PDA

View Full Version : Bat rabies anxiety

Guy4
13-06-18, 07:11
I was bit by something about two months ago on April 18th. I went to multiple doctors a month after. They all told it was most likely a bug bite, I only showed them the picture. (see below)

I cannot get out of my mind that a bat flew into my room bit me and then left without me noticing.

I keep twitching tingling and itching in both the spot and all over my body.

I am just waiting for the day I become hospitalized and die of rabies. The only reason I am functioning is because of 1mg of klonapin.

I'm here for reassurance, I don't know where else to turn.

imgur com/a/3D279uO

weallmissedme
13-06-18, 09:32
Well, I'm going to be brutal, but it MAY reassure you.

Two months is an abnormally long incubation period for rabies.

There's no way a bat got in to your room, bit you, and escaped without you noticing. They're small, and light, but you'd have felt it. Plus, it's not like bats plan out biting people, even if they are rabid. You would have certainly felt a bat.

I had this fear months ago, the twitching and itchiness is all in your head, more than likely.

-But, even if I'm wrong, if you're experiencing symptoms, it'd already be too late, and you're guaranteed to die. Keep in mind, this is very very very unlikely, especially because of how well rabies has been controlled in the 21st century.

paranoid-viking
13-06-18, 09:36
It is so sad to read how many here is waisting the short and beautiful summer months woth nonsense about rabies and "brain eating amoebas".

Have you guys considering putting yourself in the shoes of people around you; family and friends. Try to think that you are them and not afraid of rabies. Dont you think your talk and fear of rabies would seem crazy? Please try that as an experiment.

Fishmanpa
13-06-18, 12:41
Those pesky invisible ninja bats are at it again I see :winks:

Positive thoughts

Andrash
13-06-18, 13:05
When I was active before, the people at least worried about REAL diseases such as cancers and ALS and things...Now it is invisible bats and brain eating amoebas...

hanshan
13-06-18, 13:22
I'm wondering if NMP should open a sub-forum purely for rabies anxiety. Would seeing the other people with rabies anxiety bring people to a more reasonable appraisal of reality, or send them further down the rabbit hole?

MyNameIsTerry
13-06-18, 13:28
When I was active before, the people at least worried about REAL diseases such as cancers and ALS and things...Now it is invisible bats and brain eating amoebas...

How are they real? Not having symptoms of cancer is real?

Is HA about a hierarchy of what is more credible? But try asking someone without anxiety about an imagined cancer and see what reply you get. I'm twitching I have ALS. How is that any more likely than the rabies threads?

Not being a HAer likely none of my anxiety could harm or kill me. It doesn't make the fear any less or the impact & severity.

Bigboyuk
13-06-18, 13:37
To Guy4 isn't it really time to seek professional help regarding your anxiety?? This is the ONLY way forward and if it's not dealt with will only get worse. ATB

paranoid-viking
13-06-18, 14:03

Is HA about a hierarchy of what is more credible? But try asking someone without anxiety about an imagined cancer and see what reply you get. I'm twitching I have ALS. How is that any more likely than the rabies threads?

Not being a HAer likely none of my anxiety could harm or kill me. It doesn't make the fear any less or the impact & severity.

On this issue you and me can only agree that we disagree.
Some anxiety is based on real life possibilites and often caused by someone close to you suffer an illness. Very different from this UFO like threads about rabies, brain eating amoebas and bubonic plauge; yeah there is even a thread on that one.:lac:

And yes; I did suffer rabies fear one time and I am 100% firm in saying that this is more laughable insanly riddicilous than fearing cancer and nothing in this world is going to change my mind about than. And brain eating amoebas? Here I am speechless and can only add: NO COMMENT.

Disclaimer: I am not saying that the people who fear rabies and BEA are insane, riddicilous and to be laughed at but their fear is. I was once one of them(not the amoeba of course hell no, but rabies).My fear but not me deseved to be riddiculed for that.

And to close this neverending argument: docotrs do take someone with possible cancer symptoms seriously; but they never ever take worries of brain eating nonsense seriously. Nuff said. End of discussion.

PS! I am not fearing cancer at the moment. But cancer is real, these other thing are not.

---------- Post added at 15:03 ---------- Previous post was at 14:57 ----------

I'm wondering if NMP should open a sub-forum purely for rabies anxiety. Would seeing the other people with rabies anxiety bring people to a more reasonable appraisal of reality, or send them further down the rabbit hole?

Hmm....yeah that could be. A forum where people could post fear of things like rabies, brain eating amoebas, bubonic plague, leprosy and other completely outlandish fears. Could be called The Twilight Zone. For those of you claiming I dont understand such fears; I had rabies anxiety back in 2003 and it IS completely outlandish and beyond to walk around fearing such stuff.

MyNameIsTerry
13-06-18, 14:09
On this issue you and me can only agree that we disagree.
Some anxiety is based on real life possibilites and often caused by someone close to you suffer an illness. Very different from this UFO like threads about rabies, brain eating amoebas and bubonic plauge; yeah there is even a thread on that one.:lac:

And yes; I did suffer rabies fear one time and I am 100% firm in saying that this is more laughable insanly riddicilous than fearing cancer and nothing in this world is going to change my mind about than. And brain eating amoebas? Here I am speechless and can only add: NO COMMENT.

Disclaimer: I am not saying that the people who fear rabies and BEA are insane, riddicilous and to be laughed at but their fear is. I was once one of them(not the amoeba of course hell no, but rabies).My fear but not me deseved to be riddiculed for that.

And to close this neverending argument: docotrs do take someone with possible cancer symptoms seriously; but they never ever take worries of brain eating nonsense seriously. Nuff said. End of discussion.

PS! I am not fearing cancer at the moment. But cancer is real, these other thing are not.

Having a headache and fearing it is a brain tumour is more credible than these threads? Do you seriously think any doctor entertains many of the symptoms talked about on here?

You might as well fear being run over by a lorry on the moon.

The problem with this argument of cancer being real in terms of you getting it is that it creates a stigma within the anxiety community. It sends a message that one person's fear is to be taken more seriously than another. But no doctor is going to agree with that and they certainly don't base their assessments of our mental health on it either as can be seen by the distinct lack of them saying otherwise. Only some HAers think otherwise.

Like I said, probably none of my fears could kill or harm me. But to a doctor it won't be classed as less than someone fearing cancer...an imaginary cancer that is, not a real cancer hence just an invisible flying cancer bat.

paranoid-viking
13-06-18, 14:14
Having a headache and fearing it is a brain tumour is more credible than these threads? Do you seriously think any doctor entertains many of the symptoms talked about on here?

You might as well fear being run over by a lorry on the moon.

The problem with this argument of cancer being real in terms of you getting it is that it creates a stigma within the anxiety community. It sends a message that one person's fear is to be taken more seriously than another. But no doctor is going to agree with that and they certainly don't base their assessments of our mental health on it either as can be seen by the distinct lack of them saying otherwise. Only some HAers think otherwise.

Like I said, probably none of my fears could kill or harm me. But to a doctor it won't be classed as less than someone fearing cancer...an imaginary cancer that is, not a real cancer hence just an invisible flying cancer bat.

No, it is not a stigma; come on. It is common sense. Fearing rabies is riddicilous; I was there and it was riddicilous. Period. I still disagree with you.
Of course a fear of cancer is to be taken more seriously if you get jaundice; constant light stool, unexplained weight loss than someone who thinks yoiu will die the next day by an amoeba for getting clean tap water up your nose!!!!!!!! Please dont tell me that a doctor is not taking such things seriously even oof it turns out not to be cancer. Of course I take such fear more seriously than brain eating bugs. I dont need to defend myself for saying so. That is how it is. It is not stigma, it is facts!
I am not going to agree with you on this no matter what you write.

MyNameIsTerry
13-06-18, 14:23
No, it is not a stigma; come on. It is common sense. Fearing rabies is riddicilous; I was there and it was riddicilous. Period. I still disagree with you.
Of course a fear of cancer is to be taken more seriously if you get jaundice; constant light stool, unexplained weight loss than someone who thinks yoiu will die the next day by an amoeba for getting clean tap water up your nose!!!!!!!! Please dont tell me that a doctor is not taking such things seriously even oof it turns out not to be cancer. Of course I take such fear more seriously than brain eating bugs. I dont need to defend myself for saying so. That is how it is. It is not stigma, it is facts!
I am not going to agree with you on this no matter what you write.

I was replying to Andrash, you decided to engage in this discussion with me so I responded.

I notice you just shifted the goal posts. It is quite telling the distinct lack of threads threads that end with a cancer diagnosis and how many doctors don't even test based on presenting symptoms.

Many threads on here are not reflective of actual cancer symptoms and many of us are responding saying this.

Sadly it does create stigma. You get a group of "I'm more credible" people (thankfully not seen much as most people are open minded about anxiety) who can't seem to see that someone's "lesser credible" fear can create anxiety in them that is more severe.

There is also the matter of the non anxious. They get symptoms like others on here yet why aren't they terrified of cancer? Why do they go to their doctor and come away with tests, some concerns, and get on with their lives? What do you think they say to people worrying about a brain tumour because they woke up with a headache?

Bigboyuk
13-06-18, 14:50
That's the thing with HA it often convinces the people that have HA the absolute impossible scenarios like Parinoid Viking said but no one deserves to be ridiculed for thinking like that instead a gentle nudge in the right direction to seek help is the way forward. While I don't have HA (if I ever did get it I would be seeking help straight away what ever it takes :) ) I understand the mechanics behind it and the cycles that keeps the fire going. ATB

Andrash
13-06-18, 17:25

You did not get what I wanted to say. I did not mean real as in people who have HA actually have cancer or whatever, I meant real as in there is a fair chance it can happen in life.

On the other hand, naegleriasis or rabies do not happen, or happen so rarely and in such an unique, weird set of circumstances that fearing these is much, much more irrational than fearing "usual" diseases like cancers, heart attacks etc.

paranoid-viking
13-06-18, 17:49
You did not get what I wanted to say. I did not mean real as in people who have HA actually have cancer or whatever, I meant real as in there is a fair chance it can happen in life.

On the other hand, naegleriasis or rabies do not happen, or happen so rarely and in such an unique, weird set of circumstances that fearing these is much, much more irrational than fearing "usual" diseases like cancers, heart attacks etc.

AMEN TO THAT

I completely agree to every word you say here.

Maybe there is a misunderstanding here. MNT writes about stigma. I am not looking down on those who fear rabies and BEA. I feel really sorry for them because they are wasting such wonderful time of their life on such nonsense.

Bigboyuk
13-06-18, 18:40
AMEN TO THAT

I completely agree to every word you say here.

Maybe there is a misunderstanding here. MNT writes about stigma. I am not looking down on those who fear rabies and BEA. I feel really sorry for them because they are wasting such wonderful time of their life on such nonsense. Exactly we only get one shot of life so best make the most of it:yesyes: ATB

Scass
13-06-18, 18:58
Anxiety is Anxiety is Anxiety. As much as it’s easy to occasionally snigger over something you find insignificant, my fear is as relevant at the time as your fear.

So it’s easy for me to say - no it wasn’t a bat bite, stop bothering your doctor & relax a bit. But if the OP sniggered at my anxieties I would be crushed.

So that’s how I think about it. Treat everyone how you’d like to be treated. Occasionally it’s exasperating. And of course occasionally I understand that someone can be exasperated with me too.

I think I’ve lost my point...

It wasn’t a bat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nomorepanic
13-06-18, 19:03
I believe you can get a rabies shot/injection? If so why don't those that fear getting it have the injection or am I totally wrong here?

Fishmanpa
13-06-18, 19:14
I believe you can get a rabies shot/injection? If so why don't those that fear getting it have the injection or am I totally wrong here?

Well... it's only to be used where there is a risk for exposure and it's a series of shots that run in the neighborhood of $3K, and from what I read, they HURT! Due to those reasons, it's not as easy or readily given like a flu shot would be.

Positive thoughts

Cuckoo8
13-06-18, 19:20
Well... it's only to be used where there is a risk for exposure and it's a series of shots that run in the neighborhood of $3K, and from what I read, they HURT! Due to those reasons, it's not as easy or readily given like a flu shot would be.

Positive thoughts

Yes, those are the reasons they only vaccinate vets, some scientists and regular people with actual proven rabies exposure.

Bigboyuk
13-06-18, 19:21
I believe you can get a rabies shot/injection? If so why don't those that fear getting it have the injection or am I totally wrong here? Yes that's correct and there's a been a few threads here like that I think in one case it was 3 weeks after the aledged bite but they still went ahead with it. So not sure why. ATB

MyNameIsTerry
13-06-18, 20:16

You clipped my post to suit this response.

I understand that point.

The chances of getting cancer when you have no cancer symptoms are nil. Given the vast majority on here who haven't been diagnosed then the symptoms weren't indicative of cancer.

---------- Post added at 20:13 ---------- Previous post was at 20:03 ----------

That's just a reassurance test though and keeping the importance of the fear going. Compulsion.

I would seriously question any doctor giving one and whether it's ethical.

---------- Post added at 20:16 ---------- Previous post was at 20:13 ----------

Anxiety is Anxiety is Anxiety. As much as it’s easy to occasionally snigger over something you find insignificant, my fear is as relevant at the time as your fear.

So it’s easy for me to say - no it wasn’t a bat bite, stop bothering your doctor & relax a bit. But if the OP sniggered at my anxieties I would be crushed.

So that’s how I think about it. Treat everyone how you’d like to be treated. Occasionally it’s exasperating. And of course occasionally I understand that someone can be exasperated with me too.

I think I’ve lost my point...

It wasn’t a bat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree.

People complain the non anxious treat their anxieties as trivial yet within the anxiety community the same occurs.

paranoid-viking
13-06-18, 22:57
[/COLOR]

I agree.

People complain the non anxious treat their anxieties as trivial yet within the anxiety community the same occurs.

I am not saying it is trivial. Extreme anxiety is a disorder and it need to be taken seriously. Not the imaginary disease of course but the anxiety in itself as it is seriously damaging to the life quality on the sufferer. No one should walk around fearing cancer all the time of course, but sometimes there is a strong reason why people fear it. After alll; all of us have at least 25% chance of getting cancer one time in life. The chances of getting brain eating amoeba is.....well it is zero.

Fishmanpa
13-06-18, 23:29
I am not saying it is trivial. Extreme anxiety is a disorder and it need to be taken seriously. Not the imaginary disease of course but the anxiety in itself as it is seriously damaging to the life quality on the sufferer. No one should walk around fearing cancer all the time of course, but sometimes there is a strong reason why people fear it. After alll; all of us have at least 25% chance of getting cancer one time in life. The chances of getting brain eating amoeba is.....well it is zero.

That's a good point. That being said, it all comes down to how you accept uncertainty. Just because getting cancer is a 1 in 4 in a lifetime and statistically, getting the brain eating amoeba is as close to 0 as one could possibly get ever, ever, ever, ever... it still comes down to that niggle of uncertainty, statistically valid or not, over whatever the fear is. I certainly never thought I'd have the health issues I faced. I can tell you 1st hand that the thought comes to mind when the angina acts up and I'm thinking heart attack or my neck and throat are screaming and I'm thinking... uh oh... And my chances statistically of something being wrong are pretty high! BUT.... those moments are fleeting and don't control my life. I'm rarely if ever on the cancer forum unless I get a message and I've not been on the heart forum I was part of for over 5 years now.

The bottom line to me is knowing that I have no control over my fate. Nor do you. You can make the most profound decision in your life and be in a car wreck the next day. So whether it's the big C, a heart attack or you make it into the record books by getting a brain eating amoeba or bit by an invisible bat, it's about enjoying the time you do have because let me tell you, the worst regrets you have in life are not the things you did, but the things you didn't do due to fear.

Positive thoughts

Andrash
14-06-18, 07:06
You clipped my post to suit this response.

I responded to the part that interested me and was relevant to the point I wanted to make.