PDA

View Full Version : Prescribed anti-depressants but health anxiety is making me scared to take them

Ronan23
26-06-18, 16:07
It's the ultimate catch-22 and another indicator of how awful health anxiety is. So, I've suffered from health anxiety and social anxiety disorder for years. I've kind of just existed as a withdrawn person who only interacts with a select few people for the last few years, but at 27 I'm sick of how life-limiting my anxiety is.

I decided the other day to ask my doc for SSRIs again after having taken them before and quitted after less than a week. This time I've been prescribed escitalopram, or Lexapro as it's known. I received the prescription and the meds, but decided to Google when I went home.

I stumbled across compelling evidence that escitalopram causes dose-dependant QT prolongation, which is a potentially lethal side-effect that can cause sudden death. My prescription was 5mg, so I googled "5mg escitalopram QT" and low and behold, I found a case report on a woman whose QT was prolonged after just 5mg escitalopram.

My activities in Googling and worrying extensively about side-effects of meds are clearly signs that I need these meds but now I can't bring myself to take them. Does anyone have any advice? I'd feel like a nuisance going back to my doc and asking for a different SSRI already when I've only been prescribed these a few days ago. Thanks for advice.

Mindprison
26-06-18, 16:19
This is something i've been dealing with for a month or two now. It's a problem i'm going to be getting CBT for as i've still been unable to take my new medication.

Before this goes any further, discuss your concerns with your doctor and they will give you all the reasons why the thing you are afraid of won't happen.

My doctor put it to me this way: "If someone reports a side effect, we need to tell the company who is supplying the drug. Even if we know it's not caused by it. You'd be amazed at some of the side effects people attribute to a medicine"

QT prolongation from meds is only a problem in people with pre-existing heart problems and people taking other meds that also prolong QT. I have also been prescribed escitalopram but I refuse to take it for a different fear.

I wouldn't make a habit of it but if you're scared to take it, do so in the doctor waiting room.

The woman who died likely had long QT syndrome, another heart condition or was taking other medication that prolonged QT. Not something you should worry about.

Fishmanpa
26-06-18, 16:24
I take a cocktail of prescription meds for my physical issues. Every one of them has some really nasty side effects listed. I'm still here so :shrug:

Ultimately, it's up to you. You fed your anxiety by searching out horror stories and essentially just kept yourself in the spiral you've been it. I guess it comes down to how much you want to get better. Do nothing and stay the same or worse or take the med despite the incredibly small risk involved.

Positive thoughts

Anxiousamyj
26-06-18, 17:08
I also have this fear, but for different reasons. I've had a prescription for Zoloft for months, but haven't started it. I tried paxil for 3 days and it made me feel awful. I know the Zoloft would help me if I could just take it.

ankietyjoe
26-06-18, 18:26
If you google 'nose picking' you'll eventually come across a case of somebody dying from it.

If google was banned, 75% of all anxiety cases would disappear overnight.

Halle0587
26-06-18, 19:23
I do the same thing. My doctor (fill in while mine was out) actually asked me if I would refuse a medication if I absolutely needed it, like blood sugar pill or BP pill or something for a health issues that was anxiety. I said of course I would take it if that was my only option. He suggested I give it my BEST shot with the alternatives. The alternatives were see a counselor weekly and exercise by doing something for 20 minutes 7 days a week. Admittedly, I’m acing the counselor and keeping up with a toddler so I count that as more than 20 minutes but I know I can do better in that area. I also had labs and my vitamin B was low, now I’m on 2000mcg of B12 and I make sure the foods I eat have B vitamins, D and Magnesium. I snack more on almonds and try to snack less on junk food-chocolate is my weakness but it’s brutal with anxiety. I cut back on caffeine and I already drink 5-8 bottles of water daily so I kept that where it is. If I could get passed this current health scare I feel like I’d be doing better. Although, I feel like I’m handling this health scare the best I have of any I’ve had. It’s important that through any peak anxiety issues you make sure to force yourself to continue staying the course.

I was prescribed Lexapro, my counselor was so pleased that’s what they gave me to take. My doctor told me to cut it in half, it was also a low does of 5, so it would have been 2.5 if I cut it. I have it if needed, but I’m hoping I don’t.

Andrash
26-06-18, 21:59
Take the meds. Think of it this way - if you had cancer, you would have taken chemo to cure it and live to see another day. Here you need to take anti - depressants in order to get rid of the beast and massively improve quality of your life. So do it. Take the meds, please.

Ian Haines
26-06-18, 22:04
Dr Google is an unkind soul, with scant regard for the sensitivities of those with such neuroses as Health Anxiety. Start with fragments and work your way up to a full tablet/capsule over 10 days. The problem with known side effects listings is that even the most unlikely of side effects will be listed. Because they're all listed, the most ludicrously unlikely ones are just as bold and brash on the paper as the most probably experienced ones.

Take a step forward...make a move. Decide to absolutely avoid them, or to absolutely take them. Sometimes, ANY decision is better than remaining unable to make one.

Fishmanpa
26-06-18, 22:13
Take the meds. Think of it this way - if you had cancer, you would have taken chemo to cure it and live to see another day. Here you need to take anti - depressants in order to get rid of the beast and massively improve quality of your life. So do it. Take the meds, please.

I'm a survivor. I had chemo AND radiation. I had/have permanent side effects from both but I'm here and that's what matters. With a SSRI, you may have some side effects starting up but in the big picture, getting your life back is worth it don't you think?

Positive thoughts

Andrash
26-06-18, 22:14
I'm a survivor. I had chemo AND radiation. I had/have permanent side effects from both but I'm here and that's what matters. With a SSRI, you may have some side effects starting up but in the big picture, getting your life back is worth it don't you think?

Positive thoughts

I cannot agree more.

ServerError
26-06-18, 22:59
Sertraline (Zoloft) pretty much saved my life. Twice actually. The start up symptoms were grim but once I get through it I'm astonished by how effective it is. Obviously I'm just one person but it can still help to hear positive stories.

scot0721
27-06-18, 14:38
I think it is just important that you communicate with your doctor/counselor when you are on these types of medicine.

Paxil saved me from panic attacks, but after about 6 months taking it and after a lot of trials in my life. My doctor/psychiatrist told me that it caused rapid recycle bi-polar in my case and took me off it right away.

So don't let google scare you from taking the medication, but just use proper caution and keep health care professionals involved.

SadguyFL
30-06-18, 19:21
Lexapro literally saved my life 3 years ago. It wasn't easy taking them and the first week can be rough. But you will thank yourself later. I'm not saying it's perfect. I'm having a very rough patch now with HA. But you will see the difference after several weeks.

It's the ultimate catch-22 and another indicator of how awful health anxiety is. So, I've suffered from health anxiety and social anxiety disorder for years. I've kind of just existed as a withdrawn person who only interacts with a select few people for the last few years, but at 27 I'm sick of how life-limiting my anxiety is.

I decided the other day to ask my doc for SSRIs again after having taken them before and quitted after less than a week. This time I've been prescribed escitalopram, or Lexapro as it's known. I received the prescription and the meds, but decided to Google when I went home.

I stumbled across compelling evidence that escitalopram causes dose-dependant QT prolongation, which is a potentially lethal side-effect that can cause sudden death. My prescription was 5mg, so I googled "5mg escitalopram QT" and low and behold, I found a case report on a woman whose QT was prolonged after just 5mg escitalopram.

My activities in Googling and worrying extensively about side-effects of meds are clearly signs that I need these meds but now I can't bring myself to take them. Does anyone have any advice? I'd feel like a nuisance going back to my doc and asking for a different SSRI already when I've only been prescribed these a few days ago. Thanks for advice.