PDA

View Full Version : Health anxiety set back

Marie2016
19-06-18, 10:43
Hi all!

Recently I’ve had a little set back with my health anxieties. I first started with HA in 2013 and suffered badly for about 12 months, I did some CBT and got a good handle on it and now it’s not with me daily but sometimes rears it’s head a little if I’m ill which is totally understandable.
So recently I’ve had a bit of a tough time! I caught tonsillitis 2 weeks ago and it sent my anxiety into overdrive, I was convinced I’d get complications from the infection and I couldn’t stop worrying and having panic attacks about it, thankfully the tonsillitis is now gone and I’ve calmed down some what, unfortunately throughout my anxiety over that I’ve bitten my nails right down and developed an infection in my nail bed! I’ve had some anxiety over it but I’ve managed to keep it fairly under control, I’ve been prescribed flucloxacillin 500mg for it today which is good but I do feel worried about taking the meds, I’m going to take them but I was wondering if anyone else has medication fears? I’m always concerned about reactions or side effects even with medications I’ve taken in the past with no issue.

How do you deal with medication anxiety?

Sorry for the rant haha.

Thanks x

Ian Haines
19-06-18, 19:54
I fear a lot of things, and taking a med' that I've never taken before is one of the old regulars! I sympathise with you, right away!

Emc
19-06-18, 21:02
I think you have to remember that flucloxacillin is a very commonly prescribed medication. Yes it may give you an upset tummy for a day or two but that will settle - there are very rarely any more significant side effects than that. Infections however can be nasty if not treated properly (which flucloxacillin absolutely will do) so on the balance of risk I would side with the antibiotic.
I do understand how hard that is though - I get very anxious about medications too despite knowing a fair bit about them.

Scass
19-06-18, 21:42
Yes I completely understand.
I was recently on a 2 week course of that for an infected insect bite. Honestly I felt fine. There were a couple of days when I felt a bit nauseous, but it passed quickly and didn’t affect my day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk