PDA

View Full Version : Reduced feeling in big toe - ms fears

elasticheart83
27-06-18, 07:13
I’m having a hard time lately.

I’ve had terrible MS worries ever since I started having tingling in my hands and feet a few months ago. I had a lot going on st the time, including a UTI, panic attacks, and some brutal zoloft startup symptoms. I eventually attributed my symptoms to anxiety and as my anxiety eased up with the use of my medication, so did my tingling.

However, then my hands started falling asleep in the night, which also caused me some terror for awhile. Finally, I realized that the symptoms in my hands are likely from carpal tunnel syndrome, or something like it. My hand symptoms are worse after working on my computer or lifting weights and the hands falling asleep at night is a classic carpal tunnel syndrome. After several appointments with my GP, I finally got a referral to see a neurologist about CTS on july 31. So everything was kind of squared away, just waiting for an official diagnosis...

But then I started having some issues with my feet. In particular my big toe on my right foot has reduced sensation. The toe started tingling after a long day of walking around and also driving in those Sanuk shoes that are basically glorified sandals. I’ve noticed reduced sensation in it since then and it feels funny when I scrunch it up, if that makes sense. I’m hoping it’s some kind of local nerve impingement but it’s worrying to me nonetheless and often times I am almost sure I have MS, as I know numb feet is a symptom. I also get random cold sensations in my legs and have frequent urination and constipation.

I realize some of my symptkms are likely from anxiety but obviously the partially numb toe is what it is - some kind of nerve issue. Does this sound like it could be MS? Or could CtS be reducing my overall circulation, causing issues in my feet too? Or just lingering symptoms from bad footwear? My doctor appointment is so far away and I’m pretty sure I’m going to ruin my summer fretting about it.

I am a single mother of l a very active four year old daughter and have very limited childcare for her which seems to make everything so much more difficult. At the same time, she inspires me to be strong even when I’m struggling so hard with anxiety, because I know I don’t have a choice. I have a boyfriend who I see a couple times a week but for some reason I don’t want to tell him too many details of my health anxiety issues lest I push him away.

Thanks to anyone who read all of this. Wondering if anyone could relate or have any useful advice about any of these issues.

HelloPanda23
27-06-18, 07:34
I’m having a hard time lately.

I’ve had terrible MS worries ever since I started having tingling in my hands and feet a few months ago. I had a lot going on st the time, including a UTI, panic attacks, and some brutal zoloft startup symptoms. I eventually attributed my symptoms to anxiety and as my anxiety eased up with the use of my medication, so did my tingling.

However, then my hands started falling asleep in the night, which also caused me some terror for awhile. Finally, I realized that the symptoms in my hands are likely from carpal tunnel syndrome, or something like it. My hand symptoms are worse after working on my computer or lifting weights and the hands falling asleep at night is a classic carpal tunnel syndrome. After several appointments with my GP, I finally got a referral to see a neurologist about CTS on july 31. So everything was kind of squared away, just waiting for an official diagnosis...

But then I started having some issues with my feet. In particular my big toe on my right foot has reduced sensation. The toe started tingling after a long day of walking around and also driving in those Sanuk shoes that are basically glorified sandals. I’ve noticed reduced sensation in it since then and it feels funny when I scrunch it up, if that makes sense. I’m hoping it’s some kind of local nerve impingement but it’s worrying to me nonetheless and often times I am almost sure I have MS, as I know numb feet is a symptom. I also get random cold sensations in my legs and have frequent urination and constipation.

I realize some of my symptkms are likely from anxiety but obviously the partially numb toe is what it is - some kind of nerve issue. Does this sound like it could be MS? Or could CtS be reducing my overall circulation, causing issues in my feet too? Or just lingering symptoms from bad footwear? My doctor appointment is so far away and I’m pretty sure I’m going to ruin my summer fretting about it.

I am a single mother of l a very active four year old daughter and have very limited childcare for her which seems to make everything so much more difficult. At the same time, she inspires me to be strong even when I’m struggling so hard with anxiety, because I know I don’t have a choice. I have a boyfriend who I see a couple times a week but for some reason I don’t want to tell him too many details of my health anxiety issues lest I push him away.

Thanks to anyone who read all of this. Wondering if anyone could relate or have any useful advice about any of these issues.

As far as I've read, MS is a chronic condition that is totally manageable if you keep yourself healthy through diets and such. Considering this, even if you get MS, you can live on a normal life with the use of supplements and other activities designed to keep the muslces working. This is all based on what I've read, so please don't worry.

elasticheart83
27-06-18, 07:53
Thanks for your response panda. That is a very good point. I guess it’s the “not knowing” I struggle with the most and even not being able to trust my own judgment. When I get a new “symptom” I’m never sure if it’s a big deal, or something I’m making a big deal out of because of my heightened anxiety. It’s been some of hardest and darkest few months of my life. Some moments I suspect my most serious problem is anxiety and others I’m convinced it’s something life-ending. But you’re right, even a chronic illness like MS (if I had it) isn’t the end of the world.

Mostu
27-06-18, 10:20
Yeah, just what Panda said. I recently too had MS scares, but what helped me ease my mind(and also made the symptoms disappear) was acknowledging three things:

1) MS is very unlikely to get by chance.

2) There are many benign reasons for paresthesias(anxiety, vitamin B12 deficiency and so on)
3) EVEN if I got MS, then the illness is CHRONIC, not TERMINAL. It doesn't kill you, and with proper medication and rehabilitation, many people live normal lives, and the life expectancy doesn't really differ from the average life expectancy. Of course, the disease may eventually cause you discomfort in 15-20 years, but look at the pace of medicine evolving. Before, HIV was a terminal disease, and now people live normal lives with it. So even if you were diagnosed of MS, I'm pretty certain that before you start feeling any major discomfort from it, a cure or some inhibitionary drug will already be invented.

elasticheart83
27-06-18, 17:44
Yeah, just what Panda said. I recently too had MS scares, but what helped me ease my mind(and also made the symptoms disappear) was acknowledging three things:

1) MS is very unlikely to get by chance.

2) There are many benign reasons for paresthesias(anxiety, vitamin B12 deficiency and so on)
3) EVEN if I got MS, then the illness is CHRONIC, not TERMINAL. It doesn't kill you, and with proper medication and rehabilitation, many people live normal lives, and the life expectancy doesn't really differ from the average life expectancy. Of course, the disease may eventually cause you discomfort in 15-20 years, but look at the pace of medicine evolving. Before, HIV was a terminal disease, and now people live normal lives with it. So even if you were diagnosed of MS, I'm pretty certain that before you start feeling any major discomfort from it, a cure or some inhibitionary drug will already be invented.

Such good points, thank you. It’s interesting how so many of us with anxiety are afraid of MS when it’s really not such a terrible condition to have. My aunt has it actually and she’s in her 70s and doing pretty well.

My toe seems a little better today ... I think it’s probably worse at night after a long day of walking... which I guess would indicate it’s more of a foot problem than a systemic problem.

Ryzinn
27-06-18, 19:33
Read the big MS sticky thread at the top of the forum. Many many many people have had similar issues including me. For a few months in early winter I was having some issues with my right pinky toe similar to what you describe. I also had issues with my pinky and ring fingers being asleep constantly when I would wake up every morning.

Trust me when I say this, it's anxiety. When you convince yourself you have some kind of sinister neurological disorder it's easy for your body to manifest symptoms and this can be especially true if you suffer from anxiety or have gone through high periods of stress recently. That is ultimately how all my issues manifested.

Last summer I had constant tingling, buzzing, lightheadedness, vision issues etc etc. I was absolutely convinced I had MS but in reality my own anxiety over the situation was feeding these sensations and thus furthering my own anxiety over it. It's a nasty cycle that a lot of people get stuck on.

The absolute best advice I can give you is to give your body time and BE PATIENT. It can take months for this to calm down and for your sensations to completely go away. Also, unless something is failing in dramatic fashion (you can't walk, one complete side of your body is numb for weeks/months on end, you lose vision in one eye, etc.) its EXTREMELY unlikely you have MS as it's very rare to begin with.

Again, read the MS thread at the top of the forum for more info. So many ppl like me and you who assume the worst, yet no one positively diagnosed yet.

elasticheart83
28-06-18, 00:07
Read the big MS sticky thread at the top of the forum. Many many many people have had similar issues including me. For a few months in early winter I was having some issues with my right pinky toe similar to what you describe. I also had issues with my pinky and ring fingers being asleep constantly when I would wake up every morning.

Trust me when I say this, it's anxiety. When you convince yourself you have some kind of sinister neurological disorder it's easy for your body to manifest symptoms and this can be especially true if you suffer from anxiety or have gone through high periods of stress recently. That is ultimately how all my issues manifested.

Last summer I had constant tingling, buzzing, lightheadedness, vision issues etc etc. I was absolutely convinced I had MS but in reality my own anxiety over the situation was feeding these sensations and thus furthering my own anxiety over it. It's a nasty cycle that a lot of people get stuck on.

The absolute best advice I can give you is to give your body time and BE PATIENT. It can take months for this to calm down and for your sensations to completely go away. Also, unless something is failing in dramatic fashion (you can't walk, one complete side of your body is numb for weeks/months on end, you lose vision in one eye, etc.) its EXTREMELY unlikely you have MS as it's very rare to begin with.

Again, read the MS thread at the top of the forum for more info. So many ppl like me and you who assume the worst, yet no one positively diagnosed yet.

Thank you so much! This is very helpful. It really is crazy the lengths that our anxious minds will go to to convince us we are seriously ill.