PDA

View Full Version : Fear of brain eating amoeba

HelloPanda23
18-06-18, 04:36
So, I'm nearly 100% sure this fear is super irrational, but it'd like to make sure of it once and for all. This Tuesday, or 5 days ago, I was swimming in my pool and I ended up snorting a tiny bit of water by accident. My pool is chlorinated, but I don't know what levels it is at, and it also is salt water. I will make sure with my parents and ask them the levels of chlorine in the water to completely relax over this stupid fear. This fear began today, and I have had no symptoms of this disease, but I was looking through these forums and I thought, "I'm honestly getting tired of this ALS fear and so let's see if focusing my fear on something else will completely redirect me away from this ALS nonsense." If it did, then that would mean that I truly do have HA and that I'm just indulging myself with stupid fears. I'd previously assumed I'd never fear any other disease other than ALS, and so that must mean I truly will get ALS in the future. After looking in the forums, of course, the one disease I see is brain eating amoeba, and after reading about how someone gets it, I could find myself relating with that. I read a bit more and apparently, this bacteria can't live in chlorinated or salt water pools. Since mine is both, then I logically can't get it. I relax and I'm like, see? Your fear redirected to brain eating amoeba because you have HA and nothing else, and so I go on with my day without fear at all. Then, my mind constantly starts thinking about this brain eating amoeba, and so I research and research, and bam, back to the same HA loop that got me into my ALS fears in the first place. Only difference is, I fear brain eating amoeba more than I fear ALS, and so I'm kind of stuck. Any help, advice? Please!

jray23
18-06-18, 05:08
Yes. Stop Googling. It's like rule #1 for us HA peeps!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

paranoid-viking
18-06-18, 10:01
You are right. People here gets influenced by each other. When I first saw this post I was thinking GOSH, NOT ANOTHER ONE. But I see it is a reflection of this, sorry the expression, crazyness. Thsi June has seen a record on posts about brain eating amoebas. It is now more posts about BEA on NMP than there have been cases of this in the entire history of mankind.

Bigboyuk
18-06-18, 10:14
Hi I think you have answered your own question As you switch between ALS and BEA fears, and you have serious HA and that's irrespective of what physical conditions you presume you have (which you haven't) How long have you been using the pool for now? And as another poster rightly says Dr Google is a no no for HA'ers and will not help you one bit. You fears on both counts are 100% irrational time to get help for your HA :) ATB

paranoid-viking
18-06-18, 10:23
Hi I think you have answered your own question As you switch between ALS and BEA fears, and you have serious HA and that's irrespective of what physical conditions you presume you have (which you haven't) How long have you been using the pool for now? And as another poster rightly says Dr Google is a no no for HA'ers and will not help you one bit. You fears on both counts are 100% irrational time to get help for your HA :) ATB

But I must say; there has never been this many BEA amoeba post in the history of this forum as it has been the last months. Someone blame stories in the US media in the summer but; hey; it cant be that much coverage of such sub-mariginal phenonomens; I dont believe it. I believe more that it is a snowball effect; that people get triggered by other posters HERE. On THIS forum. You see; hypocondriacs coming here for support of their fear, then they read a post about something they never heard of(seriously, WHO heard of brain eating amoebas?),do the "forbidden" thing, doo a google search....and BINGO...now they are convinced they have it too because they got water up their nose last time they showered or something.

Bigboyuk
18-06-18, 11:57
But I must say; there has never been this many BEA amoeba post in the history of this forum as it has been the last months. Someone blame stories in the US media in the summer but; hey; it cant be that much coverage of such sub-mariginal phenonomens; I dont believe it. I believe more that it is a snowball effect; that people get triggered by other posters HERE. On THIS forum. You see; hypocondriacs coming here for support of their fear, then they read a post about something they never heard of(seriously, WHO heard of brain eating amoebas?),do the "forbidden" thing, doo a google search....and BINGO...now they are convinced they have it too because they got water up their nose last time they showered or something. You Are absolutely correct on this there has been a huge rise in this phenonomen on here in recent months so to some members they can see a rise in this and think hell this is me too I must have BEA, and people who join here cause they have had water up their nose from either a swimming pool or shower head are definitely triggered by other members posts And Dr Google is huge trigger too which only feeds the cycle many times over. Yet the truth behind it is it's extremely rare just like rocking horse poop go figure:whistles: thx for your comments :) ATB

MyNameIsTerry
18-06-18, 12:28
But I must say; there has never been this many BEA amoeba post in the history of this forum as it has been the last months. Someone blame stories in the US media in the summer but; hey; it cant be that much coverage of such sub-mariginal phenonomens; I dont believe it. I believe more that it is a snowball effect; that people get triggered by other posters HERE. On THIS forum. You see; hypocondriacs coming here for support of their fear, then they read a post about something they never heard of(seriously, WHO heard of brain eating amoebas?),do the "forbidden" thing, doo a google search....and BINGO...now they are convinced they have it too because they got water up their nose last time they showered or something.

But this is a UK forum and look how the members raising this all seem to be in the US. Why not UK members?

That tells me it's not about NMP.

Bigboyuk
18-06-18, 12:38
But this is a UK forum and look how the members raising this all seem to be in the US. Why not UK members?

That tells me it's not about NMP. True but saying that, isn't that where most of the very rare cases come from in the USA? Not sure why no uk members have joined this forum re BEA from the uk guess there's never been a single case of a uk person contracting the illness ever. That's the only reason I can think of. ATB

Scass
18-06-18, 12:42
[QUOTE=Thsi June has seen a record on posts about brain eating amoebas. It is now more posts about BEA on NMP than there have been cases of this in the entire history of mankind.[/QUOTE]

That really made me chuckle. But then it made me think. There must be something in the news in whichever country the fears are coming from maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MyNameIsTerry
18-06-18, 12:58
True but saying that, isn't that where most of the very rare cases come from in the USA? Not sure why no uk members have joined this forum re BEA from the uk guess there's never been a single case of a uk person contracting the illness ever. That's the only reason I can think of. ATB

Yeah but fear doesn't always work like that. Look how many rabies posts we've had for the UK and it's very rare here.

It would seem logical to suggest it's more likely for Americans but if you look at the history of these threads they are rare before this year so whilst it might look like a snowball effect now how did it start when you could barely find a thread about it? And if you Google this my money is many sites popping up a long time before NMP in the results.

It points to an external factor for me. New people coming here after they've read it elsewhere.

And why no other countries? That's another reason I think it's more likely a media thing e.g. articles about swimming in lakes and amoebas in traditional Daily Mail fashion. Maybe our American members can tell us?

Bigboyuk
18-06-18, 13:25
Yeah but fear doesn't always work like that. Look how many rabies posts we've had for the UK and it's very rare here.

It would seem logical to suggest it's more likely for Americans but if you look at the history of these threads they are rare before this year so whilst it might look like a snowball effect now how did it start when you could barely find a thread about it? And if you Google this my money is many sites popping up a long time before NMP in the results.

It points to an external factor for me. New people coming here after they've read it elsewhere.

And why no other countries? That's another reason I think it's more likely a media thing e.g. articles about swimming in lakes and amoebas in traditional Daily Mail fashion. Maybe our American members can tell us? True I was going to say exactly what you have said it's external coverage which would include SM sites and Google is bound to have not helped one bit then they see search results and bang NMP has quite a few threads on this very problem. Yes would be interesting to see what our American members have to say on this. ATB

paranoid-viking
18-06-18, 13:34

That tells me it's not about NMP.

Not entirely true. Yes, the majority of BEA posters are Americans. But there have been at least two posters on this from Europe, including one from Denmark who seriously believed that brain eating amoebas exists in swimming pools. In SWIMMING POOLS! IN DENMARK! Which tells a lot how little HA has to do with knowledge and rationality.

jray23
18-06-18, 13:49
I'm from Chicago USA, I had never heard of this thing until being on here. The first few times I thought it was troll posting! That being said I don't watch the news, almost ever, in recent years.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

MyNameIsTerry
18-06-18, 13:52
True I was going to say exactly what you have said it's external coverage which would include SM sites and Google is bound to have not helped one bit then they see search results and bang NMP has quite a few threads on this very problem. Yes would be interesting to see what our American members have to say on this. ATB

There's a current report circulating about finding this at one place in the US that started 4 days ago. Not sure before that.

Bigboyuk
18-06-18, 13:55
I have been looking at similar threads at the bottom of this thread and they are all from 2018 and from Feb to June so only a matter of 4 months ATB

---------- Post added at 13:55 ---------- Previous post was at 13:54 ----------

There's a current report circulating about finding this at one place in the US that started 4 days ago. Not sure before that. Was this a news or SM report Terry? Any link to share? ATB

MyNameIsTerry
18-06-18, 14:00
Not entirely true. Yes, the majority of BEA posters are Americans. But there have been at least two posters on this from Europe, including one from Denmark who seriously believed that brain eating amoebas exists in swimming pools. In SWIMMING POOLS! IN DENMARK! Which tells a lot how little HA has to do with knowledge and rationality.

But why mostly Americans is my question? There are far more UK members and not one has raised this from what I can see. It's more a US thing but spikes like this are often media driven so I'm wary of saying it's about NMP.

I can remember 1 from Denmark and you posting on it now you mention it. Like you say - in swimming pools - which won't happen with treated water.

Maybe a bit of both but it doesn't work that it's NMP for new members if they aren't watchers who sign up.

---------- Post added at 14:00 ---------- Previous post was at 13:57 ----------

I have been looking at similar threads at the bottom of this thread and they are all from 2018 and from Feb to June so only a matter of 4 months ATB

---------- Post added at 13:55 ---------- Previous post was at 13:54 ----------

Was this a news or SM report Terry? Any link to share? ATB

When I did a search it showed that spike compared to a few cases in 2017 and not much before then.

I'm not going to link on here, Dave. It's found very easily via Google though and the Daily Mail have picked it up. It doesn't explain the rest before though.

More than one factor is in play. It's a summer bug and I wonder what "health advice" may be popping up in the US that we wouldn't see.

There's plenty I never heard of until I joined this place. NMP is definitely a knowledge base for stuff you won't have heard before and that's not good for HAers but that's just forums for you.

Same said here by NervUs who's been through it:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=218569&page=2

We see some impossible scenarios on here where facts don't even come into it but it's interesting with this one that we haven't seen one in the UK, given the site being more of us, even though the conditions are likely not right given how things just stick with some regardless of logic.

HelloPanda23
18-06-18, 15:21
To be fair, my fear did start after reading a post about someone who snorted water from a pool as well, and so now I got the same fear as well. At first, when I read it, I wasn't afraid or anything, but after reading about this BEA, I started to fear it a lot, and so in HA, no matter how much logic is applied to a situation, if the fear is stronger, it'll always end up winning. That's why I freaked out so badly after learning about this terrible disease and thinking that it could affect me. Since yesterday, I've been taking this more calmly, but I still feel like the fear will go on throughout this week (because it takes 2-15 days for symptoms to appear and it's only been 6 days for me).

Bigboyuk
18-06-18, 16:50
To be fair, my fear did start after reading a post about someone who snorted water from a pool as well, and so now I got the same fear as well. At first, when I read it, I wasn't afraid or anything, but after reading about this BEA, I started to fear it a lot, and so in HA, no matter how much logic is applied to a situation, if the fear is stronger, it'll always end up winning. That's why I freaked out so badly after learning about this terrible disease and thinking that it could affect me. Since yesterday, I've been taking this more calmly, but I still feel like the fear will go on throughout this week (because it takes 2-15 days for symptoms to appear and it's only been 6 days for me).Yes but also to be fair this the (your) HA telling you through news and SM sites, Dr Google it feeds the dragon, I guarantee you haven't got BEA and could lay all my savings on this, so basically it's down to treating one's HA this is the real cause, does this make sense to you?ATB

HelloPanda23
19-06-18, 00:19
Yes but also to be fair this the (your) HA telling you through news and SM sites, Dr Google it feeds the dragon, I guarantee you haven't got BEA and could lay all my savings on this, so basically it's down to treating one's HA this is the real cause, does this make sense to you?ATB

I know. I'm just scared and that's all. If I'm alive by the end of this week, I'm going to dismiss my fear of this disease. Especially since it's impossible for me to get this disease from a pool that is salt water and chloronated, at a temp of 86.

Fishmanpa
19-06-18, 00:43
If I'm alive by the end of this week, I'm going to dismiss my fear of this disease. Especially since it's impossible for me to get this disease from a pool that is salt water and chloronated, at a temp of 86.

So knowing it's impossible, why not dismiss it now? Respectfully, it's ludicrous to allow yourself to torture yourself for the rest of the week knowing what you know. Unless you like feeling like poo... :shades:

Positive thoughts

HelloPanda23
19-06-18, 01:01
So knowing it's impossible, why not dismiss it now? Respectfully, it's ludicrous to allow yourself to torture yourself for the rest of the week knowing what you know. Unless you like feeling like poo... :shades:

Positive thoughts

It just sucks, I know I don't have it or will get it, but I'm super scared that it will randomly happen throughout this week.

---------- Post added 19-06-18 at 00:01 ---------- Previous post was 18-06-18 at 23:53 ----------

This is how my anxiety seems to work. I won't know too well but I've had HA for 3 months and so, from what I've seen, I fear any disease I read about. Regardless of all logic applied, I think the worst and assume that I will get the negative affects of a disease even if I have no chance whatsoever. I swam in the same pool for 6-10 hrs daily 2 years ago, in a weather of 95-100+ degrees daily and so did my family members, and guess what? Absolutely nothing happend. Why would something happen now, especially since it was 86 degrees and my pool has a mix of chlorine and salt in it? This stupid bacteria can't live in salt water, which is also why I shouldn't be afraid to the slightest. Obviously, I still feel like I have to stay on alert and worry about this stupid disease, and even applying all the logic in the world won't help me atm. This is the 2nd day this fear is ongoing, but I think it's much better than yesterday. That's why i've simply set myself a week, and if nothing happens, I'll hopefully move on.

Bigboyuk
19-06-18, 10:50
I know. I'm just scared and that's all. If I'm alive by the end of this week, I'm going to dismiss my fear of this disease. Especially since it's impossible for me to get this disease from a pool that is salt water and chloronated, at a temp of 86.What do you mean IF you are alive by the end of the week, gee isn't it time to get your HA addressed once this worry is dismissed another one will takes it's place not a good situation to be in. You already logically worked out 3 things in the pool which tells you, you don't have BEA temp wise water correct, Chlorine present in the water correct. Salt in the water, correct so you can safely dismiss the fear completely like FMP says you are torturing you self for no valid reason. ATB

HelloPanda23
19-06-18, 16:14
What do you mean IF you are alive by the end of the week, gee isn't it time to get your HA addressed once this worry is dismissed another one will takes it's place not a good situation to be in. You already logically worked out 3 things in the pool which tells you, you don't have BEA temp wise water correct, Chlorine present in the water correct. Salt in the water, correct so you can safely dismiss the fear completely like FMP says you are torturing you self for no valid reason. ATB
Ik, but it honestly isn't that easy. I for a fact know I don't have this fatal disease but my anxiety sometimes makes me think otherwise. Regardless of all the logic I've shown it, it doesn't let go. Either way, it's been a full week since I snorted in the water. If I die, it's going to be in between these few days. That's why i'm on alert, if nothing happens, I'll move on with my life without researching about other diseases to revert to a different fear.

Bigboyuk
19-06-18, 16:58
Ik, but it honestly isn't that easy. I for a fact know I don't have this fatal disease but my anxiety sometimes makes me think otherwise. Regardless of all the logic I've shown it, it doesn't let go. Either way, it's been a full week since I snorted in the water. If I die, it's going to be in between these few days. That's why i'm on alert, if nothing happens, I'll move on with my life without researching about other diseases to revert to a different fear. I never said it was! Yes but logically again you don't need to be on alert, nothing is going to happen you know that, I know that I do doubt you can move on as such why cause HA doesn't go away it will simmer away till another serious health worry comes along and you will be hooked in to the cycle again :eek: That's why you need the tools to help you through HA it's a evil condition to have. To me it makes good sense to have these tools handy. ATVB

Fishmanpa
19-06-18, 17:02
Respectfully, you're a teenager. Do your parents know that you're seeking reassurance on an anxiety website? IMO, as a father with a daughter that suffers from anxiety and depression, real life professional help is warranted.

Positive thoughts

Bigboyuk
19-06-18, 17:18
Respectfully, you're a teenager. Do your parents know that you're seeking reassurance on an anxiety website? IMO, as a father with a daughter that suffers from anxiety and depression, real life professional help is warranted.

Positive thoughts And to add what do the parents think about this, have they offered you moral support and tried to get you help for your HA? ATB

HelloPanda23
19-06-18, 17:59
And to add what do the parents think about this, have they offered you moral support and tried to get you help for your HA? ATB

My mother knows about it and she’s offered me a lot of support, even helped me out with herbals teas, and overall with talking. I’ve gotten a lot of moral support, and I love my mother for that. I’ve considered a therapist and even brought it up to her, she said that if you badly want to go, we can go, but I don’t really think they’ll help you as much as you can help yourself now by getting these terrible thoughts out of your mind. She also occasionally asked me if my fears were gone and if I was doing better, and at the time, I was doing an amazing job. My HA over ALS wasn’t a big deal anymore, but this brain eating aembo is really freaking me out. I’m getting over it though, either way, by the end of this week, I’ll be fine for sure. Idc if I move back onto my ALS fears because ALS doesn’t scare me as much anymore.

Bigboyuk
19-06-18, 18:29
My mother knows about it and she’s offered me a lot of support, even helped me out with herbals teas, and overall with talking. I’ve gotten a lot of moral support, and I love my mother for that. I’ve considered a therapist and even brought it up to her, she said that if you badly want to go, we can go, but I don’t really think they’ll help you as much as you can help yourself now by getting these terrible thoughts out of your mind. She also occasionally asked me if my fears were gone and if I was doing better, and at the time, I was doing an amazing job. My HA over ALS wasn’t a big deal anymore, but this brain eating aembo is really freaking me out. I’m getting over it though, either way, by the end of this week, I’ll be fine for sure. Idc if I move back onto my ALS fears because ALS doesn’t scare me as much anymore. Well this is good news but please don't write off seeing a therapist these people are specially trained to deal with all sort of MH problems, so tell your mum yes I would like to go you never know till you try one. Please consider it! ATB

HelloPanda23
19-06-18, 21:38
Well this is good news but please don't write off seeing a therapist these people are specially trained to deal with all sort of MH problems, so tell your mum yes I would like to go you never know till you try one. Please consider it! ATB

I’ve never been one to make a big deal out of health issues. Until 3 months ago, all I had was anxiety over dying due to a shooting, a car crash, and stuff of that sort. I never really grew onto an agrophobic lifestyle and if anything, I was living without the knowledge that I had anxiety. I was completely normal, and my life took a huge turn when I drank my first redbull and had a panic attack, thinking I was dying. That’s the only reason I have HA now, and so I just got to get back onto my old lifestyle of not really caring too much about my health or disease in general. I don’t know if I need a therapist, and so I’ll just move on with my life for now. I already made huge goals that I accomplished, one of them being not thinking about my ALS fears as much throughout my days. They went well and I never had a single issue until the brain eating amoeba fear came by 2 days ago. I’m already used to the cycle and so I’m going to use the same techniques I’ve learned throughout my terrible anxiety over ALS. Thank you for the concern, though.

Trbfan
01-01-19, 00:05
I was brought to this thread beacause I got water up my nose in the shower, and this fear instantly came to my head. I can shed some light on why so many Americans are posting about it. I remember atleast 4 or 5 seperate occasions in the last 5 years where this issue was pushed on the news for multiple days at a time when it happened to a kid. They would literally have a story about it every newscast for an entire day, sometimes 2-3-4 days. So tons of people heard about it. I can remember a story about it on virtually every channel.

percythetrain
12-01-19, 08:31
I was brought to this thread beacause I got water up my nose in the shower, and this fear instantly came to my head. I can shed some light on why so many Americans are posting about it. I remember atleast 4 or 5 seperate occasions in the last 5 years where this issue was pushed on the news for multiple days at a time when it happened to a kid. They would literally have a story about it every newscast for an entire day, sometimes 2-3-4 days. So tons of people heard about it. I can remember a story about it on virtually every channel.

So true. I was recently shopping online with a tablet and I get this noisy notification, so I stop what I was doing to look and it's a news story (no idea how I got subscribed to those) and needless to say it's about BEA in Washington State on the public water supply, not even in a lake. I was like why did I read that :doh:

ErinKC
12-01-19, 17:42
Yes - I learned about this because of over the top news coverage of it in the US media. Every time it happens it gets press. I know all new is like this, but the US media has an especially strong talent for fear mongering! Just look at our flu coverage from last year!

I just came across flu surveillance numbers for Maryland this year and the cases are SO much less than last year. The only metric that's the same are ER visits since the media scared the crap out of everyone last year.

---------- Post added at 15:42 ---------- Previous post was at 15:36 ----------

I just ran a Google News search and here who of the top results:

Brain-eating amoebas are spreading—and that's just as bad as it sounds

Woman dies after BRAIN-EATING AMOEBA turns brain to 'bloody mush'

:glare: