PDA

View Full Version : Scared: Do I have MS, Nephropathy, A Pinched Nerve, or Just Anxiety?

John O'Reilly
26-06-18, 18:49
Alright so this is my first ever post on No More Panic. So here it goes.

Over the past couple of weeks I've been having some strange sensations in my feet and hands. I tend to get either a burning or a zapping like pain. The symptoms tend to happen most when I am driving or sitting at my desk.

My symptoms tend to lessen or disappear when I stand up to go do something, go for a short walk, or ride my bike. Also, I notice that if I ever wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, I have no symptoms. Heck, sometimes when I am really engrossed or captivated by something (TV show, podcast, conversation) I don't seem to notice anything wrong.

Pins and needles, burning sensation, etc. could indicate some horrific conditions and I fear greatly that I may be developing something horrible like MS, or peripheral nephropathy. I am however not suffering any fatigue or vision problems.

I've read that this could all just be anxiety (dear God I hope so), and symptoms of hyperventilation that accompany anxiety. I don't particularly notice any strange breathing pattern though.

I've gone to my doctor who sent me for a B-12 and a thyroid blood test. I have yet to get the results. I'm scheduled to go back to my doctor in mid July and I have a mind to definitely ask for more tests.

I'm so incredibly terrified.

I would greatly appreciate any insight that anyone could offer. The past year has actually been pretty stressful. Could this all just be anxiety/stress manifesting itself physically?

Boosh
26-06-18, 19:06
I had similar problem for a long time - my symptoms are just so unnerving, it's hard to imagine anxiety alone can cause them, but at the same time they do dissapear when I'm occupied with something or have a better mood for day or two. I've done lots of tests, of course having HA I still worry about them, but I try to be rational here - my symptoms appearead along with additional stress and anxiety and are magnified when my mood is low or I focus too much on them.

My symptoms are mostly twiches and random pains (MS? pacreatic cancer?), but my friend had symptoms similar to yours, she spent almost a year looking for an answer,, and eventually she was diagnosed with anxiety. She was prescribed anxiety meds and she's symptoms free for 3? 4? years now.

So yeah, I'm pretty sure it's just your anxiety. It's good to be cautios and check out the symptoms that worry you, but you have to stay rational - if most of us here developed physical symptoms because of our anxiety, you probably also did ;)

Fishmanpa
26-06-18, 19:35
I have neuropathy and I assume that's what you mean. Mine was caused by chemo treatment and it affects my feet. They're basically numb. I get what I call "stabbies" as it's like I'm being stabbed with an ice pick. This happens 24/7. The numbness makes it feel like I'm walking on scrunched up socks. They also just ache and hurt and always "feel" cold. I say "feel" because I can't really tell. They can be toasty and they feel cold and they can be like ice and it's just a little worse but it's a constant feeling 24/7. That's neuropathy for me.

I don't think that the case with you at all. It could be a nerve issue as you're in a seated position when they happen and of course anxiety can and does exasperate the symptoms.

I'm not a sufferer but in 2016 my wife got seriously ill. During the two months she was in the hospital, I had a lot of stress related symptoms. Insomnia, tingling, twitches etc. so I know personally how stress and anxiety can manifest itself.

Let us know how you get on.

Positive thoughts

elasticheart83
27-06-18, 08:03
Anxiety can absolutely cause tingling in the hands and feet. Or it can be caused by something benign like a pinched nerve. I have similar sensations and some others. It’s hard though because when you have these “abnormal sensations” and are already anxious about it being something neurological, you tend to search your body for new symptoms and always feel like you’re watching out at all times (at least in my experience). Hopefully your test results will give you some peace of mind and you can relax some. Please keep in mind that if you had something very seriously wrong with you your symptons would likely be more severe.

mrmartyd
27-06-18, 09:13
I had the same problems many years ago and over 13 years later I'm still fine and no longer have any symptoms of any kind. It's possible that your heightened state of anxiety is causing your body to move blood around to prepare for a threat leaving less blood in other parts of the body causing tingling/pins and needles/numbness etc.