PDA

View Full Version : BPPV or brain tumor?

Boomblox
10-06-18, 09:23
Long story short: I suffer from major GAD. Have been for 14 years. Hypochondriac to death. I've multiplied health exams this past year just to put my mins at ease on a lot of worries. It just makes me more anxious in the end.

Recently I've been suffering from vertigo. The world spins a little for half a second when I turn my head, usually to left and downward. It's slight. Only when I walk to be honest, and the result is that I veer a little on the side for a second.
Some lightheadedness too, worse in the morning, nearly nothing later in the day.
A bit woozy in the dark of my house, but I don't fall or anything.
Everything resolves when I sit.

It started a month with a strong kind of sudden episode of vertigo and imbalance when I turned my head, also resolving when I sat. Then it stopped for a couple weeks and came back but weaker.

I've been told it's bppv. I've tried the Hepley maneuver at home using a YouTube video: definitely vertigo when turning my head left but not right.
Not sure if I've done it right, I kind of feel better but not sure. Definitely more lightheaded for a few minutes after doing it though.

I've been told by my GP to let it slide for once instead of multiplying medical stuff.

Could it be a brain tumor mimicking bppv? The Hepley maneuver didn't really work, I don't have any nystagmus (maybe because my vertigo is too weak).
Could anxiety trigger BPPV or prevent it from being cured?
Or could anxiety just create these symptoms?

I'm getting insane here. Sure I have a brain tumor...

Anxiousamyj
10-06-18, 15:19
Last summer, when I thought I had a brain tumor, I had bad dizziness and vertigo. My ears and throat always felt blocked and I was smelling phantom smells. A CT scan of my head revealed that everything is normal. Guess what? All my symptoms went away within a couple days. Anxiety is a powerful thing.

jray23
10-06-18, 20:01
If it's repeatable only in certain positions, it's likely BPPV or some other benign issue involving the balance structures in the inner ear. Epley doesn't work for everyone with BPPV, but it does help most. Nystagmus visible to the naked eye isn't always present either.

Whatever the cause, if it isn't "just anxiety", anxiety will still amplify your dizzy/vertigo symptoms, I know from experience! If the doctor isn't worried about a brain tumor, you don't need to either.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Boomblox
10-06-18, 20:35
It's mostly repeatable in the same positions, like 90% of the time. It's turning to the left or, worse, downward. Worst is downward left. Sometimes it's right but it's rare. Never upward.

And when lying down to do the dix-hallpike test, it's always left and never right. I mean, yeah, maybe a little little tad on the right, but hey I just dropped my head backward so I guess it plays a role. But the first time I did it on left... I was fine for 5 seconds and bam, everything started to spin. The more I do the test, the more it fatigues.

Then again, after doing the Epley maneuver many times... I do feel a little better today I think... The spinning is weaker when I turn my head. But I feel a little lightheaded most of the time in exchange. Also random out-of-nowhere very short spinning Vertigos... Probably anxiety as I'm downright horrified.

But yeah, anxiety does play a big role in all of these things, I know...