PDA

View Full Version : Worried about this wound of mine that looks like a bite

Bubbletea
14-06-18, 16:47
So hi I'm pretty much new to this forums and seeing how there are people like me who are also anxious about their health gives me a sense of tiny relief knowing that I'm not alone.
But anyways, I've been worrying for the past 5 days because you see, I had a scab on my right leg that looks like a bite mark.. now I dont recall any animal biting me while I was awake so I was thinking it might be an insect or something.From what I remember, I kept itching that spot over the past few days before I even notice the scabs, but I got worried because what if a bat or rat bit me while I was asleep?
I consulted a doctor about it and told me it looks like a rat/cockroach bite and prescribed me some medicine and ointment, but I'm still not convinced because I searched dr. google what those bites look like and it looks nothing closer to mine, so what i am worrying about is rabies :weep: unfortunately bats are not really common around my area and dogs/cats are the more common source of rabies here, but I'm still worried.
Here's what the "bite" looks like:
https://i.imgur.com/3LOzrDL_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

What I really hate about myself is how im very forgetful so I cant really remember where and when I exactly got this so called wound...
I need some 2nd opinion from you guys cuz seriously its affecting my anxiety and depression so bad.

Fishmanpa
14-06-18, 16:50
I kept itching that spot over the past few days before I even notice the scabs

There's the answer. You had a persistent itch and scratched it hard enough to cause the wound. Mystery solved. No invisible rats or bats :winks:

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
14-06-18, 16:57
I would be going with the doctor's diagnosis of a bite and following his/her recommended course of treatment.

Given your bat population and indigenous rabies your doctors will be adept at looking out for possible bites that need treatment.

paranoid-viking
14-06-18, 16:58
Oh dear. As if invisible bats were not enough; now we have invisible rats too. Someone suggested a sub-forum for rabies fear. Well, I think the moderators should open a rabies thread where everyone who fears rabies can post their fear. Maybe they THEN will realise how irrational this is. Or maybe not.

OP - stop.googling.rabies.NOW!

utrocket09
14-06-18, 17:05
There is no way anything would have biten you that hard for you not to notice.

.Poppy.
14-06-18, 17:58
It looks to me like a bug bite you scratched too hard and it has now scabbed over.

I've had this happen, oh, hundreds of times. My scabs always look EXACTLY like that.

Bubbletea
15-06-18, 06:54
Thanks for the replies guys
I went to another doctor today and thankfully the consultation is free. I showed her the scabs and since the common source of rabies here is dogs & cats, I wouldn't worry about it and bats are rare here in my country except in the provinces. The only thing she pointed out is it could be a possible rat bite or an itch that turned into a scab.
Being an anxious person, my mind drifted off from "bat bite" to "rat bite" and instead of worrying about rabies, it turned into leptospirosis (it's crazy I know)
I don't want to believe my crazy thoughts but sometimes it gets me... Because for the past few days it had been raining hard and I went outside to buy some stuffs wearing only flip-flops. I'm more worried what if I stepped on a contaminated puddle and it got into my scabs :weep:
I never told my friends and family about this because they'll see me as a paranoid person and they'll just laugh it off

Bubbletea
17-06-18, 06:21
Update: I asked our neighbors who lives near if they've seen any bats flying/prowling these days and bad news, they said yes (just when I thought bats are pretty rare in the city)... And now my anxiety rose up again!
I usually sleep with the curtains open so I'm very very worried what if a bat bit me while I was asleep? Also my uncle (who lives with us) caught a bat in our home but that was way back in 2011
It's still day 0 of my shots cuz I haven't got any yet
Ps: my family doesn't believe me :(

Scass
17-06-18, 07:28
I’m sorry that this is still bothering you. And that you don’t have support from your family.
Do you have support from anyone about your anxiety? Because as much as this forum is supportive to your concerns, it is also all about anxiety. Have you had any help for anxiety before? Do you need some?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wilky44
17-06-18, 10:48
You don't need shots. You need help for HA. Your family doesn't believe you as there's nothing for them to believe. Bats don't swoop in, bite, and then leave.

venusbluejeans
17-06-18, 11:45
You don't need shots. You need help for HA. Your family doesn't believe you as there's nothing for them to believe. Bats don't swoop in, bite, and then leave.

^^^^^^^ that

and your picture looks really quite healthy to me, no redness just healing scabs.... your body is doing exactly what your body is meant to do

Bubbletea
17-06-18, 14:01

What's HA?

Well after telling my family and showing them the scabs that I have, my dad asked me if I want a checkup with a psychologist (I think I'm losing it)
After finding out that our area is surrounded with bats, I am now too paranoid to go out at night and also worried about sleeping with the windows open

What are the symptoms of a bat bite anyway? Here in the Philippines, you don't hear much about bat rabies cases especially in the city (it's mostly dogs & cats)... But that doesn't mean it's not possible

Fishmanpa
17-06-18, 14:18
What's HA?

What is the name of the sub-forum you're posting on? I would definitely take your dad up on the offer.

Positive thoughts

Bubbletea
21-06-18, 16:26
^^^^^^^ that

and your picture looks really quite healthy to me, no redness just healing scabs.... your body is doing exactly what your body is meant to do

Yeah I'm very much aware that injuries turns to scab because the skin is healing... But I am more concerned about where the "bite" came from (what bit me) and/or are there any possibilities that it is not an animal/insect bite?

Fishmanpa
21-06-18, 16:31
But I am more concerned about where the "bite" came from (what bit me) and/or are there any possibilities that it is not an animal/insect bite?

I kept itching that spot over the past few days before I even notice the scabs

There's the answer. You had a persistent itch (doesn't matter why) and scratched it hard enough to cause the wound. Mystery solved. No invisible rats or bats :lac:

Positive thoughts

martingalindo
24-02-20, 00:13
U fellow still alive?
i have some question about this too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskDoctorSmeeee/comments/f515x2/is_this_ingrown_hair_a_bite_or_some_irritation/

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskDocs/comments/f53q30/should_i_fear_rabies/

venusbluejeans
24-02-20, 01:11
This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Emmz

venusbluejeans
24-02-20, 01:13
U fellow still alive?
i have some question about this too.

It looks like a pimple... nothing sinister