PDA

View Full Version : Promethazis 1omg

welsh girl
18-06-18, 13:04
I urgently would appreciate advice on Promethazine which was given me today for a bad anxiety weekend,
My problem is that I am worried about taking them as I am allergic to most meds and was very ill for several days after taking tramadol , so question everything I am given now.
I would be so grateful if somebody could tell me if there are any side effects.

sprouts1
18-06-18, 13:54
It's an antihistamine so it's like Benadryl. It's specifically for Allergies, so maybe that will calm your nerves.
If your very concerned worried, you can take Benadryl because it's over the counter and has less side effects, and will still make you relaxed. You can also take half of the amount given to you and see how you react to it.

Side effects (via google):
Drowsiness, dizziness, constipation, blurred vision, or dry mouth may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, tell your doctor. (These are side effects of pretty much everything)

A side note: Tramadol CAN make you sick. I took Vicodin for my wisdom teeth surgery and it made me feel horrible. It is very likely that your anxiety is playing a large part in any reaction you get, because you had a bad experience once. It is most likely very psychosomatic. i.e. I just started Lexapro and people with anxiety have a rep for hating pills and doctors, I had to stare at the pill and cry for 20min before I had the balls to take it.
I've been having side effects, but i'm fine.

welsh girl
18-06-18, 21:38
Thanks sprouts for you reply.
I do hope these work when I pluck up courage to take one.
I went to see my Dr because I felt so awful, and told her that over the weekend I was desperate and took one Diazapan which worked and I was over the moon for about nine hour's, and that was that, she refused to give me some even though I told her I would not take enough to get dependent on them, so she gave me promthazine instead,
I was given Diazapan by another Dr, which I did not use originally , if these have side effects I shall be back to square one,

sprouts1
19-06-18, 03:43
Do you meditate or do yoga? I always suggest to people who have benzo scripts to try to meditate, do deep breathing and calm down as much as possible before taking it.

I have a script for .5mg Ativan. I used to be on it for severe panic attacks but found it was much, much more helpful when I used it ONLY when I could not calm myself down within 15-20min of breathing, or if I actually started to panic. It helped me over come my attacks and I havent had a full panic attack in about three years.

If you want to go the natural route, you can try St. Johns Wart, or 5-HTP. They both help with mood stability for anxiety and depression. I tried 5-HTP with no luck which is why I am now on Lexapro.

Another suggestion to ask your doctor about is Buspar, which is for anxiety but it's not a benzo, so it is not addictive. It does not have the type of side effects or withdrawl as antidepressants.

Good luck :)

welsh girl
19-06-18, 10:03
Thanks again, lot to think about.
May I say, that thirty years ago when I was newly married to someone who sulked etc, I could not understand this type of thing and for the first time in my life I developed extreme anxiety, I was put on Ativan which helped a lot but the Dr forgot to take me off after nine years,
they then had the opposite effect and I was so poorly I had to wean myself off a crumb at a time, it took two years to get it out of my system,
So you can understand why I am very nervous of meds now
Sorry to go on but I just wanted to explain my hesitation , my concern still goes on I'm afraid. Thanks for your advice .