PDA

View Full Version : Diagnosed with Fatty Liver and now I'm am itching

Dave_Lister
12-06-18, 20:08
Hi,

I was diagnosed with Fatty Liver a couple of months ago, and have really cut down on the alcohol by doctors orders. He said it was an incidental finding because I was having abdomen discomfort under right rib.

Just recently I have been getting itchy skin. I am not sure if it is from allergies or the liver, but I definitely get worse when I go to bed.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Could this be from my liver?

Scass
12-06-18, 20:24
I don’t know, it could be - only your doctor can test though. But anxiety causes itchy skin too. Or maybe it’s just dry? Could you put lotion on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AMomentofClarity
12-06-18, 20:32
Any chance it’s allergies? I think the itchy skin is more a symptom of late stage liver disease, not a minor issue like fatty liver.

Dave_Lister
12-06-18, 20:37
I was wondering that too because it is allergy season here in my neck of the woods.

It just seems to get worse at night, and lately I have been having a feeling like my legs are restless in bed as well.

---------- Post added at 12:37 ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 ----------

I don’t know, it could be - only your doctor can test though. But anxiety causes itchy skin too. Or maybe it’s just dry? Could you put lotion on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My LFTs came back normal when the did the Ultrasound. All they said was I had more fat on my liver than when I did back in 2015' Ultrasound.

They didn't even tell me I had a fatty liver back in 2015.:blush:

ServerError
12-06-18, 22:19
Fatty liver is common. That's not to say it's a good thing to have, but you're walking past people every day who have fatty liver. Most people don't know they have it because they don't have an abdominal ultrasound.

The liver is a resilient organ. Fatty liver is no reason to panic. You can make lifestyle changes that improve the situation. But even some people who look healthy can have it. Best thing you can do is live a healthy lifestyle.

Dave_Lister
13-06-18, 01:20
Fatty liver is common. That's not to say it's a good thing to have, but you're walking past people every day who have fatty liver. Most people don't know they have it because they don't have an abdominal ultrasound.

The liver is a resilient organ. Fatty liver is no reason to panic. You can make lifestyle changes that improve the situation. But even some people who look healthy can have it. Best thing you can do is live a healthy lifestyle.

I know it’s common but you know how this dragon of ours works. I am sure it’s something other than liver but you know how that goes.

How you been doing Server?

paranoid-viking
13-06-18, 09:45

It is common, but it is far from harmless because it is a clear warning sign that one is not living healthy and is not taking proparly care of the body. So if one is informed of this by the doc they should absolute do whatever they can to reverse it. It is not a disease, but a warning sign. And stop drinking alcohol must be on top of priority list. I dont write to worry anyone; but if one is told fatty liver they must do a radical change in diet, at least for a couple of months for the liver to go back to normal.

As for the OP he seem to be on the right track with reversing the situation so it is probably nothing. Itching in severe diseases is intense and not just some random itching on the back. Can very welll just be anxiety or not even that.

ServerError
13-06-18, 10:29
I didn't mean to imply it was harmless. That wasn't what I was suggesting at all. I even said it was a sign that things need to change. But at the same time people can panic over something like this, and it certainly isn't a cause to do that. As you say, a warning is exactly what it is.

Dave_Lister
13-06-18, 19:58
I am leaning towards s the itching being from seasonal allergies and dust in our house because I only really get itchy when I go to bed and I start to fall asleep. It’s either allergies or some sort of anxiety because I have also been getting some restless leg feeling

kellymyster
28-06-18, 19:38
Itching secondary to liver diseases, including primary biliary cirrhosis, primary sclerosing cholangitis, and
hepatitis C, is a very difficult symptom for patients to endure and for physicians to manage. The reason
why patients with liver disease itch is not known. It has been thought that some substances accumulate in
the blood as a result of liver disease, causing itch.

Although the nature of the substance(s) that cause itch in liver disease is not known, evidence has been
accumulating over the past several years to suggest that some substances that are found normally in plasma known as endogenous opioids (e.g. enkephalins), contribute, at least in part to the itch secondary to liver disease. It has been proposed that these neurotransmitters cause itch by acting on special areas of the brain. Other substances that also accumulate in the blood in liver disease, including bile acids, may also play a role in this type of itch. There is no strong evidence, however, to support that bile acids cause this type of itch.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Fishmanpa
28-06-18, 19:39
Itching secondary to liver diseases, including primary biliary cirrhosis, primary sclerosing cholangitis, and
hepatitis C, is a very difficult symptom for patients to endure and for physicians to manage. The reason
why patients with liver disease itch is not known. It has been thought that some substances accumulate in
the blood as a result of liver disease, causing itch.

Although the nature of the substance(s) that cause itch in liver disease is not known, evidence has been
accumulating over the past several years to suggest that some substances that are found normally in plasma known as endogenous opioids (e.g. enkephalins), contribute, at least in part to the itch secondary to liver disease. It has been proposed that these neurotransmitters cause itch by acting on special areas of the brain. Other substances that also accumulate in the blood in liver disease, including bile acids, may also play a role in this type of itch. There is no strong evidence, however, to support that bile acids cause this type of itch.

Thank you Dr. Google! :winks:

Positive thoughts

Dave_Lister
28-06-18, 21:10
Thank you Dr. Google! :winks:

Positive thoughts

I don't itch anymore, so it must have been due to seasonal allergies.

kellymyster
28-06-18, 21:14
I don't itch anymore, so it must have been due to seasonal allergies.Good I'm glad you don't itch anymore. I have been sick my entire life with kidney stones gallstones chronic pancreatitis migraines heel spurs back and neck problems so I feel for people who are having ailments. Glad to hear it was only allergies

Dave_Lister
28-06-18, 23:49
Good I'm glad you don't itch anymore. I have been sick my entire life with kidney stones gallstones chronic pancreatitis migraines heel spurs back and neck problems so I feel for people who are having ailments. Glad to hear it was only allergies

I hope you get better Kelly:hugs:

kellymyster
29-06-18, 00:44
I hope you get better Kelly:hugs:Thank you Mr Lister as long as I watch what I eat and make sure it's very low fat I do okay. Although it's very hard to stick to a low fat diet every once in awhile I say forget it and have something fattening and wind up in the hospital but it's so worth it LOL