PDA

View Full Version : Questions About Abnormal Blood Test and Reference Ranges

AnxiousRN
21-06-18, 09:55
Hello, I am back after a few months. I've been posting here since 2017 because of left abdominal pain, anal fissure, and hemorrhoids. I've seen a GI doc who told me I have IBS. I've seen my PCP multiple times and a colorectal surgeon who laughed at me because I got too worried about my recurrent fissures and bright red blood on tissue paper after straining because of hard stools. Last year I had my blood taken, the count, the metabolic panel were all normal. My A1C, TSH and LDL were slightly elevated. 2 urinalysis (3mos apart) revealed presence of RBCs 3-4 ( normal is 0-2 ). Ultrasound of kidneys, abdomen, ovaries all normal. A few months passed and finally yesterday I got retested. My CBC were all normal thank God! I was anxious and nearly sure I am anemic but I am not. My TSH, LDL are all within normal limits. I was happy until I saw my Eosinophil count which is 4.3% (ref range 0 - 2.9%) and my Eosinophils Absolute was 0.30 K/mcl ( normal 0.0 - 0.2 ). Total protein was 8.5 not far from the normal range of 6.3 to 8.2. These were all taken at the university medical center where I am currently working.

My question is when I go online, the reference range for Eosinophils is 0 - 6% and Eos Abs is around 0.5? Any doctors on this thread who can help me out? Do my results mean I have something? I've never been sick the last year except for recurring fissures and hemorrhoids and of course abdominal pain. Ive never had colonoscopy or CT Scan. I am worried because google is playing tricks on me again. It says increased eosinophils can be cause my infection, inflammation or cancer and one of them being colorectal cancer and I have symptoms. Could painful fissures and hemorrhoids cause eosinophils to increase? Thanks in advance

Shadowhawk
21-06-18, 14:52
So, i realize it can be scary, but the body is rarely perfect, and levels can vary from time to time. Also, don't forget that reference ranges are only for the "95%", and you can be healthy but outside the range. More than likely, your mild elevation is simply your body fighting an infection somewhere (or as you noted, if you have IBS, inflammation).

That said, i have been dealing with abdominal pain (i swear i can actually follow my large intestines), yellow stools, mucus, and fissues/blood. After seeing the GI, we did the colonoscopy, and thankfully, everything came back perfectly fine. At this point, unless you can work through the anxiety and trust the doctor's word, I would accept the idea of a colonoscopy. It isn't painful, and the prep isn't THAT bad.. More importantly, you will get answers and peace of mind, and that is worth alot.. no?

Fishmanpa
21-06-18, 15:11
You have IBS. That's an inflammatory illness. There's your reason. It's not like the readings were off the chart anyway.

Positive thoughts