PDA

View Full Version : Knee operation..

belle
28-07-07, 22:48
In August 2002 i was playing football with my son, i ran up to kick the ball (with some force) and completely missed causing my knee to make a rather unpleasant cracking sound.

Last March i was due to have an operation to fix a tear in the in the cartilage http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/27000672/ However, i was very sick at the time, had chronic tooth problems, i was in a lot of pain, i had glands that kept coming up all over my body (unknown cause) and i basically felt poop, so i cancelled the operation despite having all the pre-op checks etc.

On Wednesday i was playing with my not so small son and he push me off the bed with me landing on my bad knee. I am now unable to walk on it and i am in lots of pain. The only thing that will rectify this issue is having it operated on.

I am scared to have it done....because...
I am scared of the GA.
I am scared of not being able to walk afterwards.
I am scared of getting some horrendous illness in hospital.
I am scared of the pain...
I am just plain old scared.

....but the pain is too much, especially when both of my jobs are "on my feet" jobs, i have no idea how i am going to manage tomorrow at work. I am worried that if i have it done i won't be able to work resulting in me not earning any money and we rely on my wage to buy the groceries.

What should i do?

x

Karen
28-07-07, 23:07
Hi Bluebell

I would suggest the first thing to do would be to see your doctor. Some physiotherapy might help or even if you still need surgery you might need to be re-referred for this again.

Most operations of this kind are done arthroscopically (through small holes in the sides of the knee) and patients can usually walk afterwards, although some physiotherapy might be required.

I am sure a talk with your doctor or the surgeon would help.

Or have you considered seeing an osteopath?

I hope you manage at work ok and are on the mend soon :hugs:

Karen xx

ricric
29-07-07, 12:02
Hi Bluebell. Are you normally medically speaking fit and healthy? I ask because your immune system needs to be comprimised to catch a superbug or anything from a hospital!
I too am scared of GA Im so scared of not coming around again! But dr`s know exactly what they are doing. I work in one LOL. I see it everyday. wont give you the OP if they thought it would comprimise your health..
As for the walking, you will be able to walk, on crutches for a few weeks but you will be able to get about, I promise:winks:
Your scared of pain, so am I..............Thats why they give you pain killers:yesyes:

You will be fine

Celo:)