PDA

View Full Version : Symptoms - no feelings?

chris-t-o
27-07-07, 04:02
Right. I've been on antidepressants (Cipralex) for close to a month now. This is mostly a rant, but I don't know if it should be this way.

The past few days I haven't been able to sleep much, because this really freaks me out. I used to oversleep before, now I just lie awake trying to think - but not getting anywhere. I'm not feeling anything at all. I used to have problems connecting to things before, but I used to be very easily touched by anything around me, that has disappeared. I feel totally unable to express feelings towards anyone. And if I had an SO, I wouldn't know if I felt love. Brilliant!

I can smile and laugh, but I'm not happy. I can be tired and saddened, but not really depressed. And I'm still stressed and anxious. This better fix itself, feeling the full extent of depression and anxiety at least made me feel like I existed.

Ellen70
27-07-07, 04:48
Hi Chris, I really empathise with you. This 'numb' feeling is such a common side effect from many anti depressants yet it is never listed as a side effect. As a first timer on anti depressants you would be more in tune with this 'can't connect' feeling than long term users of anti depressants like myself.
Since you only have been on the anti depressant a month is is a little early to write it off. Sometimes it can take 10-12 weeks before a side effect will disappear. It all depends on what you are prepared to put up with yourself.
I had the same feelings (or 'no' feelings) as you when I took Effexor. I could just stare into space all day and nothing that happened 'reached' me. It didn't wear off for me and so I had to change to another anti depressant.
I have been taking anti deps now for nearly 20 years and none I take do anything for me. I have reached the stage where it is a waste of time to take any anti depressant. The thing that scares me the most about not being on an anti depressant after all of these years is that my emotions are going to come back. I mean the real human emotions that 'normal' people feel - I haven't felt excitement or anger or love for years. The one that scares me the most is having a libido again :blush: , I have been like a robot in that area for years.

I have wandered off the track now Chris but do keep an eye on the numbness of emotions side effect because if you stay on an anti dep for a long time and this side effect continues, then you will foget what not feeling numb was like and having no feelings will become normal to you - and you do NOT want that.

Good luck and I hope this prob clears up soon,

Ellen

chris-t-o
27-07-07, 05:03
Thank you.

I really hope that effect wears off, but if not, I'll have to stop using them (as you said, I don't want to forget what having feelings feels like). I was aware that this could happen, but not how I'd react to it - I'm confused, somewhat angry and anxious about what's happening to me. You might say I'm overreacting, but who in here does not know about overreacting to things...

But - the point of antidepressants is aiding towards recovery. Does anyone have experience with recovery without? Everyone's situation is different, but as I mentioned, I'd rather feel depressed with the occasional happy times than not feeling anything at all, especially when it has yet to help on the anxiety (disclaimer: that might be the brain without feelings talking, I might regret that if I would quit using the antidepressants...).

Shedding tears over any somewhat emotional scene in a soap opera on TV might make me look stupid, but at least it's better than being a zombie. :)

Anyway. I'm giving it some more time, probably through august.

Chris

nomorepanic
27-07-07, 20:44
But - the point of antidepressants is aiding towards recovery. Does anyone have experience with recovery without?
Chris

Chris

I have recovered without meds - CBT and breathing and relaxation and positive thinking and JFDI lol

So it can be done!

nomorepanic
27-07-07, 20:50
Try these as well...

Is Recovery possible
100% recovered?? (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3368)
total cure? (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3832)
home truths (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2398)
why me. this ruins my life. (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4957)
How do you know when you're cured? (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5673)

Kroko
02-08-07, 20:09
Every anti-depressant I've been on has taken the edge off of my emotions. My current meds do it too. I remember some years ago as I was switching meds and the new one hadn't really kicked in yet, for a small time I FELT for the first time in years, yet without much anxiety. It was like waking up from a trance. I watched a movie and it was so wonderful to feel the sadness, the joy, the positive excitement, everything. I've gotten so used to not feeling that I sadly don't give it much thought. If only I could constantly feel fully without constant anxiety, panic and depression...

PaulaRubyLove
02-08-07, 21:20
This happened to me too! I'm normally a very very emotional person, which I don't mind, but on anti-depressants, I didn't cry at all for about a month. I ended up going off the pills because they gave me a bunch of side effects, this included. So I really don't have any advice, but you're not alone.

wombat
02-08-07, 21:43
Hi there,
I can relate to exactly what you are saying.I started on Lustral about 2 days ago and was like you i could sleep all the time....but now i lie in bed and it's if i feel really really tired but just can't nod off to sleep...and it drives you bonkers dosen't it.
I think the other thing to remember is how you felt before you started taking the meds.I for one wasn't coping very well at all and they have made me more relaxed so i'm going to see how i get on with these and try them for at least 7 months.
I've tried loads over the years like citalopram,anafranil,effexor,amitryline,promazine, propranolol,diazepam and they all make you feel like a zombie don't they.
My advice is stick with them and hopefully the side effects will lessen over time.
Good Luck,
Wombat.