PDA

View Full Version : Worried about coming off tablets

phil06
28-07-07, 21:09
I have to come off my tablets to see how I cope by the end of the year and I am worried about it, like my manic depression could come back when I cut them back and I worry that I will be all funny and go back high after it and blow my job or something..the doctor seems to think I wont need them anymore as ive been on them nearly 2 years he thinks it was a one off and it wont come back...he also wants me to cut back my beta blocker tablets as he thinks my anxiety is better now I am suppose to be cutting them back but worry about this aswell. :shrug:

Insomniac
28-07-07, 21:49
It probably doesn't help but I know what you mean.... I am on Seroxat and have been for a year now, and don't feel ready to come off yet. I am taking it for anxiety, though I took venflafaxine/efexor for depression before. I remember being advised by my doctor that if you are on antidepressants its good to keep taking them for a while after you feel better not stop straight away because you might relapse. But as you have been taking yours for 2 years now you doctors seems confident its a good time to try.

May I ask are the beta blockers for anxiety related palpitations? Anxiety about the anxiety sets off more anxiety - thats the difficulty we do all face. It would be funny if it wasn't so annoying!

My doc recommended beta blockers to me, as I said the palpitations are to worst part of the symtoms as they set me off to feeling more panicky and aware, which make the other symptoms appear and get worse. But she said I can just take them when I need them and not all the time. I can take them if I'm travelling or other stressful times.

I do hope this helps. Wwhen you see your doctor again you should discuss your concerns. I'm sure he will reduce your meds very gradually and keep a close eye on you. I do find that having been in deep depression (though not manic) I can now feel it coming on and try to bring myself out before it gets too deep. Maybe you could suggest reducing one lot of meds first then the other? One step at a time is often the best way. These tiny steps can eventually take us where we want to be!:yesyes:

phil06
28-07-07, 22:05
It probably doesn't help but I know what you mean.... I am on Seroxat and have been for a year now, and don't feel ready to come off yet. I am taking it for anxiety, though I took venflafaxine/efexor for depression before. I remember being advised by my doctor that if you are on antidepressants its good to keep taking them for a while after you feel better not stop straight away because you might relapse. But as you have been taking yours for 2 years now you doctors seems confident its a good time to try.

May I ask are the beta blockers for anxiety related palpitations? Anxiety about the anxiety sets off more anxiety - thats the difficulty we do all face. It would be funny if it wasn't so annoying!

My doc recommended beta blockers to me, as I said the palpitations are to worst part of the symtoms as they set me off to feeling more panicky and aware, which make the other symptoms appear and get worse. But she said I can just take them when I need them and not all the time. I can take them if I'm travelling or other stressful times.

I do hope this helps. Wwhen you see your doctor again you should discuss your concerns. I'm sure he will reduce your meds very gradually and keep a close eye on you. I do find that having been in deep depression (though not manic) I can now feel it coming on and try to bring myself out before it gets too deep. Maybe you could suggest reducing one lot of meds first then the other? One step at a time is often the best way. These tiny steps can eventually take us where we want to be!:yesyes:

Yeh the plan is to come off the beta blockers and by christmas then cut back the ones for my depression and see how I am. I'm just worried that if it did come back I would just take the meds again but it worries me that they will take ages to work or something. I mean if i cut them back slowly I am hoping if there is a change in me I can go back on them before it comes back completely.

The beta blockers were just to stop the tightness and stuff :huh: my anxiety has been better over the last few months. :)

lestat
28-07-07, 22:29
Hello all,

I take seroxat and at the moment I'm coming off from them.
I was taking in peak time 40 mg but for the most of the time (8 months) 20mg. Two weeks ago I was taking 20mg and from one week I'm on 10mg and don't feel too good. I feel sometimes dizzy and unreal. I have also some kind od hot "blows". I plan to take one more week 10mg and see how I feel. The reason I'm coming off seroxat is that I want to change to fevarin.
I hope I'll finish with seroxat soon :weep:

Best regardes to all.

Insomniac
28-07-07, 22:29
Hiya,

sounds like you're planning to do it slow & steady. Thats the best way.. Always make sure you see your doctor before you decrease or increase your meds though. It could be that what you feel could not be meds-related. But do keep him informed, you know your self best and you will know when something feels different.

Sounds positive (scary but positive!) go for it!
:yesyes: