PDA

View Full Version : Yes, rabies

NervUs
13-06-18, 00:15
So, I was innocently at the park and this woman had two enormous dogs that she could not control. Before we passed her, I asked if we could go, or if she wanted to go first. She told us we could come, which I knew was a mistake, because the dogs started leaping toward us, playfully....I reached out for my four year old, as she was scared, and before I know it, my hand is in the do'gs mouth. My entire flipping hand. It left a red mark, but there does not appear to be broken skin.

I am mostly staying calm as the dogs seemed to be acting normally and they seemed groomed and very well cared for. But Mon Dieu! Why??

Is this something other people would get a rabies shot for? My inclination is no, but I didn't exchange info with her and there is no way I can check on the dogs health in 10 days. Am I making the wrong decision?

I used to be such a dog person, but Jesus. Don't let your dogs do that, people!

AMomentofClarity
13-06-18, 00:29
You’ll be absolutely fine without shots. The odds of well kept dogs in America having rabies is minuscule to begin with. Plus the fact it didn’t even break skin means there’s even less risk. I wouldn’t worry about it.

Fishmanpa
13-06-18, 00:42
In the US, it's law in most every state that your dog be registered and rabies vaccinations up to date. So uhhhh no :lac:

Positive thoughts

NervUs
13-06-18, 01:10
One thing throwing me is the red mark.

Can you get a red mark without breaking skin? Well, from teeth? I felt the teeth.

Fishmanpa
13-06-18, 01:16
Guess you've never owned a dog or cat? :shrug:

Positive thoughts

AMomentofClarity
13-06-18, 01:30
One thing throwing me is the red mark.

Can you get a red mark without breaking skin? Well, from teeth? I felt the teeth.

Yes, it’s mild irritation. Sometimes it even gets raised a little bit, but no blood, no break in the skin.

NervUs
13-06-18, 02:43
Yes, it’s mild irritation. Sometimes it even gets raised a little bit, but no blood, no break in the skin.

OK, thank you!

The whole situation was just so discombobulating. I have never had a dog that I just met on a trail mouth me. I almost died when I saw the mark, but the person was gone. I wish I had thought to ask for contact info b/c it would help my mental state if I could learn that the dogs are alive and well in 10 days time.

I am not a stranger to rabies worry. I am getting better, but this was just not what I needed exactly! And, I have never been aware of getting a mark like this without a scratch or any flaking skin even! Maybe it's happened, I've just not noticed.

Thanks for your reply!!

MyNameIsTerry
13-06-18, 04:53
To be honest I would be surprised if they gave you there details. Rabies is such a long shot to them, which they will know is not going to happen when their dogs are vaccinated anyway, that they are more likely to assume it will be about the dog being uncontrolled e.g. solicitors involved.

As Clarity said though, it's not a skin break anyway, just irritation like a graze. The teeth have rubbed against your skin causing that but not enough to break through.

An over excited dog did that to me a couple of years ago and with it's temperament it shouldn't have even been off the lead but it was a fairly secluded place. It caused some bleeding. I was more bothered about stopping myself causing some bleeding to the stupid owner at the time though :winks:

NervUs
14-06-18, 00:08
To be honest I would be surprised if they gave you there details. Rabies is such a long shot to them, which they will know is not going to happen when their dogs are vaccinated anyway, that they are more likely to assume it will be about the dog being uncontrolled e.g. solicitors involved.

As Clarity said though, it's not a skin break anyway, just irritation like a graze. The teeth have rubbed against your skin causing that but not enough to break through.

An over excited dog did that to me a couple of years ago and with it's temperament it shouldn't have even been off the lead but it was a fairly secluded place. It caused some bleeding. I was more bothered about stopping myself causing some bleeding to the stupid owner at the time though :winks:

I am angry at the woman, seriously. She seemed to be trying to train her dogs and was failing miserably, and why did she think it was fine and dandy to test them out on a woman with 4 kids in tow, including a 4 year old????? I mean, good lord!

The mark is pretty much gone today. I was able to make something out in some light but not all.

Hope that's a good sign that the skin really was not broken. You never know about people and vaccinations. I hope to catch her again some day at the park. Fingers crossed!

MyNameIsTerry
14-06-18, 04:46
I am angry at the woman, seriously. She seemed to be trying to train her dogs and was failing miserably, and why did she think it was fine and dandy to test them out on a woman with 4 kids in tow, including a 4 year old????? I mean, good lord!

The mark is pretty much gone today. I was able to make something out in some light but not all.

Hope that's a good sign that the skin really was not broken. You never know about people and vaccinations. I hope to catch her again some day at the park. Fingers crossed!

I'm sure you will be fine.

Sadly some people don't always consider how their dogs will react around others and rather than train them in quieter places first they just assume it will all go well at any public place.

Kids get scared of dogs because of stuff like this.