PDA

View Full Version : Panic attack due to asbestos exposure

hope01
11-06-18, 06:33
This is my first post and I am completely devastated. I had being crying for days, with panic attacks and it feels that my happiness was completely taken away from me and that it will never come back during the rest of my life.

I live in a country in Central America. The vast majority of the houses here never had asbestos so this subject is something that almost nobody handle.

I live in an old house built by americans and I have a one year old toddler. The tiles of the house was ceramic tiles renovated before i moved. Some of the tiles in the living room got loose a couple months ago (maybe a year) reveling a black adhesive beneath. I never though it was something dangerous so because I didnt have enough money to fix the floor right away, we didnt fix the floor until a week ago.

It seems that the previous owner (a long time ago) changed the vinyl flooring with ceramic tiles. (Again, this subject is out of scope in my country)

All this time my baby was playing in the living room and sometimes he will play near the black patches or on the black patches (we tried to always keep him away) but he is just a toddler and we never though that it was something serious. I sweep on it as the rest of the floor and sometimes my boy helped me with his little broom.

So, the day of the renovation came. Because of the normal dusts of construction I took my son to another house and stayed with him. That day the tiles were taken away by the workers and there was a whole discussion of how we could take it away. Some of the black thing stayed attached to the tiles, the workers tried to scrap the adhesive left in the floor by hand, etc with not much success. They worked like until 3:30 pm. The debris of the floor were put outside the house but the dust covered the things of the house.

I went to visit my husband with my son at night that day to pick up some clothes like at 8:30 pm. My son entered the house for less than 10 minutes he never touched the debris.

Later, I talked with an architect that I know just for advise and then he mentioned that the black thing could be black mastic and mentioned asbestos. (Again, nobody in my country seems to take it serious)

So that night I began to google the word asbestos and it came down a a bomb to me.

Now I cant sleep, I cant stop crying..not for me or for other members of my family but because of my son. He is just a baby. He is just one year old. If I get a disease in 30 years ( I am almost 40) I will had lived a whole live. But then my son is just one year old.

I had read a lot of terrible things and everyday I feel worse and worse. Everytime I see his beautiful smile I just want to cry.

I am desperate and I dont know what to do.

Andrash
11-06-18, 07:56
This is my first post and I am completely devastated. I had being crying for days, with panic attacks and it feels that my happiness was completely taken away from me and that it will never come back during the rest of my life.

I live in a country in Central America. The vast majority of the houses here never had asbestos so this subject is something that almost nobody handle.

I live in an old house built by americans and I have a one year old toddler. The tiles of the house was ceramic tiles renovated before i moved. Some of the tiles in the living room got loose a couple months ago (maybe a year) reveling a black adhesive beneath. I never though it was something dangerous so because I didnt have enough money to fix the floor right away, we didnt fix the floor until a week ago.

It seems that the previous owner (a long time ago) changed the vinyl flooring with ceramic tiles. (Again, this subject is out of scope in my country)

All this time my baby was playing in the living room and sometimes he will play near the black patches or on the black patches (we tried to always keep him away) but he is just a toddler and we never though that it was something serious. I sweep on it as the rest of the floor and sometimes my boy helped me with his little broom.

So, the day of the renovation came. Because of the normal dusts of construction I took my son to another house and stayed with him. That day the tiles were taken away by the workers and there was a whole discussion of how we could take it away. Some of the black thing stayed attached to the tiles, the workers tried to scrap the adhesive left in the floor by hand, etc with not much success. They worked like until 3:30 pm. The debris of the floor were put outside the house but the dust covered the things of the house.

I went to visit my husband with my son at night that day to pick up some clothes like at 8:30 pm. My son entered the house for less than 10 minutes he never touched the debris.

Later, I talked with an architect that I know just for advise and then he mentioned that the black thing could be black mastic and mentioned asbestos. (Again, nobody in my country seems to take it serious)

So that night I began to google the word asbestos and it came down a a bomb to me.

Now I cant sleep, I cant stop crying..not for me or for other members of my family but because of my son. He is just a baby. He is just one year old. If I get a disease in 30 years ( I am almost 40) I will had lived a whole live. But then my son is just one year old.

I had read a lot of terrible things and everyday I feel worse and worse. Everytime I see his beautiful smile I just want to cry.

I am desperate and I dont know what to do.

It is true that asbestos exposure can cause some scary diseases, but VAST, OVERWHELMING MAJORITY of exposed people do not catch these. Moreover, the people most at risk are these who were exposed to asbestos debris/dust over long periods of time (construction workers etc) - as you and your son were only there for an hour or so, I would say that the risk of him or you having problems later are zero.

It is similar to passive smoking - you probably sat in a room full of people smoking once or twice in life. That does not mean you will get lung cancer from it.

Fishmanpa
11-06-18, 13:14
So there's black adhesive left over from tiles. The guy doesn't even know what the adhesive is, takes a guess, and you've taken a guess and turned into a unrealistic life threatening situation which it's not... but that anxiety for ya.

Positive thoughts

hope01
11-06-18, 17:43
Hi, it was black adhesive and some felt from a previous vinyl floor.
I wish I can find statistics about the percentage of people getting sick over time after an asbestos exposure, but I cannot find it anywhere.

Fishmanpa
11-06-18, 17:48
Hi, it was black adhesive and some felt from a previous vinyl floor. I wish I can find statistics about the percentage of people getting sick over time after an asbestos exposure, but I cannot find it anywhere.

That's because there are none. Those that have had multiple extended exposures are the ones that are at risk and there are plenty of documented cases of that. It's like those that fear an x ray or scan will cause cancer. While they say there's an increased risk of cancer, there are no documented cases of that ever happening :shrug:

Positive thoughts