PDA

View Full Version : New day, new bat

golddustgirl1000
22-05-18, 07:20
Hello everyone.. I’m new here... I just needed help and had nowhere to go..

On Friday night I was at a huge concert outdoors 60k people.. my husband and I saw bats flying overhead.. at least what appeared to be bats at dusk..

Anyway.. about a half hour later I felt this burning /stinging/ itching pain on my leg.. I kept checking but didn’t see anything down there..

The next day I noticed 2 small pinprick dots side by side... we were sitting on bleacher like seats... there was space underneath it but it was all metal and concrete.. I was wearing a flowey skirt with the front of my legs exposed...

What are the chances a bat could have gotten down there and bit me? Mind you.. 60k people.. tiered seating.. wouldn’t I have felt it fly into me? Can bates even bite when they are flying??? It was super loud and dark at this time.. any chance I could miss this? There were also people crowded in above below and around me...

The only thing that is keeping me kind of sane is the fact that I dry shaved 3 hours before... so maybe it was razor burn? The spots went away after a day... but I’ve read that you can’t see a bat bite!!

Pkstracy
22-05-18, 07:27
Bats don't just fly up and bite you for no reason, could you have scratched it on bleacher, could it have been mosquito bite, chigger. Here is what I found All Bats Carry Rabies.
FALLACY. All mammals can contract and carry rabies, however bats are not asymptomatic carriers of the disease. In reality, bats contract rabies far less than other animals. Less than 1/2 of 1% of all bats may contract the disease. A variety of wild animals (rabies vector species) can catch rabies, including foxes, skunks, raccoons, coyotes and bats. Cats and dogs and even livestock can also contract rabies. batworld.org. Yes it could have been from your razor

golddustgirl1000
22-05-18, 07:35
Lol I know.. that’s what I’m trying to think too... I mean.. I don’t think so.. the bleachers were smooth sleek metal... the part that was irritated was on the front of my leg which was only exposed to air.. we don’t have mosquitos.. and chiggers.. well like I said I was in a super urban area lol.. just seems weird it started being irritated 3 hours later but maybe that’s how razor burn works..

And yes I now not all bats do...you just hear scary things..especially the fact that I saw them in a large crowd.. I’ve heard sick bats do things that went normal.. and to me flying near a large crowd isn’t.... but maybe bats arnt afraid of humans. Idk....

paranoid-viking
22-05-18, 08:52
For some people summer is the time of prosperity and happiness and everything flourishing. For others it is rabies fear:lac:Very, very , very sad.
I feel verry sorry for those of you obsessing yourself over rabies, I really do. Not because I think you get rabies, cause YOU DONT, but because you are wasting wonderful time in this life; in this one chance we got in life in this nonsense. That is why you need treatmen, not for your imaginary rabies but for ANXIETY. Nuff said.

---------- Post added at 09:52 ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 ----------

Lol I know.. that’s what I’m trying to think too... I mean.. I don’t think so.. the bleachers were smooth sleek metal... the part that was irritated was on the front of my leg which was only exposed to air.. we don’t have mosquitos.. and chiggers.. well like I said I was in a super urban area lol.. just seems weird it started being irritated 3 hours later but maybe that’s how razor burn works..

And yes I now not all bats do...you just hear scary things..especially the fact that I saw them in a large crowd.. I’ve heard sick bats do things that went normal.. and to me flying near a large crowd isn’t.... but maybe bats arnt afraid of humans. Idk....

Yes but, no but, yes but no but....you dont have rabies! PERIOD! You need help for your anxiety. PERIOD! And meanwhile try to enjoy the summer. It is a very short and wonderful time.

ServerError
22-05-18, 14:48
I know this is hardly the topic of the thread, but I have to ask - what are "bleacher like seats."

They sound like they'd burn.

Pkstracy
22-05-18, 19:04
Yeah it could be razor burn, heck when I had a barn with horses and cows, I would go in and there would be bats hanging from the beams, one flew down landed on my shirt and just sat there, for a bit and then flew off, everytime I would go into the barn and feed the horses and tend to them, one would come down to check me out, bleacher seats are like what are in gyms in high schools, sporting events https://www.sightlinesbleachers.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/DLW-4-15.jpg

appleDarling
22-05-18, 22:43
I just wanted to post & offer support/solidarity. I drove myself absolutely CRAZY with worry one summer over rabies fears, & my situation, in retrospect, did not warrant the level of fear I experienced AT ALL. I just want to say that in all the research I did on rabies at that time, what I discovered is that it's very, very unlikely in a general sense. In my case, I had a really rude & uninformed quack doctor at the urgent care exacerbate my worries (in an attempt to scare me) - only for my PCP to arch a brow & go... HUH?!

I strongly, strongly doubt a bat could've bitten you without you actually noticing.

golddustgirl1000
25-05-18, 16:34
Thank you guys for your input.. I know it’s an irrational fear.. I get it.. but just because it’s irrational doesn’t make it any less distressing.. kicking someone when down doesn’t help.. I know some people try to be logical.. but we do have emotions and need a little more encouragement sometimes.

On the other side, to the encouragement I did receive thank you... I’m simmering down and not worried as much.. just trying not to think about it.

Andrash
25-05-18, 16:54
Thank you guys for your input.. I know it’s an irrational fear.. I get it.. but just because it’s irrational doesn’t make it any less distressing.. kicking someone when down doesn’t help.. I know some people try to be logical.. but we do have emotions and need a little more encouragement sometimes.

On the other side, to the encouragement I did receive thank you... I’m simmering down and not worried as much.. just trying not to think about it.

It is totally fine, even commendable, to be emotional person but, for your own sake, you should not let unhealthy emotions, such as anxiety, ruin your life. As for the encouragement, here is my best effort - the chance that you got bitten by a rabid bat while attending a rock concert is zero. Literally zero. The fact that the spot went away after a day and that, except for anxiety, you fill fine, proves that nothing else serious occurred. No offence, but I think that deep down you know it too - therefore you just need to have that knowledge prevail over anxiety.

golddustgirl1000
01-06-18, 16:17
I know... and I’m trying to think it’s not...I had a super busy week/ weekend that distracted me... but last night I got super exhausted andcould barely move... the susPect spot on my leg yesterday started ringing and itching ... and I also have a cough now too... I’m fearing the worst! I’m really really trying to believe it’s nothing but it’s so hard...

Andrash
01-06-18, 16:28
I know... and I’m trying to think it’s not...I had a super busy week/ weekend that distracted me... but last night I got super exhausted andcould barely move... the susPect spot on my leg yesterday started ringing and itching ... and I also have a cough now too... I’m fearing the worst! I’m really really trying to believe it’s nothing but it’s so hard...

Well, there is your cause and consequence. You had a super busy week and weekend and last night your body told you OK, enough now, time to stop and rest. And you are on the right track - activity works wonders for anxiety, as you saw for yourself last (super busy week).

Another thing - being anxious and concentrating on a symptom or part of body causes all sorts of weird sensations in that part of body/magnifies a symptom threefold. It is a proven fact. Get some rest, than be active again - I am sure your spot will stop bothering you and you will not even notice it has happened.

golddustgirl1000
01-06-18, 16:44
Uh I know.. I just had so much energy when I got back from this past weekend... and for two days I was good... now I feel like I’m getting sick! It’s hard to
Not fear the worst!

Fishmanpa
01-06-18, 16:48
It’s hard to Not fear the worst!

How so? When the choice is I'm fine compared with getting rabies from an invisible bat, the choice is easy :D

Positive thoughts

golddustgirl1000
01-06-18, 18:48
It’s hard cause I’m just not feeling well right now. Fatigue, tingling, coughing, mild nausea... just a general overall feeling of being unwell...

Fishmanpa
01-06-18, 18:49
I hope you feel better soon :)

Positive thoughts

golddustgirl1000
12-06-18, 05:27
I was watering my plants last night and walked around my patio to get to the to the other side. Our patio area is surrounded in ivy/ mulch, and these small little palm like plants...when I turned around to come back I felt a sharp pain just above my knee.. I looked Down and saw nothing.. I was about 5 inches away from the nearest bush... of course my mind thinks it’s me invisible rapid bat... but it was a pretty noticeable pain... anyone ever have that... bat anxiety again...

TikPandora
12-06-18, 07:29
You would have definitely noticed if it was a bat. Typically you would hear them, or even feel the different parts of one hitting your leg/knee. A bat isn't just going to swoop out of nowhere, bite you, and then fly away. You probably brushed against a sharp part of one of the plants in your patio area.

nomorepanic
12-06-18, 12:05
Bats don't go out of their way to bite you - they avoid you. I know cos they fly round my back garden.

But yeah you are right it was an invisible bat that didn't bite you.

golddustgirl1000
12-06-18, 19:47
Uhhh I’m trying to believe that- but I went online and saw that the two most common bats in my area are so small I wouldn’t even feel them.: and theycome our at dusk which is when I was watering!

I looked down and saw nothing tho! I mean.. wouldn’t I have felt it hit me???

paranoid-viking
12-06-18, 19:54
What are you doing to treat your anxiety? Are you walking around saying these "rabies" things to people around you?

Fishmanpa
12-06-18, 20:08
There's nothing really to add but this....

https://media.giphy.com/media/7BKpdr5rBfDxK/giphy.gif

:winks:

Positive thoughts

golddustgirl1000
12-06-18, 20:15
Am I walking around saying this? What does that mean? I’m a very open person and share my anxieties with people around me for prayer.. support... so in that regard yes, and no I’m
Not living in a hole of darkness alone...

---------- Post added at 12:15 ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 ----------

And yes I am running through the cbt guides I have seen on here...

utrocket09
12-06-18, 20:38
I was watering my plants last night and walked around my patio to get to the to the other side. Our patio area is surrounded in ivy/ mulch, and these small little palm like plants...when I turned around to come back I felt a sharp pain just above my knee.. I looked Down and saw nothing.. I was about 5 inches away from the nearest bush... of course my mind thinks it’s me invisible rapid bat... but it was a pretty noticeable pain... anyone ever have that... bat anxiety again...

There is no way that could have happend. If anything you probably got bit by something. A bug...not a bat

Fishmanpa
12-06-18, 20:42
Am I walking around saying this? What does that mean? I’m a very open person and share my anxieties with people around me for prayer.. support... so in that regard yes

So when you share these irrational thoughts, are you being told they're irrational? If so, it's no different than what you're being told here :shrug: I've seen my share of invisible bat threads here and none of them were in the realm of reality.

I'm glad to see you're working with the CBT course. There are some great worksheets where you can write down your thoughts and the reality and it makes it as black and white as it can be. Real life and virtual support can tell you this is irrational till the cows come home but ultimately, you have to convince your HA mind.

Positive thoughts

Scass
12-06-18, 21:32
It’s more likely to be a plant or gnat or mosquito.

Is there blood, a wound? Lingering pain, swelling?

Why does your mind jump to bat? I see a bat sometimes in my garden at dusk. I’ve never once assumed that it would bite me? I know that’s not the way my anxiety is, but what has made yours about bats?

Which country are you in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paranoid-viking
13-06-18, 00:19
Am I walking around saying this? What does that mean? I’m a very open person and share my anxieties with people around me for prayer.. support... so in that regard yes, and no I’m
Not living in a hole of darkness alone...

---------- Post added at 12:15 ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 ----------

And yes I am running through the cbt guides I have seen on here...

Yes, and what do they think about all your rabies talk? Do they find it normal?

golddustgirl1000
14-06-18, 00:04
No.. no mark, but I read you can’t always see bat marks.

And no of course my friends don’t think it’s normal thinking.. but they understand that to me it feels real.. and it’s hard to believe that it wasn’t a bat...

paranoid-viking
14-06-18, 00:22
It’s more likely to be a plant or gnat or mosquito.

Is there blood, a wound? Lingering pain, swelling?

Why does your mind jump to bat? I see a bat sometimes in my garden at dusk. I’ve never once assumed that it would bite me? I know that’s not the way my anxiety is, but what has made yours about bats?

Which country are you in?

The mind jumps to a bat beacuse a completely irrational anxious mind only focus on the very extreme worst case scenario always although it is so unlikely that you are more likely to be hit by a meteor or win the million dollar lottery every week for a year.

NervUs
14-06-18, 00:36
The mind jumps to a bat beacuse a completely irrational anxious mind only focus on the very extreme worst case scenario always although it is so unlikely that you are more likely to be hit by a meteor or win the million dollar lottery every week for a year.

Sure, the anxious mind catastrophizes...

But, the OP is in the USA. I am there too and have had the invisible bat fear one time. Bats are the biggest rabies transmitter in the USA, and about half of the bat cases (known bat cases, through testing) occurred in people who were unaware of coming into contact with a bat or where the circumstances are unknown but the victim never mentioned contact with a bat. In the 90s, I believe, there was one kid case where the kid had a bat in her room and her relatives came in and killed it and all the ruckus never woke her up. Since then, the policy has been to get rabies shots if you wake up to a bat in the room b/c you might sleep through it.

Any American who has googled knows this. Yes, it's an irrational fear but one that our top public health agency actually gives credence to....so....if you have anxiety and you read that and you know about the cases, your mind can fill in a ton of details and connect a lot of dots.

IN my opinion, the constant huff and puff here about this being the most irrational of the irrational fears is misplaced. Knowing a fear is irrational doesn't get you over the fear.

Instead, it is really accepting that there is a risk of the terrible happening and being able to live with that, truly and sincerely. And That but is incredibly hard for all of us with HA, whether our fear is rabies, or cancer, or syphilis. I think it's because our minds race and we really can empathize with the stories, like we can feel what the entire experience would be like. That's what happens to me at least.

Scass
14-06-18, 07:26
You’re so right. So how do you live with the fear and rationalise it?

golddustgirl1000
15-06-18, 19:02
Good question ����*♀️

Bigboyuk
15-06-18, 19:11
The Morals of this is stop googling it always shows the worst case scenario's ( I Know it's easier said than done but it has to be done to break the cycle) and get help for your HA and irrational fears it is treatable you know, you only get one go in life so make the most of it :) ATB

golddustgirl1000
18-06-18, 19:55
I’ve been doing good for the past few days... haven’t gone online, been less anxious..

Well today I was listening to talk radio in my car... and in the newstime the first thing they mention is a rapid bat that has been found 10 miles from my house.. 2 days after this incident... I swear.... trying not to go back into full- blown panic...

Fishmanpa
18-06-18, 21:04
You’re so right. So how do you live with the fear and rationalise it?

It's the pure irrationality of the fear combined with the astronomically low odds of this happening. Do you shake in uncontrollable fear driving to work or crossing the street? What about dying from some other accident like a fall or by gunfire or a lightning strike? The things I listed there are much, much more likely causes of death than rabies or some brain eating amoeba!

To me, that just makes sense :D

Positive thoughts

jray23
18-06-18, 22:47
... and it’s hard to believe that it wasn’t a bat...

Why is it hard to believe? What evidence do you have? Have you considered other possibilities, and if so, what are they?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

NervUs
19-06-18, 01:32
Hypochondria rule # 12- once you begin to fear something, you will begin noticing that thing EVERYWHERE.

This is the deal. There have been reports of rabid bats in your area before, but you never noticed. The fact that there was a rabid bat 10 miles away doesn't change the fact that you never even encountered a bat.

Hypochondria does whatever it can to reassert itself the minute you begin to forget. That is Rule #13. It helps if you can NOT allow yourself to react to news like this. When you react with fear, all those rabies fear synapses make the little pathways they've carved out in your brain even stronger. It is really hard to do but shut it down, just like you would a sweaty guy with no teeth and a comb over coming onto you at a bar (not that there's anything wrong with that :-P )

golddustgirl1000
19-06-18, 18:58
Fish ma: no.. but I don’t really fear that kind of stuff... I fear more crazy diseases..

Jr: yes of course... I keep trying to talk myself out of it... thing is there was nothing in that spot to poke...there were plants about a foot away on each side..but when I felt pain I looked down and nothing :/ just a sharp pain..

Nerv: yes it is true.. this one is just ironic.. especially since it’s the next town over... I’m trying to rationalize and tell myself it’s not possible.. that a sick bat wouldn’t be able to fly that far in two days... etc etc...

It’s teue... what are some practical ways to shut it down... I just try tell myself in my head..
Not possible... but man is it rough right now

NervUs
19-06-18, 22:41
It is very hard to challenge your thinking. I would literally think "NOt today" anxiety, or something like that. Show your brain who is boss. You might need to do it 35 times ina row, but you do want to deny your brain of any panicked response.

golddustgirl1000
20-06-18, 21:32
It is.. I made it through yesterday okay with this strategy..

Today I feel super off though.. dizzy, hard to breathe, super heavy/ lethargic... it’s hard to not let my brain go to a bad place when I feel like I’m going to pass out.

NervUs
22-06-18, 01:51
Dreaming...I learned that I had to ignore feeling bad. Most of the time, if I'm really scared about something, I start to feel bad physically. The crap thing about HA is you can't trust yourself or your instincts.

Hope you are feeling a bit better today and having success controlling your thoughts.

I am in a zoonotic disease loop myself- I don't feel exposure but that there could be one in the future due to a possibility of roundworm eggs in the yard. UGH. I am working up the courage just to walk on the grass where I think they are. More worried about my kid and her friends than myself. but...it takes a lot of energy to control thoughts, and this one has been easy to compartmentalize b/c of work, not being home, etc etc.

golddustgirl1000
23-06-18, 01:23
Thank you guys.. I’m definitely trying to stay in a better mental state / pushing it away..ignoring it... I’ve been going through some days when my body feels crappy and then it triggers worry.. I’m trying to break through that hump.. and tell myself that if I was sick I’d be getting worse...my anxiety triggers fatigue and dizziness.. nervous- I’m sorry to hear about that.. that is crazy! I couldn’t imagine not being able to go in the grass.. although I’m sure some people can’t imagine worrying about rabies... here for you and praying for healthy state of mind!

golddustgirl1000
26-06-18, 08:28
Guys help..

I have been doing fine the last few days.. all of a sudden tonight when I was working on my computer I started to feel uneasy in the stomach.. I laid on the floor to stretch out my back.. because sometimes my back gets stiff and makes me kinda sick..

All of a sudden my ears started becoming super plugged up and ringing now..

I took a shower to try to calm down, as well as a Pepcid thinking maybe it was acid reflux when I went to take it I felt like my throat was closing and I could barely get the water down..I also feel like my vision is shifting..

im Scared... I know that I can talk myself out of it.... about the bat.. I would have seen it.. felt it... it wouldn’t just swoop down.. I know...but right now I’m doing all I can to
Not throw up.

golddustgirl1000
26-06-18, 18:37
Uh I finally went to bed... then woke up and I feel very queasy.. every time I eat or swallow I feel like I need to vomit.. I also feel lightheaded and off..trying not to let my brain go crazy!

jray23
26-06-18, 19:04
All of these symptoms can be linked to anxiety which is probably 100000x more likely than being bitten by some ninja/invisible bat that doesn't even leave a bite mark.

Sounds like you were chilling at your computer and felt a physical sensation that, because you're on a heightened state of awareness/anxiety, went on to trigger more physical symptoms, which in turn triggers more anxiety. We've all been there!

golddustgirl1000
04-07-18, 11:10
Guys.

I’ve been better the past week.. more healthy eating right. It is now 3:05 am.. I hate to be graphic but I was intimate with my husband and right after experienced crazy diziness/ walking issues/ vertigo l.I tagged it to blood pressure. Now I woke 3 hours later and now I’m ccknstantly dizzy. I can’t walk straight and I’m feeling weird itchy tingly/ nerve sensations in my head... I tried to fight thinking this... but what if this is it... could this be beginnng???

---------- Post added at 03:10 ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 ----------

Help!!! I’m laying here panicking and don’t want to wake my husband!

Fishmanpa
04-07-18, 15:14
If after close to a month you're still hanging onto this irrationality, I'm afraid no words will help (they haven't yet). I strongly suggest real life professional help.

Good luck and as always...

Positive thoughts

golddustgirl1000
04-07-18, 15:59
This isn’t irrational... I feel like I’m on a tilt o whirl and can’t get off... any time I move I want to throw up...

---------- Post added at 07:59 ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 ----------

And they did help.. I just thought to myself last night how I had finally stopped worrying about it.

Fishmanpa
04-07-18, 16:11
This isn’t irrational...

I don't doubt you're having symptoms. It's just not rabies :shrug:

Positive thoughts

AMomentofClarity
04-07-18, 16:15
There is a 0% chance you have rabies. Most of your “symptoms” are probably being driven by your anxiety around rabies.

Elen
04-07-18, 16:20
This isn’t irrational...

I have merged your threads, but yes it is irrational.

If either of your fears had been real, then you would know for sure that it is not anxiety by now for sure.

Are you getting any help with your anxiety?

Scass
04-07-18, 18:16
It does sound irrational. Have you gone back and read your thread from the beginning?

You’re experiencing classic anxiety. We know it, we’ve seen it before, we’ve had it ourselves.
Why even post on here if you’re so sure it’s not anxiety?

jray23
04-07-18, 19:36
Here's what we know, rationally. You do NOT have rabies. You do have anxiety. We do not know if there is something else.

Therefore you should get treatment for the anxiety. You may also choose to ask a doctor about your symptoms, to see if something else is causing them. But at the very least, try treating what we know - anxiety, and see what happens.

Pkstracy
29-07-18, 18:50
It is very rare for a bat to bite you you do not have rabies if you were that concerned you would be going to doctor not posting on here looking for reassurance, you do have health anxiety, go get treatment for that please you aren't doing any good for yourself.

Gixxerdude
17-04-20, 07:00
I thought I was the only one with the invisible bat syndrome lol anybody work through the Brain eating amoeba syndrome yet ???

HelloPanda23
19-04-20, 09:49
I thought I was the only one with the invisible bat syndrome lol anybody work through the Brain eating amoeba syndrome yet ???

Many of us have gone through the brain eating amoeba syndrome.
https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?231180-Think-you-got-PAM-Brain-eating-amoeba-READ-THIS!&p=1888240#post1888240
Check that thread out, I wrote it with 2 years of experience with the brain eating amoeba fear along with hundreds of hours of research in it.