PDA

View Full Version : Derealization

sammie13s
27-06-18, 11:22
My right arm seems foreign. Like it isn't mine. It doesn't look like it's mine and it doesn't feel as though it's mine. It's totally freaking me out. I think I'm having derealization and it's scaring the crap out of me. It feels numb/tingley.

ServerError
27-06-18, 12:29
I've felt that exact feeling. It's scary but you're best chance of it going away quickly is not to worry about it. It's a harmless sensation. Remember - although you feel odd, you still know your arm is yours.

DP/DR were major features of my first breakdown. They crop up from time to time if I'm stressed but I don't pay itvany attention anymore. The less focus you give it, the quicker it goes away. Your mind is asking for a rest.

sammie13s
27-06-18, 15:25
My vision is shocking too. Everything looks weird and doesn't feel right. The arm thing though is freaking me out. Racing thoughts too. I lowered my dose of mitazipine by half about 6 weeks ago. Started to feel agitated and anxious. Upped my dose back to 30mg and now I'm left like this. I'm not living. I'm just existing. Constantly trying to stop myself from freaking out and going into panic overload. Absolutely terrifies me. Xxx

ServerError
27-06-18, 15:36
I had the same thing. I felt like I was viewing the world through a haze. It was almost as if life was a movie I was watching. Very hard sensation to convey. As with most anxiety sufferers, I've had racing thoughts too.

As I say, you mind is telling you it needs a rest. That doesn't mean you need to just switch off your racing thoughts. It means it need some you to give up the fight and practice accepting things as they are for now. You're piling worry on top of worry at the moment. I am completely free of all DP/DR now. Take it from me, it's a temporary sensation that can be overcome and will pass if you just give yourself a break.

It can also be caused by starting new medications or increasing doses, of course.

Kramze
27-06-18, 17:28
My right arm seems foreign. Like it isn't mine. It doesn't look like it's mine and it doesn't feel as though it's mine. It's totally freaking me out. I think I'm having derealization and it's scaring the crap out of me. It feels numb/tingley.

I've tried that serveral times. It's nothing to worry about.

Had to come back and edit my comment.

It's important to add that you need to get help if you're having mental problems. It's alright to look for reassurance and listen to peoples experiences, but remember, it's your body, and it's not up to anyone but professionals to give you the optimal treatment.

However, what you describe sounds very familiar, and I've had no physical issues related with those symptoms. I've even told numerous doctors and psychiatrists about this feeling, and they've all stated that it's nothing to worry about; it's in my head.

But please make sure you get the right help before listening to anyone online.
One last thing though! By 'mental problems' I mean anxiety or any related disorder.

Kramze
28-06-18, 03:17
Whoops, replied instead of editing my comment :doh: