PDA

View Full Version : Agoraphobia, heart attack fears, health anxiety, isolated spaces.

jt9
26-06-18, 19:57
I have joined this forum in search of others who may suffer from similar triggers to mine. It's easy to feel overwhelmingly alone suffering from an anxiety disorder like agoraphobia and I still don't know if anyone out there suffers in a similar way to me. If what I describe seems familiar, please do get in touch.

This year is 4 years since the beginning of a chronic fear of isolated spaces, such as fields, country roads when on my own, when in remote locations, out at sea, mountains, hills, etc etc. Anywhere far from other people, more or less. This invokes a fear inside of me that I will not be in reach of assistance if I have a serious medical problem like a heart attack - DESPITE - being in excellent health and only being 20 years old. This is even confirmed by medical appointments in an effort to bring reassurance. Yet, a week ago, months following any form of panic attack, I am out cycling in the country fields and I feel like this is the end. I am having a cardiac episode and need help. I can't escape, it's the worst anxiety that's hit me in years. Of course, its not a heart attack, it's one hell of a panic attack which made my chest really pound. It ended once I got a little closer back to the road where cars and people were. But on my own out in the field, I just couldn't think of anything but the fear of having a heart attack, dying out there on my own.

Do you find yourself fearing an unrealistic medical condition? But only under certain situations, like being in isolated places?

This currently is affecting my life big time.

Comments and suggestions welcomed.

James

venusbluejeans
26-06-18, 20:08
Hiya jt9 and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

Mcbox
28-06-18, 00:06
Hi James,

I think you'll find that phobias and panic attacks go hand-in-hand. I can tell you that before my own episode, I was never afraid of going outdoors, and panic has changed me in many ways. Yes, the feeling of being trapped in a situation is a good way to trigger it.

I wish I could tell you to try and pinpoint what triggers your anxiety and avoid those situations, but that will only drive you indoors. I don't want to sound cliche, but if you can try and breathe and convince yourself you're going to be fine no matter what happens, maybe that will bring some relief.

GiantMogwai
30-06-18, 18:11
Hi Guys,

I fear both - with too many people I feel overloaded and scared of being trapped. Out in the middle of nowhere i fear I won't be able to get help. Pretty logical if you think about it.

I am alone at home now and feel afraid but i have a phone and neighbours. I'm afraid as i had an extreme screaming panic attack yesterday and my heart rate is still elevated. I also have an inguinal hernia and in the back of my mind I get a little worried that it might become an emergency.

I talked with my partner yesterday about going on holiday and the first thing I said was yes maybe but it has to be a 20 minute drive from a major hospital, but isolated enough to be away from the crowds.

James - try cycling with a friend, or on a route that feels a little safer, and also something to think about is that when cycling you might actually get a blast of natural exhilaration that you misinterpret as panic which then causes a panic attack if that makes sense.

Another idea is maybe use a heart rate monitor. Although some therapists would advise against it if i ever worry about my heart i can look at the rate and then see that things are normal enough. OK, it's not an ECG but it's something.

I went through years of worrying about my heart. I still do. Just mitigate against the risk a little and carry on. Cycling is supposed to be good for your heart after all. Make sure you keep getting checked up every now and then by your doctor and if you have any black outs while cycling it is essential to get this looked at thoroughly.

I'm not a doctor so obviously I can't advise in that capacity at all, but from an anxiety point of view some of the above might help.

Delboyfc74
30-06-18, 20:38
hello there, i suffer terrible traveling in any sort of transport cars/buses/ trains/ and i havent flown in about ten years, its hard to explain but just say im in a car and then most times i get this terrible fear that i feel like im dying this is ruinning my life as i never travel far journeys but it wasnt always this way, just wish it would go.

derek

GiantMogwai
30-06-18, 21:17
Derek, does it make any difference if you are in a car that is low to the road or one high up? Does having a window open help? What is the predominant source of your fear if any? The car, the road, your speed, the feeling of being trapped in, the other people on the road, your anticipation of how long the journey will take?