PDA

View Full Version : Rabies fear after contact with a bat

Marcin PL
20-06-18, 15:21
Hi everyone!

I'm from Poland and I'm new to the forum, sadly not new to OCD, GAD and health anxiety. I'm near my 40's now and I've been struggling from anxiety since I remember.

Anxiety comes and goes but sometimes a certain event triggers it again and sends fear sky high.

A few days ago I was standing on my balcony when suddenly something black literally fell from the sky on the floor. I immediately realized it's a bat. It was really small (a young one, as it turned out). I tried to avoid it but it gently bumped my leg. I fled in panic and closed the door from inside. The bat was not able to fly away on it's own. It crawled to my shoe an apparently fell asleep. I put a carton box on top of it... and started to freak out. Did it touch my leg or bite/scratched it? Did it have contact with me that I have no recollection of (I drank 3 beers before)? I started to browse the internet.
"Bat bites are so tiny that you may not see or even feel them", "30% of rabies cases in humans have unknown source" and so on... Extreme fear gripped me by the throat.

Somehow I managed to fell asleep, waking up a few times, thinking it's just a bad dream. But it wasn't.

Next day I called a guy who tends to wild animals in my city and he came, and grabbed the bat (bare hands!) and took it to a shelter. He reassured me there's absolutely nothing to worry about. I was at peace for some time.

Then, "What-Ifs" came. What if he didn't pass the bat to the reserve? What if the bat will be released and will show symptoms afterwards? What if he was a "carrier" (I'm not sure it's possible)?

I started to consider getting vaccinated (even called the hospital - they asked me if the bat bite me - I replied that probably not but I'm not sure - a "sane" person would probably ruled it out).

I will call the reserve tomorrow and ask about my bat-friend.

nomorepanic
20-06-18, 15:32
Oh another bat thread - we have loads.

You will be fine - it didn't even bite you.

NervUs
20-06-18, 15:48
That is crazy!!

Elen
20-06-18, 15:56
That is crazy!!

Just wanted to check if you would be happy if we responded on your thread with this. If so great, but just checking.

Apologies I hit the wrong button and deleted the rest of your post by accident.

Marcin PL
20-06-18, 16:07
Thanks guys!

I know it's crazy, most of my concerns about rabies have been.

Rabies + bats = ultimate phobia, hence so many threads, please don't mind.

Unfortunately, I had shorts.

Today I called the reserve and they told me the bat is healthy and sound. He won't be able to fly for 1-2 weeks which is a time-span that should rule out rabies. I'm actually glad I could help the lad.

The lady that tends to bats told me what you did - rabies in Europe is quite rare.

MyNameIsTerry
20-06-18, 20:08
I like that despite your fear you still did what you could to help the bat. You even got a guy over to help the bat and enquired about it's condition the next day. This shows you are a compassionate, caring person.

Regardless of feeling anything there would need to be puncture marks for a bite. But I think you know this is just about anxiety and how the thoughts scare you into further anxiety.

Think about evidence. What is there that you were bitten vs not bitten? Remember what they have said about being handlers yet never having problems.

Try to reduce your anxiety levels in general e.g. Relaxation exercises, exercise, things you enjoy, etc as it will reduce the intensity of these thoughts.

Marcin PL
20-06-18, 21:31
Thank you, Terry.

I really appreciate your kind words and rational feedback.

:-)