PDA

View Full Version : I've already been obsessed about blood clots and now I've hit my arm really hard...

artist12
22-06-18, 17:46
Ugh. For some reason over the last few months I've been really fixated on blood clots/DVT. It started with some pain and cramping in my shin and now I can stop worrying about them in general.

Then last night I hit my arm really hard. Hard to explain but it involved a rambunctious dog, a leash, and me not paying attention, and the best way I can equate it was like a rug burn across my forearm over the corner of a wall. It went tingly for a minute and hurt like heck....it's really sore today but no bruising or anything.

Of course I'm convinced it's crushed or injured a vein in my arm, though, and that it's going to cause DVT.

:weep:

Why must we fixate on things so strongly?? A couple of months ago I was dying of cervical cancer and now I haven't thought about that for one second after a clear pap.

Trying to tell myself this is just another phase and in a few months I won't think of this, either, but blood clots are so scary.

Cptdebbie
22-06-18, 20:22
Dear artist, I think we all fixate on things. That is part of this difficult disease. It can make life so hard at times.

Would it help if I told you that I don't think you have DVT? I would give that same assessment to a loved one.

I move from one disease to the next too. Sometimes I do multiple diseases, but it's usually just one. I am actually relieved when my mind focuses on something that I can talk myself out of easily. :yesyes:

My therapist tells me to 1) thank my health anxiety for trying to protect my body, 2) acknowledge my fear (I really hate this part, but it is necessary if we are ever going to get over our anxiety). Usually I say something like, "Yes, I could die. We'll see." 3) get back to life. At this point I usually try to distract myself. Television or surfing the Internet works for me. I don't do well if I don't engage my mind a little, but too must intellectual pull is overwhelming if I'm anxious.

This methodology is called Acceptance and Commitment Therapy. It has worked well for me. However, if I get stressed or over tired, the anxiety flows back at me like a burst dam and I have to start with the script again.

Good Luck to you! :bighug1:

elasticheart83
23-06-18, 00:05
Don’t worry, you don’t have a blood clot. But even if you DID somehow develop a blood clot in your forearm for some reason, it is no big deal because those are smaller peripheral veins and it wouldn’t be a DVT. I actually had a blood clot in my forearm before (I had an IV in my arm for too long) and the doctor just said to take aspirin and ice it and it’ll eventually go way.

artist12
23-06-18, 19:57
My therapist tells me to 1) thank my health anxiety for trying to protect my body, 2) acknowledge my fear (I really hate this part, but it is necessary if we are ever going to get over our anxiety). Usually I say something like, "Yes, I could die. We'll see." 3) get back to life. At this point I usually try to distract myself. Television or surfing the Internet works for me. I don't do well if I don't engage my mind a little, but too must intellectual pull is overwhelming if I'm anxious.

Thank you so, so much - I am very similar to you in that I typically focus on just one or a few diseases or issues at a time. Sometimes briefly, sometimes for several months. I try to think back and use these times to remind myself how convinced I was at that time that I had something terribly wrong with me and how many times I have been wrong.

---------- Post added at 13:57 ---------- Previous post was at 13:56 ----------

Don’t worry, you don’t have a blood clot. But even if you DID somehow develop a blood clot in your forearm for some reason, it is no big deal because those are smaller peripheral veins and it wouldn’t be a DVT. I actually had a blood clot in my forearm before (I had an IV in my arm for too long) and the doctor just said to take aspirin and ice it and it’ll eventually go way.

Thank you! I know I'm being silly in the rational part of my brain but I stumbled across a weird blood clot awareness website and they have so many horror stories. I should know better than to look at these but it planted the seed. :scared15:

Fishmanpa
23-06-18, 21:11
I stumbled across a weird blood clot awareness website

C'mon Artist.. One doesn't just "stumble" upon a blood clot awareness website :whistles:

Positive thoughts

artist12
26-06-18, 04:40
C'mon Artist.. One doesn't just "stumble" upon a blood clot awareness website :whistles:

Positive thoughts

LOL.....poor choice of words. Oh, I FULLY admit to googling the symptoms when I shouldn't have been, but I strayed from my normal "WebMD" type sources into a site of horror stories....even worse when you find a compilation of crazy stories all in one place that are probably super rare but noteworthy.