PDA

View Full Version : Antibiotics and menstrual cycle?

Anxiousamyj
22-06-18, 18:48
I am currently on Keflex due to an infected tick bite. I have been on it since Sunday. I was supposed to start my period a couple days ago, but no sign of it. I was thinking maybe due to the antibiotics? I don't want to google, because I'm sure I'll end up down some cancer rabbit hole. I can't be pregnant, husband had a vasectomy. Anyone heard of antibiotics being related to menstrual cycle?

Cptdebbie
22-06-18, 20:34
Dearanxiousamyj,
I googled for you. :) Here is the first hit:

"You're taking antibiotics. Antibiotics can muck up the hormones you produce in order to have a period. Some antibiotics hinder oestrogen production, and if this is too low then your body doesn't produce the hormones that stimulate your ovaries to release an egg, meaning no period – or a very delayed one."

I am post-menopausal, but I had very regular periods during my fertile years. However, I can remember a half dozen times when my period was inexplicably very late. My doctor told me that emotions, especially stress or worry, can cause this to happen. Illness (like an infected tick bite) can also upset your cycle.

I think you are fine. Take care. :bighug1:

Anxiousamyj
22-06-18, 21:23
Debbie,
Thanks so much for looking at that for me! I really hope that is the reason, and I feel better knowing that it was the first hit when you looked it up!

nomorepanic
22-06-18, 23:44
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239