PDA

View Full Version : Melanoma...months to appointment

juju_1
18-06-18, 21:09
I was swimming yesterday when I noticed a mole I’ve always had had dark brown spots in it. Cue instant panic and planning for my death. I decided to be proactive and make a dermatologist appointment to actually get a medical opinion and not googles. I called 8 offices in my area and all were booked until September. I tried to tell them I saw my mole change and needed to be seen sooner and they didn’t do anything. I finally found an appointment in early August but that is still so far away. Now I’m panicking even more. It’s ridiculous that I could have caught it early but the stupid healthcare system can’t see me for months. Now I have to wait and freak out until August.

AMomentofClarity
18-06-18, 21:23
Why not see your GP? They will be able to tell you if it needs further examination, and refer you for a quicker appointment if needed.

Andrash
18-06-18, 22:02
I was swimming yesterday when I noticed a mole I’ve always had had dark brown spots in it. Cue instant panic and planning for my death. I decided to be proactive and make a dermatologist appointment to actually get a medical opinion and not googles. I called 8 offices in my area and all were booked until September. I tried to tell them I saw my mole change and needed to be seen sooner and they didn’t do anything. I finally found an appointment in early August but that is still so far away. Now I’m panicking even more. It’s ridiculous that I could have caught it early but the stupid healthcare system can’t see me for months. Now I have to wait and freak out until August.

I know Google (well done refraining from it this time) says every change in a mole means curtains, but that is simply not true. Mole that changes in most cases IS NOT melanoma. It is something that warrants investigation to rule out scary stuff but nothing more. In your case you did the right thing - you made your appointment with the dermatologist and I am sure in month and a half you will receive the good news. And you are perfectly on time - even the most invasive melanoma (which I am convinced you do not have) cannot develop that much in a month.