PDA

View Full Version : Melonoma worry.. sigh..

Shadowhawk
20-06-18, 02:09
So, i am hoping i can get a sanity check.

I went to the derm last month to have moles checked,but regrettably noticed this spot after the appointment. I will say, i have been fighting mosquitoes badly (they seem to love me.....), and i do have issues where itching can get REALLY bad, and i have scratched holes into my skin before.

My rational side of me says that this is just a scab forming.. but it has been "healing" for a month. I don't know why, but i guess i would expect a wound to heal faster than that. It is about the size of a pencil top, and after scratching it (after noticing it), i did end up taking some skin flakes off it (with my luck, that set it back). It is indented a bit (its not raised at all, just a divot), which i don't know if is normal for cancer..

I hate worrying about it, and i so wish i had seen it for my derm (my next appointment is in sept).

lucylul
20-06-18, 10:55
Usually melanoma isn't in the form of scabs
If you keep scratching it the scab won't heal as fast. Im pretty sure its not melanoma.

Shadowhawk
20-06-18, 13:28
Usually melanoma isn't in the form of scabs
If you keep scratching it the scab won't heal as fast. Im pretty sure its not melanoma.
Thats my problem - my worry says its not a scab, because it can't possibly be there for a month (which i realize is likely wrong, but that's where the anxiety takes me....)

Cptdebbie
21-06-18, 00:28
Anxiety is not rational. That’s the whole problem. Somewhere within us we know the truth, but our worry takes over. Our thoughts become our worst enemy. It’s so hard sometimes. :weep:

I’ve had things that took what seemed like forever to heal. And, I freaked out over it. Then something distracted me and suddenly they were all healed. In fact, I currently have a spot on my hairline that has been sore for over a month. I am super stressed in general and I keep picking at it. Ugh!! I keep remembering my mother (and Jim Carrey as the Riddler) saying, “That’s never going to heal if you don’t stop picking at it.” But, still I pick. :wacko:

I bet if you stop scratching the spot will go away. You got this :bighug1:

Lon
21-06-18, 06:00
Hey there! Some bug bites look like craters or holes. I've had my share of worry from bites like these. If you keep picking at it it's going to take a longer time to heal. My bug bite took a long time to heal and left a scar because i wouldnt leave it alone.

You've made a pretty good case for why this probably isnt skin cancer:
1. Frequent bug bites
2. This has happened before

This really doesn't sound like a melanoma warning sign. I've had melanoma scares as well and gone on google rampages and have never picked up on this as a sign. Don't take too google. Don't touch the scab. Just keep an eye on it and see how it goes without your interference.

Shadowhawk
21-06-18, 16:00
I appreciate the feedback guys. I haven't really been picking at it, but once or twice. That said, now that i am aware of it, i constantly notice it (and i noted it just after my derm appointment.. which is the real trigger. I was worried about moles, then found a spot too late to ask about..).

To help, i have started to put on cocoa butter, as i understand it helps lighten scars and healing.

I know the ods are strong its not cancer, for a variety of reasons. skeeters love my legs, and with two dogs in the house, we are constantly fighting the flea battle. I know that irritation alone can cause bad bites and sores. And i am reasonably sure its not growing, and am virtually sure there was no mole there (again, when i first took my HA notice of it, it was more of a depression, no raised).

Still.. fighting my mind on this one sucks.. hard...