PDA

View Full Version : Losing my mind over health anxiety

anxietyg
26-06-18, 14:12
Hello everyone,

First post here, but I've been reading the forum for several months, and finally decided to share my story with you.

Male, caucasian, 28 years, normal weight for my height, pretty healthy in the past, no hospital period etc.

Last year I had a VERY stressful period regarding my health since a doctor found at a routine ecography an enlarged spleen. I've been through countless investigations (colonoscopy, endoscopy, abdominal CT, tests for Hepatitis B, C, HIV etc. all - through the grace of God- all the results were negative).

Did some more bloodwork and found antibodies of a virus called Toxoplasmosis - a cat spreaded virus- that can cause an enlarged spleen.

For several months I had a continuous serious health anxiety shock combined with panic attacks, shortness of breath, lightheadness, dizzyness, racing heart etc, you name it

Because of the dizzyness I had an MRI in September last year and found nothing wrong with my brain. It was a MRI without a contrast substance.

I was googling my symptoms every time I had the chance to use my computer and found some stories about MS, ALS and other neurodegenerative diseases. This january i started developing muscle twitches all over my body: eyelids, scalp, legs, arms, calves, stomach, shoulders, every muscle strand in my body was twitching at a given moment or another.

This set the panic to a new level, I was trying to calm myself by thinking that this is BFS.

What scares me lately is some kind of a foot drag. I've read some stories of patients that said the MS started with feet dragging. Sometimes when I walk i can hear/feel my feets dragging on the surface I walk even though my normal walk/gait is not a draggy one. It doesn't happen that often but it happens. I became so AWARE of the way I walk that i feel like I'm not walking normally. I didn't notice one of the feet to be dragging more than the other.

I don't feel any particular weakness in any of my limbs. I can sprint as I did before, still can jogg for about 2 miles without training prior to this.

The problem is that I am so AWARE of everything that moves in my body "Was that a twitch?" "My finger just twitched?" "Why my head hurts!?" "Why i feel my hand numb?!" and so on.

Right now, my biggest concern is MS/ALS or other diagnostics in this spectrum.

God bless you all!

ankietyjoe
26-06-18, 14:59
The first thing you have to do is stop googling.

You've had all the tests, nothing is wrong.

Googling symptoms is THE main cause of health anxiety. Whatever symptom you put into Google WILL eventually lead to something serious.

So stop doing it.

anxietyg
24-08-18, 08:35
Had another MRI with a MRA sequence (the reason was a sinus infection that I keep treating) and the results of MRI were perfectly normal for the brain but I still have that nasty sinusitis.

This calmed me a bit for a period of time but now I feel somehow numb from the waist down and It's like affecting my walk somehow. I don't know if it's perceived or not or if it's real or not. It's not numbness, I don't know how to explain, but my right leg feels somehow achy. I am thinking so much about my walking and It feels like I'm not walking normal. It's like needing to count my steps or to tell myself "left, right, left, right" while I walk.

Sometimes I catch myself that I'm standing on my toes on one of the legs while the other leg is full foot planted on the ground.

Somehow I feel like my movement and walking are not natural. I feel like I'm losing my mind.

Scass
24-08-18, 08:47
The first thing you have to do is stop googling.

You've had all the tests, nothing is wrong.

Googling symptoms is THE main cause of health anxiety. Whatever symptom you put into Google WILL eventually lead to something serious.

So stop doing it.

This is the right advice.
You don’t have anything wrong with you except health anxiety. You make it worse by googling, and spending time fixated on feelings and symptoms. So you need to stop doing that, but find something to do instead if you can’t just stop.

Every time you want to google do something else instead. Text a friend, phone a friend, exercise, play a game on your phone/pc instead, practice a relaxation exercise or some mindfulness. Eventually you’ll realise how much googling was making you worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk