on it's own even when I thought it wouldn't.

I guess my point is that these things happen. They happen to everyone, it's just that most people don't talk about them because they don't worry about them, which makes us feel like they are rare symptoms. But they aren't, they're normal. We are just more aware of what our bodies are doing

2anxious4this
29-05-18, 18:13
There is help but no one can make it happen but you. This is just an internet forum with sufferers like yourself. Truly, real life professional help that you're made accountable for and would be regular ongoing would be the best advice.

Positive thoughts

Thank you for this response. I made another appointment with my doctor.

2anxious4this
01-06-18, 02:39
Update for those interested:

My doctor is not concerned. He said if I wanted to get an EMG, I can, but he said it would only be for my reassurance. He tested my reflexes and aiad they were good. Still having anxiety about this however, but I guess I feel slightly better.

2anxious4this
08-06-18, 01:05
About a month ago, I got an insane pain in my calf/foot for like 10-15 minutes while at work. I began worrying about it, immediately jumping to ALS. Ever since then, it gets tight sometimes, sometimes it just feels odd, sometimes it feels pretty normal. Sometimes my right ankle feels tight, sometimes my right calf, sometimes my right knee.

I got worried sick and went to the doctor a week later, he let me know its just stress and anxiety.

It continued to get tight and weird feelings on and off and I ended up going to the doctor a few weeks later. He tested my reflexes and said they were great.

A week after my latest doc visit, it still feels weird on and off. Usually its worse when i get anxious or have a panic attack.

I dont know what to do, im scared and it just sucks. Can anxiety really be this powerful?

Andrash
08-06-18, 06:26
About a month ago, I got an insane pain in my calf/foot for like 10-15 minutes while at work. I began worrying about it, immediately jumping to ALS. Ever since then, it gets tight sometimes, sometimes it just feels odd, sometimes it feels pretty normal. Sometimes my right ankle feels tight, sometimes my right calf, sometimes my right knee.

I got worried sick and went to the doctor a week later, he let me know its just stress and anxiety.

It continued to get tight and weird feelings on and off and I ended up going to the doctor a few weeks later. He tested my reflexes and said they were great.

A week after my latest doc visit, it still feels weird on and off. Usually its worse when i get anxious or have a panic attack.

I dont know what to do, im scared and it just sucks. Can anxiety really be this powerful?

1. ALS=motor, not sensory. That means no pain. You do not have ALS.

2. Yes, it can.

Elen
08-06-18, 08:10
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Elen

Snooper1
08-06-18, 09:33
I have had twitches all over different parts of my body for over a year. It started with pins and needles along left side of left hand an d then moved to other areas including toes, thighs, arms. Eyelid twitching was one of the most annoying ones.

Like you i feared als/mnd as all the symptoms seemed to fit. I also fell a couple of times which of course confirmed my fears. I have this week been to see a neurologist who carried out a raft of tests mainly reflexes, visual inspections of muscles etc and she said at the end of it that i dont have mnd. Instead she believes that a llot of it can be down to how i sit at work e.g. resting on elbows while typing etc.

2anxious4this
08-06-18, 16:37
1. ALS=motor, not sensory. That means no pain. You do not have ALS.

2. Yes, it can.

Do you have a similar experience?

Andrash
10-06-18, 08:46
Do you have a similar experience?

Had it, 4 years ago. I was terrified I had ALS. Muscles twitched all over the place. Perceived slurred speech. Lump in throat. Fatigue. Pins and needles running down my head and neck. Charley horses every once in a while. What caused all that? Health anxiety. How do I know? Because 4 years on, I am still alive and playing football every week. If I had ALS, there would be a tube sticking out of my neck and I would be typing this with eye movements not fingers. Or I would be six foot under. So no, I do not have ALS. And neither do you.

2anxious4this
11-06-18, 04:30
Had it, 4 years ago. I was terrified I had ALS. Muscles twitched all over the place. Perceived slurred speech. Lump in throat. Fatigue. Pins and needles running down my head and neck. Charley horses every once in a while. What caused all that? Health anxiety. How do I know? Because 4 years on, I am still alive and playing football every week. If I had ALS, there would be a tube sticking out of my neck and I would be typing this with eye movements not fingers. Or I would be six foot under. So no, I do not have ALS. And neither do you.

How bad did it get? Did you ever see any doctors?

Andrash
11-06-18, 08:01
How bad did it get? Did you ever see any doctors?

Pretty bad. And I did - even had a MRI and got seen by a neuro. Their diagnosis was neck problems due to stress (read HA). Of course, slurred speech was a figment of my anxiety - crazed imagination. Once I accepted what my main problem was (HA) and started treating it, symptoms gradually subsided over a couple of months, which proved my doctors right and me (who suspected ALS and brain tumor) wrong.

2anxious4this
12-06-18, 00:07
Pretty bad. And I did - even had a MRI and got seen by a neuro. Their diagnosis was neck problems due to stress (read HA). Of course, slurred speech was a figment of my anxiety - crazed imagination. Once I accepted what my main problem was (HA) and started treating it, symptoms gradually subsided over a couple of months, which proved my doctors right and me (who suspected ALS and brain tumor) wrong.

It took months for the symptoms to subside? What was that like?

2anxious4this
16-06-18, 22:12
Ive been dealing with an ALS fear for over a month. Earlier I noticed that when Im laying down and flex my toes towards me, my left toes go further than my right toes. Im now even more afraid and I cant stop thinking about it or testing my toes.

Does anyone else have a similar experience?

Andrash
16-06-18, 22:44
To quote other thread, we are asymmetrical by nature. Your leg functions properly=you don't have ALS.

Andrash
16-06-18, 22:47
It took months for the symptoms to subside? What was that like?

Twitches became less and less frequent, charley horses disappeared, weird sensation stopped.

2anxious4this
17-06-18, 00:31
To quote other thread, we are asymmetrical by nature. Your leg functions properly=you don't have ALS.

So you dont think it sounds like weakness?

nomorepanic
17-06-18, 00:33
nope it doesn't

Cptdebbie
17-06-18, 00:57
Oh my gosh! I went through this same symptom fear once. I was sure I was the only one in the world.

I was in the height of my health anxiety when it happened, and I went to the doctor and showed him my toes. (I was worried about a brain tumor.) He looked at me and said something like, "Why were you expecting them to be the same?"

You are okay 2anxious4this. This fear is coming from your health anxiety, not you. Acknowledge your Health Anxiety and then divert your focus onto something else. It is super hard at first, but I promise that it gets easier.

You got this! :hugs:

2anxious4this
17-06-18, 17:48
Oh my gosh! I went through this same symptom fear once. I was sure I was the only one in the world.

I was in the height of my health anxiety when it happened, and I went to the doctor and showed him my toes. (I was worried about a brain tumor.) He looked at me and said something like, "Why were you expecting them to be the same?"

You are okay 2anxious4this. This fear is coming from your health anxiety, not you. Acknowledge your Health Anxiety and then divert your focus onto something else. It is super hard at first, but I promise that it gets easier.

You got this! :hugs:

Your response is very reassuring, thank you. This health anxiety is definitely difficult. I hope I see the light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks again friend.

Elen
17-06-18, 18:09
Hi

Elen

Andrash
18-06-18, 13:35
So you dont think it sounds like weakness?

No. If your foot dropped or if you were unable to walk properly or kick the ball or if you fell every time you tried to walk...that would be foot/toe weakness. What you experience is not weakness, it is limb - onset anxietitis. :)