PDA

View Full Version : 6 months on - the smells

helenhoo
09-06-18, 13:20
Long time poster, 6 months pregnant.

Over the years we've seen my many many worries, usually causing uproar and arguments and i go and come back with latest concern but this current one is ongoing.

Phantom smells. Now, I know pregnancy causes hyper sense of smell. I've had pregnant people tell me they smell cigarettes from streets away, hate smell of their husband, can smell something by thinking about it but i STILL worry my smells are due to a brain tumour. I'm triggered by smokey smells; cigs, bonfire, heating, air conditions, bbqs. 95% of time anyone with me will smell it too and this occasionally eases me. Other times I'm convinced they're lying to stop me worrying. Ive read stories about a woman who had a phantom smells daily for 5 months. Mine vary but always focus around smokey smells. I have mild panic attacks when i smell it.

That being said I have moments of logic, I calm self down. I say it was this or that and so and so wouldn't say they smelt it they didnt. Sometimes I have to go back snd check I smelt something to assure self it was real.

It's ongoing, but its been my only concern in last 6 months. Pre preg I'd have worried about so many other things in this time.

I don't know how to beat it. I can't even reach my knees to check my reflexes lol.

Scass
09-06-18, 15:31
What help have you had to beat it? Have you visited a doctor or talked to your midwife?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helenhoo
09-06-18, 15:42
Not at all, both useless.

nomorepanic
09-06-18, 16:04
You had this worry since 2016 and you know you do not have a brain tumour.

Have you even done any therapy of self-help after all this time?

helenhoo
09-06-18, 16:43
I did doCBT but this smell worry has been here for 6 months. Even thinking about a smell, i smelt it just. Went outside and no bonfire smell so i pretty much imagined it jn a one sniff.

I reas about a lady who had this for 6 months and she had a tumor.

nomorepanic
09-06-18, 16:45
Not 6 months - since September 2016:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=188325&page=2

So what did they teach you in CBT?

helenhoo
09-06-18, 17:30
6 months consistently, it didnt last long last time, on and off since Sept 2016 yes but this time its been pretty constant.

Taught me to stop reassurance seeking and using logic but it isnt working now. I try and calm self, then ill smell something again. Bonfire smell earlier, went out front door just (to empty bins lol) and faintly its there. Could it have been what i smelt? Possible. Windows were open. But because nobody is here with ne I cant get that assurance they smelt it too.

nomorepanic
09-06-18, 17:32
But you had a plan of action from your GP to see someone about it and you never followed it up so you clearly can't be that worried about it.

Go back and get that referral.

NancyW
09-06-18, 18:13
I asked this in your last thread but got no answer.

How's your pregnancy going?
Do you know what you're having?
Such an exciting time in life.