PDA

View Full Version : Ibuprofen, heart

fbmb
19-06-18, 02:26
Throughout the past year I have decided that ibuprofen is going to kill me because I read a ton of articles online that said it can cause heart attack. Sucks that I have this fear because it works well for headaches and I get tension headaches occasionally. It’s so bad that I have suffered for HOURS with a horrible headache because of my unwillingness to take it. I’m finally willing to take it but it causes a ton of stress for me. I could try Tylenol but it doesn’t work for me. Useless. I try massage, heat, ice, coffee. Sometimes two ibuprofen are all that will do.

Called the pharmacist who chuckled when I told him I take a couple ibuprofen about once a month or so for a headache - he said that’s nothing. I took some tonight for a headache and of course I’m planning to die.

Someone talk me down please.

AMomentofClarity
19-06-18, 02:31
I can tell you that you will absolutely be fine. But why take my advice when a trained professional (pharmacist) has told you the same?

fbmb
19-06-18, 02:38
I can tell you that you will absolutely be fine. But why take my advice when a trained professional (pharmacist) has told you the same?

I don’t know why I tend to look to regular people to reassure me when doctors tell me things. I haven’t a clue, and I acknowledge that Im ridiculous.

For example, I ate cantaloupe last night and today and my stomach has been upset so I’m convinced that it’s listeria. Good grief health anxiety is a B.

Capercrohnj
19-06-18, 03:37
Taking a few won't hurt you. I have a condition that makes taking nsaids inadviseable (not for heart reasons. I've never heard of that before) but if my pain is bad and I've gone through all my other breakthrough meds I take ibuprofen once in a while and it hasn't caused any issues at all.

jray23
19-06-18, 03:53
I took Ibuprofen in double the normal dose for two months straight earlier this year. While not advisable to take that long, and I did start getting some stomach pain which immediately stopped after stopping the medication, there is no impact on my heart that I know of.

I even saw a cardiologist at the tail end of those two months and he offered me an even stronger NSAID... (with another pill to counter the stomach side effect... I promptly stopped it all then). He didn't once say anything about it being a danger to my heart.

I've read a little that chronic use can potentially increase heart disease risk...but that's pretty vague, that could be an increase from 1% to 1.5%. Taking it for headaches now in then is no big deal. You've got nothing to worry about.

Fwiw Tylenol has more potential for harm than Ibuprofen. (still safe for headaches now and then)

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Pkstracy
20-06-18, 02:34
Ibuprofen is okay if taken in moderation, if you take way to much and I mean a lot, it can damage your liver just like any med if you over do it.

Phill2
20-06-18, 06:51
The main thing with Iboprufen is to take it with food.
I had to stop taking it when on blood thinners but now I'm off em I can take it again.