PDA

View Full Version : Sertraline kick starting Bipolar?

MrLurcher
19-06-18, 15:27
Hi, I recently posted in the GAD section about my current issues and my background. Can't post a link unfortunately.

I'm currently waiting to been seen by an NHS therapist, but the doctor has offered my Sertraline as well - but to be taken for a minimum of 6 months.

I'm not sure what to do. My father had a 'bad reaction' to anti-depressants 15 years ago and ended up having a nervous breakdown, this was followed by a manic episode 2 years later, and has now been diagnosed with having bipolar.

It was quite traumatic seeing my dad go through those things, so now I have a terrible fear of developing bipolar. I have sometimes thought that my extreme anxiety, ocd and intrusive thoughts could be a symptom of bipolar as well.

I have also read online that people with anxiety should be wary of anti-depressants as they can kick start bipolar in those that are predisposed. My doctor said this is quite rare anyway.

I've ridden quite a bad wave of anxiety for 4 months now, and am struggling with worrying daily, getting quite irritable, panicking and feeling quite down with it all. My partner is seriously fed up with me.

Should I give the tablets a go or wait until I see the therapist? I'm extremely worried about taking them to be honest.

Thanks.

MrLurcher
21-06-18, 16:55
Anyone have thoughts on this??

My appointment is on Monday so will discuss with the therapist then.