PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article about pain and psychological causes

Anxiousamyj
28-06-18, 03:00
I am a graduate student in psychology. I’m taking a course in assessment now and this was an article my professor suggested we read. I thought it applied to HA quite a bit and I wanted to share.
https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/articles/8040-chronic-back-pain-psychological-factors

jray23
28-06-18, 04:46
Great article, thanks for sharing. This quote from it seems all too real!

"Pain that the brain thinks is important will be amplified, and those that it thinks are of no consequence will be lessened."

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

MyNameIsTerry
28-06-18, 04:58
Yes, thanks for posting this, it was very informative.

I remember a Mindfulness article that was discussing it's use in painful conditions. In this case it was someone who was suffering pain due to an accident (rock climbing fall, I think) and how using Mindfulness to stay present and not spend time in a negative focus on those symptoms demonstrated a reduction in perceived pain.

The conclusion was how pain can be dialled up or down. Just like it says in hire article.

It's very true. When I have blips I have noticed pains I normally feel are amplified. As the blip ends the pains reduce back to normal levels

I've seen CBT used for more than mental health conditions e.g. cancer symptom management, asthma symptom management, etc. Just like with us they are working on how you perceive your situation and how you feel.

pulisa
28-06-18, 08:35
CBT has a really important part to play with chronic pain management and the mind-body syndrome. I've found a lot of interesting information on the Tension Myositis Syndrome website.

Kramze
28-06-18, 09:36
I am a graduate student in psychology. I’m taking a course in assessment now and this was an article my professor suggested we read. I thought it applied to HA quite a bit and I wanted to share.
https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/articles/8040-chronic-back-pain-psychological-factors

Thanks for sharing. Although for me, it seemed like redundant basic psychological information.

Have you read the 9 CBT pages from the sticky? It'll probably be interesting (and possibly relevant) to you.

vicky23
28-06-18, 12:08
I enjoyed reading that thanks for sharing!

Anxiousamyj
28-06-18, 17:37
It's such an interesting and holistic approach. I think doctors were scoffing at this type of thinking even 10 years ago. Some still do. I'm happy to see that the mental health force is at least being trained in this mind body medicine.

pulisa
28-06-18, 17:56
The holistic approach is already being used in pain management clinics over here which is a very good development from just doling out meds.

Anxiousamyj
28-06-18, 18:33
CBT has a really important part to play with chronic pain management and the mind-body syndrome. I've found a lot of interesting information on the Tension Myositis Syndrome website.
I, too, have checked out this website and found it very interesting and eye opening.

---------- Post added at 13:33 ---------- Previous post was at 13:28 ----------

Thanks for sharing. Although for me, it seemed like redundant basic psychological information.

Have you read the 9 CBT pages from the sticky? It'll probably be interesting (and possibly relevant) to you.

I haven't read the CBT pages. I am in CBT and I'm trained in how to administer it as well. I'll have to give the pages a read, though. My therapist was telling me yesterday that she was thinking of making a referral to a more psychodynamic therapist for me, as I seem to have such a deep seeded cancer fear that is so intrusive and obsessional. She thinks there may be some hidden issue from childhood or something. I'm kind of interested in that, but it sounds very all encompassing. I like CBT so much because it's simple and all about redirection and distraction.

Kramze
28-06-18, 23:52
I, too, have checked out this website and found it very interesting and eye opening.

---------- Post added at 13:33 ---------- Previous post was at 13:28 ----------

I haven't read the CBT pages. I am in CBT and I'm trained in how to administer it as well. I'll have to give the pages a read, though. My therapist was telling me yesterday that she was thinking of making a referral to a more psychodynamic therapist for me, as I seem to have such a deep seeded cancer fear that is so intrusive and obsessional. She thinks there may be some hidden issue from childhood or something. I'm kind of interested in that, but it sounds very all encompassing. I like CBT so much because it's simple and all about redirection and distraction.

Hmm I see. It's funny, because my doctor told me about a common phenomenon that develops among students related to medicine and psychology. There are many things you need to be aware of, and som people increase their fear for rare physical illnesses, along with psychological illnesses. Anyway, I wish you the best during your studies! You're probably also seeking reassurance to some degree, but I'm happy to see your logical approach by sharing informative content. Thanks! :)