PDA

View Full Version : Shaking hand & health anxiety

hope_girl
10-06-18, 23:42
Totally assurance seeking here - but lately I’ve been going out of my mind with health anxiety. I’ve done a lot of work with my psychologist on this issue and CBT seems to be the most helpful form of therapy for me.

So lately I’ve been dealing with body wide muscle twitches that sent me down the ALS rabbit hole. I can easily say it’s been the worst of all my various health fears over the past decade. However, after several months of this, time is finally convincing me that I would have muscle weakness as well. I don’t. So my fear is starting to diminish.

And, in true health anxiety style, my body is now looking for another fear. What I’ve just noticed is that while typing on my keyboard at my kitchen table, my right hand begins shaking pretty considerably. But only when I'm reaching for the keyboard or lifting my fingers off it a bit.. Most notably my last three fingers. If I change positions or do anything else it’s fine. I have been obsessed with my right arm and hand because that is where the twitching began. To my knowledge tremors aren’t an initial sign of ALS but what do I know. Trying to stay away from Dr. Google.

I’ve basically had a good portion of my waking mind hanging out in my right arm for months. So every little feeling is noticed bc I’m in a hyper-vigilant right arm state. My arm doesn’t shake when I do other things, or when at rest. My hands have always been a tad shaky. My husband’s hands shake badly and have since I have known him. He has never even been remotely concerned.

Does anyone have any wisdom to offer here that will keep me from googling or running to the doctor? Two of my worst rituals to help with the obsessions. Thanks in advance!

2anxious4this
11-06-18, 04:33
Been dealing with this ALS rabbit hole for a month now and have seen my GP twice. How long has your hand been twitching? Does it feel different than your other hand?

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Anxiety can be powerful.

Andrash
11-06-18, 08:06
Totally assurance seeking here - but lately I’ve been going out of my mind with health anxiety. I’ve done a lot of work with my psychologist on this issue and CBT seems to be the most helpful form of therapy for me.

So lately I’ve been dealing with body wide muscle twitches that sent me down the ALS rabbit hole. I can easily say it’s been the worst of all my various health fears over the past decade. However, after several months of this, time is finally convincing me that I would have muscle weakness as well. I don’t. So my fear is starting to diminish.

And, in true health anxiety style, my body is now looking for another fear. What I’ve just noticed is that while typing on my keyboard at my kitchen table, my right hand begins shaking pretty considerably. But only when I'm reaching for the keyboard or lifting my fingers off it a bit.. Most notably my last three fingers. If I change positions or do anything else it’s fine. I have been obsessed with my right arm and hand because that is where the twitching began. To my knowledge tremors aren’t an initial sign of ALS but what do I know. Trying to stay away from Dr. Google.

I’ve basically had a good portion of my waking mind hanging out in my right arm for months. So every little feeling is noticed bc I’m in a hyper-vigilant right arm state. My arm doesn’t shake when I do other things, or when at rest. My hands have always been a tad shaky. My husband’s hands shake badly and have since I have known him. He has never even been remotely concerned.

Does anyone have any wisdom to offer here that will keep me from googling or running to the doctor? Two of my worst rituals to help with the obsessions. Thanks in advance!

ALS is about failing, not feeling. You are ABLE TO TYPE, you don't have ALS. If you had it you would not be able to type no matter what you did.

Fishmanpa
11-06-18, 13:17

I would discuss the reassurance seeking with your therapist. It's counter-productive to getting better.

Positive thoughts