PDA

View Full Version : Pain in chest

Starryeyed
20-06-18, 18:13
I get heart palpitations but my heart rate reading is textbook. As a result of the heart palps I have been holding onto my chest all the time because psychologically I am scared it will collapse even though it won’t. Now I don’t get palps but if I move I get occassional burning sensation. Also bones near my left breast always feel heavy this week as of something is stuck there. My back is a beat achey but I have slept upright this week because of my palpitations. I know it’s all in my head because my heart rate reading is great. Anyone got any CBT on how to stop dwelling on physical sensations in the body. Thanks

Starryeyed
20-06-18, 22:51
Any CBT tips please?

Sabbine17
20-06-18, 23:29
Hi!
There’s a self-help website for CBT called getselfhelp.co.uk, I found the CBT course and the Heath anxiety section helpful.

The basic technique is called STOPP and it stands for stop, step back, take a breath, observe, pull back. It is the essence of CBT, and you learn to use it when the ugly thoughts start creeping in. needs a lot of practice but you’ve made a great step of knowing that the sensations are magnified in your head :) hope you feel better soon!

Starryeyed
21-06-18, 17:44
Hi!
There’s a self-help website for CBT called getselfhelp.co.uk, I found the CBT course and the Heath anxiety section helpful.

The basic technique is called STOPP and it stands for stop, step back, take a breath, observe, pull back. It is the essence of CBT, and you learn to use it when the ugly thoughts start creeping in. needs a lot of practice but you’ve made a great step of knowing that the sensations are magnified in your head :) hope you feel better soon!

Thank you so much. I will look forward to looking at the website tonight. Hope you are ok. Palpitations are scary.

Sabbine17
21-06-18, 20:14
No worries hope it helps!
Thanks it is scary. I have all sorts of symptoms related to heath anxiety atm, it’s hard to tell what’s just anxiety and what’s not but I take it one day at a time :)

Starryeyed
24-06-18, 22:42
No worries hope it helps!
Thanks it is scary. I have all sorts of symptoms related to heath anxiety atm, it’s hard to tell what’s just anxiety and what’s not but I take it one day at a time :)

When I get Palpatations or stitch from anxiety I feel like my body is going to collapse. It’s silly as it is all in my head. Your heart ❣ is the strongest muscle so your body won’t just collapse. I get breathing anxiety when it is warm but struggling to use that with the CBT. Very good website. How would I use breathing as a CBT example?

Starryeyed
27-06-18, 13:53
Any tips

Sabbine17
27-06-18, 22:36
Hey sorry I only saw these now. No it won’t collapse!
That’s interesting because the CBT advice is when you feel the anxiety getting triggered just to stop and take a breath so the breathing anxiety complicates that. I would try to think of a helicopter view, like what would someone see when looking at you and what do other people do in similar circumstances. Air in air out. Feelings like shortness of breath are just your body responding to anxiety.
Have you tried meditation at all? Like headspace. It is narrated and guides your breathing so you will become more aware of it I know it may sound daunting but may help in seeing the therapeutic side of breathing as you will just focus on what your body actually does��