PDA

View Full Version : Panic attack following coughing/choking fit

Birb
26-06-18, 20:34
Hello

So I've recently had a bad cold which has now turned into the coughing/phlegm phase, I had an incident just a few hours ago where the phlegm was extremely thick and sticky and I was unable to cough it up and so started choking since I couldn't breathe. I had to physically force myself to stop coughing and took a sip of water, which felt terrible as I could still feel the phlegm in a weird position in my throat. I haven't coughed since and am very scared to start coughing again incase the same thing happens again.

I do have a history of problems with excess mucus/post nasal drip/difficulty swallowing (I was sick constantly as a child which led to my enamel eroding and repeated cavities on my back molars, so I wonder if it managed to damage my teeth it must have effected my throat?).

I'm wondering if anyone can offer advice on what I could do to soften the phlegm or if anyone has had similar issues.

I did call nhs24 and they weren't helpful. I was hoping to get an out of hours appointment so I could be prescribed an expectorant to ease the mucous but they were very dismissive and I ended up crying, to which they hung up on me.

Any help is appreciated on what you think I should do, I can't cope with this phlegm and feel like I'm suffocating :( :(